2015 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruits

JUCO bigs have been a subject of speculation in past seasons. I don't have any personal knowledge of the situation but recall TV making the point (over and over) that any decent ones get plenty of high-major calls.

Comment

Every college and half the pro teams in America are looking for the rare 6-10, 250-pound post who is athletic. But a 6-7 Fiegen type also can be effective. The Jacks are sitting pretty good with Theisen, Devine and Logan developing in the wings. They are all underclassmen and are all at least 6-8. Daum, who is redshirting, is in that height range too, though I understand he's more of a perimeter player.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Not really. College basketball is guard driven. You can win, especially in the Summit, with less than stellar post play. You can't win without good guard play.
        This, 3 AND harm...

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          JUCO bigs have been a subject of speculation in past seasons. I don't have any personal knowledge of the situation but recall TV making the point (over and over) that any decent ones get plenty of high-major calls.
          Quality JUCO bigs are a scarce commodity. Usually is some forward or large guard that plays the spot. Usually 4/5 of the team are guards in HS. Have seen some play that probably were good bigs, but could not keep up with the helter-skelter of JUCO play. Rochester CTC had a 6-8' 230 player that absolutely feasted at both ends several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Don't consider Ian anywhere near where Tony Fiegan was from an athletic side. Ian would have been well served by a redshirt, but lack of depth there necessitated he play sooner. Not giving up on Ian, but he has looked really awful at times even for a freshman.
            Fiegen averaged 8.7 minutes, 3.2 points and 1.7 rebounds a game as a freshman. Players get better.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

SDSU has 5 players who are 6-8 and over. Only one of them is a senior (Cody Larson) and the rest are sophomores (Devine), freshman (Theisen, Doyle), and a red-shirt (Daum). Bigs are not a necessity for the next 2 classes imo. I think we got something good in Daum, Doyle, and Theisen. Devine can be a solid backup and maybe even a starter next year if he works on his offense and adds probably another 10lbs or so. The Jacks NEED at least 2 true PGs within the next two classes. Preferably 1 juco/transfer in the 2016 class after Moffitt, Bittle, Parks, and Marshall are gone and 1 out of HS in the 2015 class. I have no clue what the coaches are going to do with Broman. Will they try to get him to be more of a PG or a smaller SG? Broman could be a decent PG if he works on his ball handling a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                I think we got something good in Daum, Doyle, and Theisen.
                I agree on Theisen and am hopeful on Daum but obviously haven't seen him play yet. Curious what you've seen from Doyle to allow you to make that statement, but I'm hoping he continues to develop.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Jackrabbits in the Mitchell area: hearing anything on Mitchell High School's guard, Brown, talking with the Jacks about coming in as a walk-on? The guy has become a very consistent scorer and he's wanted to be a Jackrabbit since he was a little kid.

Comment

Don't consider Ian anywhere near where Tony Fiegan was from an athletic side. Ian would have been well served by a redshirt, but lack of depth there necessitated he play sooner. Not giving up on Ian, but he has looked really awful at times even for a freshman.
                    I'm with SUPERBUNNY, I think Ian has athletic ability comparable to Tony. What made Tony, in my opinion, was that he was an overachiever. He was an undersized post that developed because of his effort and his attitude. It took time to develop, and for him that time started as a true freshman who was needed. If I remember correctly, he was forced into the starting lineup during the non-conference portion of the schedule his freshman year. Tony made the most out of his athletic ability. As his career advanced, he appeared quicker because the game slowed down for him. His anticipation improved and he played much quicker because he could react quickly.

Give Ian a chance. He will never be the athletic post that Larson is. Those posts rarely happen for teams at the mid-major level. As Ian gets accustomed to the game, I think his 6'9" 250 lb. frame will make him very valuable in the future. The other nice thing about his range shooting is that he will be able to pull posts away from the basket, clearing room in the lane for driving and mismatches.

The final thing to compare between the two is their peers on the team. When Tony was a freshman, Mark Engen was the only post taller than him. Ian would have also looked very athletic compared to Engen. Anthony Cordova and Kai Williams were the other forwards on the team and they were both undersized and not the athletic post that Larson is.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      I agree on Theisen and am hopeful on Daum but obviously haven't seen him play yet. Curious what you've seen from Doyle to allow you to make that statement, but I'm hoping he continues to develop.
                      Doyle always seems to be very energized. It doesn't look like it effects him if he is on the court or riding the pine like most of this season. When he has played he goes after rebounds like no other and gets to the free throw line. It's always fun to look at the bench after a great play. It seems like he is always the 1st one standing up cheering. Teams always need great teammates like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Jackrabbits in the Mitchell area: hearing anything on Mitchell High School's guard, Brown, talking with the Jacks about coming in as a walk-on? The guy has become a very consistent scorer and he's wanted to be a Jackrabbit since he was a little kid.
                        The Browns were at Cubbys before the NDSU game. I dont know what that means. I didnt talk to them but if i see Beau or mom and dad, i will see if i can get some info out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          The Browns were at Cubbys before the NDSU game. I dont know what that means. I didnt talk to them but if i see Beau or mom and dad, i will see if i can get some info out of them.
                          I realize Mitchell doesn't have a lot of talent this year beyond Beau Brown, but Beau is a very selfish player who I don't think would make a good addition.

Comment

I realize Mitchell doesn't have a lot of talent this year beyond Beau Brown, but Beau is a very selfish player who I don't think would make a good addition.
                            I agree with but it doesnt mean he cant change. Actually if he wants to play college ball he will have to change.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              I agree with but it doesnt mean he cant change. Actually if he wants to play college ball he will have to change.
                              Agreed.

Comment

Mitchell didn't play well tonight at Watertown. Brown held to 13 points. Watertown 84, Mitchell 69.

Based on that game alone (in other words, recognizing teams and individual players have off nights and making a judgment on one game is ridiculous), hard to find any D1 talent in the Watertown Civic Arena this evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X