X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve the Summit League?

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Whoa....what?

Redshirt kids? Ive been sayin that for awhile. Still believe its essential to build a mid major power.

Imagine if this was Nate and Tonys Jr year.........
    I think walk-ons is the key to be able to red-shirt more. People will say don't let a Colton Iverson go big time in getting to the next level. I think its getting a guy to walk-on and stay 5 years at SDSU rather then take a scholarship at the D-II or NAIA level. There have been a few exceptions but in the past 5-6 years very few walk-ons have lasted more then a year or 2. If you have 2-3 Corey Jacobson's on the active roster, you can afford to red-shirt a Zach Horstman, because you don't need an extra guy on the bench.

Same time though, red-shirting guys like Nate Wolters who can come in and play 20-30 minutes a game and can ultimately help the team as a freshman probably shouldn't be done.

Thinking more, expansion for the conference needs to occur, need to get to 12 teams, need to get a TV deal. Those 2 things should be the #1A and #1B priorities before next season.

Comment

Watching all these games recently I've come to conclusion that SDSU will never be VCU, Florida Gulf Coast, Wichita St, etc. The athletic edge is glaring watching teams like that. SDSU is a nice program and is fun to watch, but winning the Summit League is the goal year in and year out, not winning a tournament game. That would be nice, but so highly unlikely unless they had some sick recruiting class full of a different kind of athlete/player than what they have now and going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Givethebunnyabone View Post
        Watching all these games recently I've come to conclusion that SDSU will never be VCU, Florida Gulf Coast, Wichita St, etc. The athletic edge is glaring watching teams like that. SDSU is a nice program and is fun to watch, but winning the Summit League is the goal year in and year out, not winning a tournament game. That would be nice, but so highly unlikely unless they had some sick recruiting class full of a different kind of athlete/player than what they have now and going forward.
        I think its unfair to say, every year SDSU the recruits are more athletic, better, they have other D-I offers. etc. Its hard to project a team 2-3 years, and it just takes a good matchup and a good outing to get an upset. I remember 2 years ago people on here saying SDSU would need to make big changes to win the conference tournament.

According to Ryan James the Rivals reporter in Minnesota, FGCU has recruited Minnesota hard the past couple of years and to no success, one of the guys they offered was Anders Browman. Also Eric Robertson who sits on the bench at USD. It is my opinion that FGCU should kill recruiting in Minnesota, its Florida and just down the road from where the Twins ST is. That could be an issue with recruiting Minnesota in the future as they obviously have tried, and now they have success.

Comment

Winning in the NCAA Tournament obviously requires a good team, but lower seed upsets have a lot to do with the draw and playing well on the right night (and the higher seed playing a little down).

You were probably one of those people that said SDSU had to play out of their mind to compete with Baylor (SDSU played pretty average and still had an opportunity to win with a minute left in the game to a team that went on to the Elite 8) and Michigan (down 4 at half in basically a road game to a team that went on to destroy the VCU team you aforementioned).

There is a talent gap between SDSU and elite programs, but it's far from insurmountable when it comes to one game in March.
          Last edited by Kemo; 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

It was only a few years ago that many said Nagy should go because he did not have a winning season at DI. The people would exit after the women's game was over. Then he had a few young players stick around for 4 years and then he had some winning seasons. Then the 4th year in the Summit the team qualifies and the 5th year the team qualifies and now our problem is winning the first game in the NCAA tourney. The Jacks have accomplished something that few other teams have done in the Summit which is appear 2 times in the NCAA tourney. The Summit will be more competitive next year with the addition of Denver to the mix with the good teams that were competing this year. SDSU & NDSU have been building with recruits that are around for the 4 years while many of the other teams beef up some each year with transfers. The Summit appears that it will be OK at this time. The competition will push the teams forward or maybe in the case of UMKC some go another direction for success. I am not aware of any teams not trying to make the programs better. The fit for better players is not something the teams are avoiding. The one year and done players will always be looking at programs and coaches that cater to that slot. Meanwhile, we should look at the progress already marked. When we see a player leave the team now vs. 6+ years ago, the circumstances are very different. The problem of a better conference is more desirable than no conference and a swinging door on the basketball team!
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I agree that we are a long way from having a year-to-year program like VCU or Wichita St. Look at their basketball budget vs. ours. Then there is the location, which is always going to be an issue for us. I think we are definitely on an upward trajectory though. These NCAA appearances are bound to produce some recruits that would have gone elsewhere (Bittle, for example, already mentioned that about himself). They also should help with fan support and revenue. Slow and steady growth.

I would agree that a realistic goal is shooting for the Summit title, not the Sweet-16. Still, winning a game in the NCAA is possible. They call it March Madness for a reason, and the David vs. Goliath angle is a big part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Winning in the NCAA Tournament obviously requires a good team, but lower seed upsets have a lot to do with the draw and playing well on the right night (and the higher seed playing a little down).

You were probably one of those people that said SDSU had to play out of their mind to compete with Baylor (SDSU played pretty average and still had an opportunity to win with a minute left in the game to a team that went on to the Elite 8) and Michigan (down 4 at half in basically a road game to a team that went on to destroy the VCU team you aforementioned).

There is a talent gap between SDSU and elite programs, but it's far from insurmountable when it comes to one game in March.
                Sure, SDSU could get red hot behind the arc and pull a upset in one of these games, but its really highly unlikely. Maybe one time out of 20 type of a deal they could pull an upset. But lets be realistic, SDSU just isnt going to get those athletes. Nice program, growing and headed to places most thougth not possible, and fun to watch in the SL, but winning NCAA tournament games? Not likely. Just aint. I wish it werent the case becasue it would be fun to see local SD schools taking down a game or two some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  I agree that we are a long way from having a year-to-year program like VCU or Wichita St. Look at their basketball budget vs. ours. Then there is the location, which is always going to be an issue for us. I think we are definitely on an upward trajectory though. These NCAA appearances are bound to produce some recruits that would have gone elsewhere (Bittle, for example, already mentioned that about himself). They also should help with fan support and revenue. Slow and steady growth.

I would agree that a realistic goal is shooting for the Summit title, not the Sweet-16. Still, winning a game in the NCAA is possible. They call it March Madness for a reason, and the David vs. Goliath angle is a big part of that.
                  Well said. I agree with this.

Comment

Sure, SDSU could get red hot behind the arc and pull a upset in one of these games, but its really highly unlikely. Maybe one time out of 20 type of a deal they could pull an upset. But lets be realistic, SDSU just isnt going to get those athletes. Nice program, growing and headed to places most thougth not possible, and fun to watch in the SL, but winning NCAA tournament games? Not likely. Just aint. I wish it werent the case becasue it would be fun to see local SD schools taking down a game or two some day.
                    FGCU- Has recruited Minnesota hard the past couple of years, they lost recruits to SDSU-Anders Browman, UND-Quintin Hooker, USD-Eric Robertson, Augie and Wofford among others.

I agree with you that SDSU has to recruit better D-I athletes, but it would take a blind idiot not to notice that this years recruiting class is way more athletic then those 4-5 years ago.

Comment

One of the funniest things ever posted on this forum. Seriously.

Florida Gulf Coast plays in the Atlantic Sun, rated 26th out of 31 conferences by real time rpi. They finished second in that conference. They finished the season #25 in the CollegeInsider mid major poll.

Hats off to them for their tournament play. However, to put it bluntly, they are LUCKY to be in the sweet 16.

This season, they:
                      Lost to VCU
                      Lost to Miami
                      Lost to Duke
                      Lost to St Johns
                      Lost to Iowa St
                      Lost to Maine (rpi 277)
                      They lost to a school called Lipscomb 2 times (rpi 235).

They did beat Georgetown and San Diego St, so again hats off to them. But to say they are that much better than SDSU is beyond silly. Maybe they dunk better than we do, I guess.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        One of the funniest things ever posted on this forum. Seriously.

Florida Gulf Coast plays in the Atlantic Sun, rated 26th out of 31 conferences by real time rpi. They finished second in that conference. They finished the season #25 in the CollegeInsider mid major poll.

Hats off to them for their tournament play. However, to put it bluntly, they are LUCKY to be in the sweet 16.

This season, they:
                        Lost to VCU
                        Lost to Miami
                        Lost to Duke
                        Lost to St Johns
                        Lost to Iowa St
                        Lost to Maine (rpi 277)
                        They lost to a school called Lipscomb 2 times (rpi 235).

They did beat Georgetown and San Diego St, so again hats off to them. But to say they are that much better than SDSU is beyond silly. Maybe they dunk better than we do, I guess.
                        I think they beat Miami

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I think they beat Miami
                          My mistake. They beat Miami at FGCU's home court.

Doesn't really change the fact that they aren't much/any better than SDSU.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Jackrabbits have not played exceptionally well in either of their NCAA tourney games. That doesn't mean anymore than what it means.

I would argue that 10 years ago not a single person on this forum (or in their right mind for that matter) would have bet $5 that SDSU would be a top 150 RPI team much less a top 70 RPI team with back to back 25 win seasons and appearances in the NCAA tourney.

It is what it is, celebrate it, be proud, build on it. No regrets, Nate Wolters and Tony Fiegen aren't walking around with their heads hanging wishing SDSU was "more athletic". Great season, great players, great coaches and great fans is where we are right now and where I expect we will be for a very long time.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

FGCU lost to Lipscomb twice, Stetson, Mercer and Maine. They are having a magical run but lets not get carried away here.

VCU and Wichita are in top 10 conferences, it is really unfair to compare them to a Summit League team.

Comment

The Summit League has improved during the time the xDSU's have been members. The conference has moved from being a likely play-in for the 16 seed to a fairly steady 13-14 seed. The conference has likewise moved up into the conference RPI of high teens rather than 20's. So now the goal is how does the Summit start getting an at-large most years? Oakland Men's and SDSU women teams have shown how to schedule to be in position to get an at-large. Still basically have to win the games vs the top ten conferences. For the lower members of the conference, they need to schedule tougher. If you're only going to attract 1000 to a game, most of the time better plan on spending most of your time OOC going elsewhere. When you do play at home need games that may interest the casual fans in the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X