GDT Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT Western Illinois

Among those at the game last night was Brad Seely, assistant head coach and special teams coach for the San Francisco 49ers. It was cool that he was there. Seely was an all-conference o-lineman and grad assistant coach for SDSU in the late 1970s.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The crowd virtually forced Coach Molinari to use nearly all of his timeouts just to try and settle the crowd and his team down. I have the utmost respect for Molinari after watching him be the interim coach for the Gophers for nearly a full season after Monson was fired. You have to believe there will be bigger opportunities for him after the run they made the last two seasons.
      The crowd definitely influenced Western calling timeouts. That is why the majority of coaches have hard feelings about the tourney being at Sioux Falls since it is a home crowd. Last week Coach Molinari was speaking about how he felt it was not fair to the student athletes with that kind of advantage. As always, I am more than happy to support this venue by purchasing tickets for the entire event. You need to remember that the bison and grizz were the men's champs for 3 years prior to the Jacks making some waves. When I check attendance for many of the other teams, there is not always a good home crowd available when they do play at home. Under the current system, it will require an aggressive bid to win the tourney site. Coach Molinari also added(tongue in cheek I think) that the Summit people enjoy having Western playing in Brookings for senior night. So next year we could expect to attend Western's senior night for a return favor. Meanwhile, if the yotes draw Western in the Summit; I will find a purple hat to wear to help get a home crowd for the Leathernecks!
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        The crowd definitely influenced Western calling timeouts. That is why the majority of coaches have hard feelings about the tourney being at Sioux Falls since it is a home crowd. Last week Coach Molinari was speaking about how he felt it was not fair to the student athletes with that kind of advantage. As always, I am more than happy to support this venue by purchasing tickets for the entire event. You need to remember that the bison and grizz were the men's champs for 3 years prior to the Jacks making some waves. When I check attendance for many of the other teams, there is not always a good home crowd available when they do play at home. Under the current system, it will require an aggressive bid to win the tourney site. Coach Molinari also added(tongue in cheek I think) that the Summit people enjoy having Western playing in Brookings for senior night. So next year we could expect to attend Western's senior night for a return favor. Meanwhile, if the yotes draw Western in the Summit; I will find a purple hat to wear to help get a home crowd for the Leathernecks!
        The coaches may not like the tourney in Sioux Falls,but I bet their AD's love taking the checks to the bank that they get from drawing the big crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          The coaches may not like the tourney in Sioux Falls,but I bet their AD's love taking the checks to the bank that they get from drawing the big crowds.
          And cor-pirate(arrrgh) sponsorships. Johnson Bros. Famous Brands(liquor Distributor), First Premier/Premier Bankcard, Sanford, The State Of SD tourism, Etc.

Comment

I don't know why coaches complain about it being in Sioux Falls like its never been at Kansas City, Fort Wayne or Tulsa before the tournament came to Sioux Falls. I guess it gives you an excuse if you lose in the tournament. It is not NDSU, SDSU and now USDs fault that their fans show up to the conference tournament.
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

The crowd definitely influenced Western calling timeouts. That is why the majority of coaches have hard feelings about the tourney being at Sioux Falls since it is a home crowd. Last week Coach Molinari was speaking about how he felt it was not fair to the student athletes with that kind of advantage. !
              Coach Molinari also spoke about how great a college environmental Frost arena was last night.
              If the Tourney is held elsewhere it is likely (almost guaranteed) that type of enviroment will not be available, At all.

Additionally most computer models give a 3 point adv. to the home team regardless of venue so, unless the margin of victory is less than that (See 2012 Championship game). then you have no real gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Coach Molinari also spoke about how great a college environmental Frost arena was last night.
                If the Tourney is held elsewhere it is likely (almost guaranteed) that type of enviroment will not be available, At all.

Additionally most computer models give a 3 point adv. to the home team regardless of venue so, unless the margin of victory is less than that (See 2012 Championship game). then you have no real gripe.
                The interview was one done with a Macomb radio station which was about 25 minutes long from the past week. Coach Molinari was very gracious last night, but he was also visibly shaken from the loss. Most computer models might give different points depending on the venue as well. Statistically speaking Kansas or Syracuse or even the Jacks may demand more than the standard model of 3 points. Another fact was Coach Molinari reflecting on last year's Summit championship game would have required the Leathernecks to be 9-10 points better in order to win in that environment. Again, I would like to endorse the notion that the Sioux Falls Sports Authority continue to host the tournament so I might be able to buy the tickets and enjoy the short commute to the games to support the Jacks. I would agree with Bigticket that the checks sent to the AD outweighs the whining of the coach.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'm pretty sure the coaches understand why its in Sioux Falls, but it doesn't mean they are happy about it.

When SDSU joined the conference I figured the conference tournament would make its way to Sioux Falls, the only thing that surprised me was that it happened the first year they were eligible. I figured they would have kept it in Tulsa for those first 2 years, to make it seem like Sioux Falls would have to earn it, as well as to put pressure on Sioux Falls to build a new arena. Other then that I don't think any school has any grounds to complain about it, if they had the money they could do it.

Comment

The interview was one done with a Macomb radio station which was about 25 minutes long from the past week. Coach Molinari was very gracious last night, but he was also visibly shaken from the loss. Most computer models might give different points depending on the venue as well. Statistically speaking Kansas or Syracuse or even the Jacks may demand more than the standard model of 3 points. Another fact was Coach Molinari reflecting on last year's Summit championship game would have required the Leathernecks to be 9-10 points better in order to win in that environment. Again, I would like to endorse the notion that the Sioux Falls Sports Authority continue to host the tournament so I might be able to buy the tickets and enjoy the short commute to the games to support the Jacks. I would agree with Bigticket that the checks sent to the AD outweighs the whining of the coach.
                    And wasn't the crowd totally for Western in the semis last year. So one could say the environment helped them get into the finals.

Comment

• Re: GDT Western Illinois

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      And wasn't the crowd totally for Western in the semis last year. So one could say the environment helped them get into the finals.
                      I will have some purple clothes if the yotes men are paired with Western this year. The Western women also had more crowd behind them than in their history when playing ORU.

Comment

We have beaten WIU like what, 9 times in a row. Seems to me the location hasn't really been the issue for WIU. Brookings, Sioux Falls, Macomb it all ends the same. Maybe he should worry less about the venue and more about our players.

Comment

I will have some purple clothes if the yotes men are paired with Western this year. The Western women also had more crowd behind them than in their history when playing ORU.
                          I'll just borrow some from the fans-for-hire students at Augie (remember last year's student section for WIU in the finals?....I thought that was pretty funny: hire Augie students with pizza and beer).

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the coaches understand why its in Sioux Falls, but it doesn't mean they are happy about it.

When SDSU joined the conference I figured the conference tournament would make its way to Sioux Falls, the only thing that surprised me was that it happened the first year they were eligible. I figured they would have kept it in Tulsa for those first 2 years, to make it seem like Sioux Falls would have to earn it, as well as to put pressure on Sioux Falls to build a new arena. Other then that I don't think any school has any grounds to complain about it, if they had the money they could do it.

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but even in Tulsa the Tourney cost the League money. Since the move to Sioux Falls - record attendance - record corp. sponsorship - all games on TV - record profits for the league. Sioux Falls is not the home of SDSU or USD - we haven't played any games in the Arena since last year's Championship game - but it is close. It is also close for NDSU and UNO. Next closest is WIU and didn't they have to rent fans last year. With Denver coming in next year it might be the most centrally located venue, but really that doesn't matter.

Bottom line if he wants the tournament to move to his neck of the wood he needs to build up WIU's fan base and have someone from Ill. put in a good bid.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                              The atomsphere was awesome, I have been to some of the biggest games ever Cal State Hayward, Metro State, Augie,USD crowds of 9000 and this crowd was just as noisy. Nate was really fired up, and it was great honoring Tony and Nate after the game. This helps make one forget the transition years and treasure the good years.
                              On the list for loudest/largest crowds was the Northern State game .. Miller vs. Norberg ... NSU had about 10% of the crowd and the SDSU crowd was fabulous and ear-splitting -- but so was the NSU crowd. Great atmosphere.

Comment

It was mentioned earlier by a poster that Anders Broman was in the crowd. I also saw Cody Larson before the game, spotted him during the game, and saw him after the game. He's all of 6-9 or 6-10!

Comment

Working...
                                X