Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT Western Illinois

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Maybe I am remembering wrong, but even in Tulsa the Tourney cost the League money. Since the move to Sioux Falls - record attendance - record corp. sponsorship - all games on TV - record profits for the league. Sioux Falls is not the home of SDSU or USD - we haven't played any games in the Arena since last year's Championship game - but it is close. It is also close for NDSU and UNO. Next closest is WIU and didn't they have to rent fans last year. With Denver coming in next year it might be the most centrally located venue, but really that doesn't matter.

Bottom line if he wants the tournament to move to his neck of the wood he needs to build up WIU's fan base and have someone from Ill. put in a good bid.
    That's what bothers me. How neutral does he expect the venue to be? I think Chicago might be the only place in the conference footprint where you couldn't expect any one team to have a crowd advantage. You'd also have trouble getting 1000 people to attend. I also think that the tournament in Sioux Falls is getting to the point where attendance at the games featuring non-Dakota teams is increasing. I think fans want to go to the tournament as an event itself; they really want to cheer on the local schools, but they're also willing to watch strong Oakland and WIU teams and other conference contenders.

Comment

The scene as the crowd continues to fill in the seats:

Comment

No doubt, I just do understand why they are upset about it. It has to be bothersome when your program is financed well, D-I and has solid facilities, has improved well and still most nights has less then 2,000 fans. That has to be bothersome for a coach, maybe the program turns it around, maybe not.

Has it ever been released how much each school gets from the conference tournament? Or is that factored in with the NCAA money? And I agree that Sioux Falls deserves to have it, and has earned the right to keep it, I just thought that the politics of it would have kept it in Tulsa for 2 more years. I was at the game when SDSU beat ORU that year, and the crowd was the reason SDSU won that year. But other then that game I don't know if there has been a game where the crowd won it for SDSU, last years title game obviously helped, but SDSU was the better team, and had beaten them twice.

Comment

Comment

Here's the humble star with his parents on the big screen:

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              It was mentioned earlier by a poster that Anders Broman was in the crowd. I also saw Cody Larson before the game, spotted him during the game, and saw him after the game. He's all of 6-9 or 6-10!
              I saw Anders too. Didn't see Larson but one of my buddies did.

Comment

JackJD's pictures also remind me how the west bleachers filled as they pulled each section out following the pork feed. Frost was electrified with this game. The biggest open spot was the area behind the Wesstern bench. There was a constant action inside of Frost for this event. Great day for the Jacks program.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                  I saw Anders too. Didn't see Larson but one of my buddies did.
                  Hey never say never right. Crowd was great for both of them last night.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    What a fun fun game. Un-real. Wish Tony coulda got a bucket at least, but Parks man.....what a beast.

Did anyone watch Coach Mo's postgame? I think he's getting a little pissed about being the opposing team for our senior night.
                    1. Tony's going to have to play better for us to win three straight in the tourney. Rough, rough day for him.

2. Western was the opponent on senior night because it's the last home game of the year. Deal with it, Mo. At any rate, it's not the home team's job to accommodate opponents on such issues. So he can be as pissed as he wants, I guess.

3. As others have said about the tourney being in Sioux Falls...tough crap. Tell you what, Western, Oakland, IUPUI and fans of all the other schools are welcome to buy all the advance tickets they want. Hell, Western couldn't even bring enough fans to sill the couple of rows of seats behind their bench at Frost. So...shut the ol' cake hole, boys. They can dislike it all they want. Doesn't make me feel bad. The other universities are all welcome to put in a better bid, but I bet that doesn't happen. No more whining. Don't like it? Then beat the Jacks, shut up the arena full of SDSU fans and go home happy.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

2. Western was the opponent on senior night because it's the last home game of the year. Deal with it, Mo. At any rate, it's not the home team's job to accommodate opponents on such issues. So he can be as pissed as he wants, I guess.
                      Watch the video that Terry posted. Coach Mo says it while laughing.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Check WIU BB site for Coach Mo report after game with radio at Macomb. He was nice about crowd and play of Jacks. He also added we will need to get ready for crowds at Summit.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          Another fact was Coach Molinari reflecting on last year's Summit championship game would have required the Leathernecks to be 9-10 points better in order to win in that environment.
                          As has been pointed out, some school is going to have home court advantage when it comes to the Summit tournament.

Having the tournament in Sioux Falls, one could argue, makes it possible for four schools to have home court advantage (NDSU, SDSU, USD, or UNO) depending on who they're playing against. You couldn't make that happen anywhere else except (maybe) Indianapolis, in which case, it would be handsful of IUPUI, WIU and IPFW fans.

But I feel for Molinari and the WIU players.

I don't think that they wish that SDSU didn't have this level of support, I think they wish that they also had it. And I wish they had it too. The league would be better if quality programs were better supported.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                            1. Tony's going to have to play better for us to win three straight in the tourney. Rough, rough day for him.

Tony will be fine. One good thing about Tony having to sit so much was that the Jacks found some things they could do with Marcus against Parks. The added quickness and foot speed that he provides seemed to give Parks some trouble. That could prove to be helpful if they meet again.

Comment

Geez, JackFan96...having a bad day? Closet WIU fan? Trying to be SDSUFans.com's version of certain fans from other schools?

We won!

Comment

Anyone know a link to video of Nagys reaction to Whites three? I dont think they showed it on Midco.

Comment

Working...
                                X