Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve the Summit League?

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
    The Summit League gets better by getting better players and if you don't think any of those three players would have made us better than you don't know very much about the game. You can post all you want, but your knowledge base is limited. Larson, Iverson, and Lang make us better and we have a better chance of winning. I believe that is what we are trying to do.
    Whoa there... Even this humble resident of Limited Knowledge Base recognizes Facts is Facts. You drew the correlation between in-state talent and aspiring to the success of the well-known mid-majors. Recruiting is not geographically precise because we are dealing with 18-year-old kids making life decisions. Butler, Gonzaga, VCU obviously don't draw from their back yards, which was the point of the post. (For VCU, they have to specifically go wide because of the influence of Virginia and Maryland on Virginia's basketball talent, which is not unlike what the Jacks face with Minnesota or even Creighton or Colorado State). If DeVine and Donlan and Bittle turn out to be every bit as good as the three hometowners that got away that you cited (or even better) where does that take your argument?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The leagues won't merge basketball leagues.

I'm more just telling the MVFC to let UND and UNC join.
      I was kidding.

Getting the MVFC to add UND and UNC has about the same likelihood of getting the MVC to merge with the Summit, IMO. Neither is going to happen.

Unless Joel Nielsen takes over as Commissioner. (kidding again)
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I was kidding.

Getting the MVFC to add UND and UNC has about the same likelihood of getting the MVC to merge with the Summit, IMO. Neither is going to happen.

Unless Joel Nielsen takes over as Commissioner. (kidding again)
        I've heard enough potential conference situations I can't tell when people are joking or being honest. I read on another message board that Boise St. and Wyoming might want to join the Summit League, and I'm pretty sure they were serious.

Comment

I've heard enough potential conference situations I can't tell when people are joking or being honest. I read on another message board that Boise St. and Wyoming might want to join the Summit League, and I'm pretty sure they were serious.
          Denver Wyoming travel partners

Comment

This is just coming off the top of my head, but maybe a solution here is for the Sioux Falls Sports Authority to setup an early season tournament in November or December. Perhaps some of these same mid-majors that are squeamish about coming to Frost would be enticed to play in a nice round-robin event on an neutral court in a nice new events center. Sioux Falls has shown the ability to support college basketball and I think the area would like to see some good Division I college basketball.
            Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM. Reason: neutral court added
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
              This is just coming off the top of my head, but maybe a solution here is for the Sioux Falls Sports Authority to setup an early season tournament in November or December. Perhaps some of these same mid-majors that are squeamish about coming to Frost would be enticed to play in a nice round-robin event on an neutral court in a nice new events center. Sioux Falls has shown the ability to support college basketball and I think the area would like to see some good Division I college basketball.
              The issue with that is you are only allowed 1 pre-season tournament a year and I don't think you can go to the same tournament year after year (which is why D-II schools host the Maui and Alaska tournaments). And many times the tournaments are set up 2-3 years in advance, and many of them are in more desirable locations then Sioux Falls. I believe SDSU is scheduled to host one at Frost next season.

Comment

The issue with that is you are only allowed 1 pre-season tournament a year and I don't think you can go to the same tournament year after year (which is why D-II schools host the Maui and Alaska tournaments). And many times the tournaments are set up 2-3 years in advance, and many of them are in more desirable locations then Sioux Falls. I believe SDSU is scheduled to host one at Frost next season.
                I see. Thanks joeboo22 I did not know about those requirements. I also didn't know or failed to remember that the Jacks were hosting something at Frost next fall.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                  I see. Thanks joeboo22 I did not know about those requirements. I also didn't know or failed to remember that the Jacks were hosting something at Frost next fall.
                  I don't know if its 100% official or not, but I remember hearing that they are scheduled to host one of those sub-tournaments like the one at Hofstra this year. I'm not sure how in depth the rules are, if something like SDSU/USD or SDSU/NDSU vs 2 teams then rotate would be allowed or not.

Comment

Your reference is 17.3.5 in the NCAA Manual.

NCAA D-I teams are limited to 27 games plus one qualifying regular-season multiple-team events (formerly called "exempt" events), or 29 games if not participating in one of the exempt events.

17.3.5.1.1 discusses Qualifying Regular-Season Multple-Team Events. Basically, the event can't run over more than 14 days, and can't include more than four games, and any individual institution can't participate in the same event more than once in a four-year period.

I think SDSU is getting around this, because the company that ran last year's multi-team event that SDSU was in, where we went to Alabama and then Hofstra, actually runs two different ones, and SDSU will I think be a home site for the other one of those two tournaments.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks filbert. I wasn't sure on the exact rule

If Minnesota and Nebraska ever learn to schedule competitive teams at home maybe getting front end games could occur, but that would require those two schools to schedule good teams at home.

Comment

The Summit should work out a Summit vs (OVC, Horizon, MAC, Southland) ala BIG 10 vs ACC match-up. Actually a good conference to see if Summit could get mesh up with is the "Football" Big East conference. Some good teams, but not substantially better than where the Summit wants to get to.

Gonzaga used mostly away games vs the upper 1/2 of the Big 12. I'd suggest that Summit League start by going into the middle lower Big 10, Big 12, and Catholic Big East as away games. Pick up the checks, and start stealing the games. Let the BCS leagues wins be the buoyant lift of the Summit's RPI.

New Mexico read their model on how to set a schedule. Their OOC schedule was St. Louis, Butler, SDSU, (Belmont or Murray St). Now granted, that's a Mountain West, but AJ does the same thing in getting the WBB schedule set. Start with tourney teams from last season and see how far can get in building that schedule. Then fill in. Still need to try to get about 3 OOC (or more) games at home.

Hope that teams can get SOS increased about 20 relative to preceding season.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel
                          Purdues womens basketball coach offered a full ride scholarship to a girl in Wisconsin (kenosha) ,she's still in middle school 7th grader.She 's played well against older girls (one in particular that was mentioned was 6'5)and held her own,oh yea, she's 6'4 herself.Name is Sydney Cooks.She's highly regarded already,and has interest from Div 1 schools.It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.Maybe we have to recruit earlier,and get first crack at good prospects?I highly doubt we will, however.I do think for special needs, like a tall post,like this girl, we have to scout better and expand our recruiting area,if we ever want a player like this girl will undoubtebly turn out to be.
                          Recruiting needs to expand, but the big thing I think is developing a walk-on program, getting walk-ons that contribute, getting it so we don't have to travel with 9-10 guys. Getting it so unless a freshman is going to contribute play 10-15 minutes + they can redshirt. Gonzaga red-shirts a ton of players, SDSU has tried to red-shirt but in most cases it hasn't worked out. So I think its developing a walk-on program and developing red-shirts. Getting it so 14-15 travel, and 1-2 scholarship players and 2-3 walk-on's are redshirting each year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel
                            Purdues womens basketball coach offered a full ride scholarship to a girl in Wisconsin (kenosha) ,she's still in middle school 7th grader.She 's played well against older girls (one in particular that was mentioned was 6'5)and held her own,oh yea, she's 6'4 herself.Name is Sydney Cooks.She's highly regarded already,and has interest from Div 1 schools.It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.Maybe we have to recruit earlier,and get first crack at good prospects?I highly doubt we will, however.I do think for special needs, like a tall post,like this girl, we have to scout better and expand our recruiting area,if we ever want a player like this girl will undoubtebly turn out to be.
                            Posted in wrong thread?
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Posted in wrong thread?
                              Yep....sorry

Comment

Recruiting needs to expand, but the big thing I think is developing a walk-on program, getting walk-ons that contribute, getting it so we don't have to travel with 9-10 guys. Getting it so unless a freshman is going to contribute play 10-15 minutes + they can redshirt. Gonzaga red-shirts a ton of players, SDSU has tried to red-shirt but in most cases it hasn't worked out. So I think its developing a walk-on program and developing red-shirts. Getting it so 14-15 travel, and 1-2 scholarship players and 2-3 walk-on's are redshirting each year.
                                Whoa....what?

Redshirt kids? Ive been sayin that for awhile. Still believe its essential to build a mid major power.

Imagine if this was Nate and Tonys Jr year.........

Comment

Working...
                                X