Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruits

Not sure how I feel about his size...
    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
      He is a two star recruit. From the Chicago area. He fits our playing style which does not have height requirements.

Comment

Does anyone know what other offers he had?
        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Does anyone know what other offers he had?
          UMBC (Maryland-Baltimore County I believe), and Furman

Also had interest from St. Louis

I agree on his size, both height and physical size. But my guess is he'll redshirt

I haven't done a ton of research on him, but from what I've heard, one of the top PG recruits not signed in the state of Illinois. I've heard him mentioned as a top 3 PG in the Chicago Metro. For as big on recruits as I once was, I've kinda calmed because 1/4th transfer and 1/4th get injured or just don't pan out to what is expected.

Comment

Reminds me of Mackenzie Casey.

Comment

His build really isn't much different than George Marshall's coming out of high school.

While height is nice, it's not overly important for the point guard position compared to other tangibles/intangibles.

Nate Wolters spoiled us into thinking that 6'3/6'4 guards can become great ball handlers, but the truth is most of them are more like Jake Bittle, who can put the ball on the floor but don't have nearly the ball security a pure point guard would. This isn't a knock on Jake, either, it just simple physics. The shorter the bounce of the ball from floor to hand, the easier it is to control.

I'll give up a couple inches for some handles and court awareness any day of the week, and this kid appears to have it.

I'm actually excited that we're bringing in a true point guard rather than a combo guard who we'd try to convert into a point guard.
              Last edited by Kemo; 03-12-2015, 06:28 AM. Reason: me no good at english
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Gentry sounds like a smart, articulate kid. I like his attitude about the importance of good defense, playing hard and, as a point guard, his duty to help team mates succeed. He looks like a true point guard. Other than Marshall, the Jacks don't have one of those.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  His build really isn't much different than George Marshall's coming out of high school.

While height is nice, it's not overly important for the point guard position compared to other tangibles/intangibles.

Nate Wolter's spoiled us into thinking that 6'3/6'4 guards can become great ball handlers, but the truth is most of them are more like Jake Bittle, who can put the ball on the floor but don't have nearly the ball security a pure point guard would. This isn't a knock on Jake, either, it just simple physics. The shorter the bounce of the ball from floor to hand, the easier it is to control.

I'll give up a couple inches for some handles and court awareness any day of the week, and this kid appears to have it.

I'm actually excited that we're bringing in a true point guard rather than a combo guard who we'd try to convert into a point guard.
                  This is correct. We are lucky to get him. ESPN pointed out Dick Nagy in the crowd. Just wondering if he helped point the staff in this direction. I would love to give rep pt. But cannot do it now

Comment

Story out of Chitown

http://basketball.dailyherald.com/ar...orts/150319681

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      He plays wing at DeLaSalle . Gopher recruit Jarvis Johnson is the PG there. From what I've read , going inside and posting up is the strongest part of his game. Has been working on his perimeter game. It sounds like Marquette might be the favorite.
                      Exactly, dominated state tournament. 6-5 close to 200 looks like. Real deal. Jacks could have used that, vicious going to the basket, but still a nice mid range shot. Collins, a somewhat similar type player to UND, plus the 6th ranked sophomore recruit, think I heard them say. Could wind up with 4 DI players from that starting team. 4th straight class 3A champ.

Comment

Cole Gentry was named to the Chicago Sun-Times All-Area team. Lot of high major commits on that list.

Also was named Elgin Courier-News Boy's basketball player of the year.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          VanVleet from Wichita St is 6'0" and 195. If Cole can come in and control the floor he'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            VanVleet from Wichita St is 6'0" and 195. If Cole can come in and control the floor he'll be fine.
                            I see this as a Jake Bittle get in terms of talent. The better our season record and the further we advance in the NIT and Big Dance our chances improve for this level of talent.

Comment

Tevin King indicated via Twitter he was taking a visit to South Dakota State. Would we take two freshman guards?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                Tevin King indicated via Twitter he was taking a visit to South Dakota State. Would we take two freshman guards?
                                Would probably mean that a player currently on the roster is leaving unless someone is willing to pay their way for a year. If not now , there is a great need for shooting guards in the next class.

Comment

Working...
                                X