Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BracketBuster

Originally posted by windowoffice View Post
    I'm the "other" Wyo-Murray State guy. I'm the opposite of cowboyracer43 in that I grew up in Wyoming, went to UW and then grad school in Colorado before ending up at Murray State. Oh, I never heard of "rabbit chokers" before a few days ago either, but I wasn't from the eastern part of the state.

Hopefully we'll give you Jackrabbits the same atmosphere that we had last night for the Belmont game--the student section was on fire and hopefully the cafeteria will serve them the same meal again I don't think the BracketBuster game will be a sellout like last year vs St. Mary's, but I think there will still be a big crowd. ESPN will play up Canaan vs Wolters, but Ed Daniel (the forward with the big afro) is a very good player and for Murray's sake we hope Stacy Wilson & Dexter Fields shoot like they did last night or early in the season rather than what we had seen for most of the conference season. Murray this year has tended to play up or down to the level of competition. You guys might remember forward Latreze Mushatt-he played a couple of years for UMKC before transferring to Murray. He's not 100%-torn an Achilles in the summer but has managed to be able to comeback for the end of his senior season and give us our only non-freshman player off the bench. He's a heady player that gives us some boards and defense and can score some as well. Besides him, the bench is freshmen.

Who should we be looking for besides Nate? How'd he score 53 last night-did the other team not bother to try to shut him down or was he just "en fuego"? Our conference opponents try to absolutely smother Isaiah and dare the other guys to beat them. Canaan has a huge burden as our primary ball-handler and scorer.
    Nate was feeling it, tough to stop him when he is making the outside shot. 9-14 on 3's last night. 8-14 from 2 and 10-11 at the line. You can't defend him with 1 guy and when you run 2 or more at him our other guys usually make 3's and certainly rebound well. That didn't happen last night and SDSU needed everyone of Nate's 53 to win. Should be a good game if the supporting cast plays up to their potential.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyracer43 View Post
      The 09-10 Cowboy team finished dead last in MWC. Overall 9-21.
      At least get your facts right over on that Murray State board if you're going to smack South Dakota higher education. The schools you are making fun of have had long and distinguished histories, have educated many a fine soul who made great contributions to their fellow man, and were integral to the settlement of all of the Upper Midwest and the Great Plains, long before Wyoming was a state and Murray State existed in its many name incarnations. Even if it's wiseacre smack on sports boards, it should at least be grounded in some semblance of reality.

There never was a "Yankton State" as you wrote over there. There was a private Yankton College, which existed simultaneously with Mount Marty, until Yankton was closed in 1984. Mount Marty was and is a private Catholic liberal arts college that is located in Yankton, SD. Yankton morphing into Mount Marty as you suggested - never happened.
      From the Yankton College alum web site: "Yankton College was the first institution of higher learning in Dakota Territory, founded in 1881 by Rev. Dr. Joseph Ward. Although the college closed in 1984, it is cherished in the memories of its alumni and Yankton College, a non-profit organization remains active in alumni outreach, awarding scholarships, supporting educational opportunities and sponsoring fine arts and cultural events."

Second, that name-change ridicule you're heaping on Dakota State over on that board is puzzling, given that Murray State has had just as many name changes in its 89-year history as Dakota State has had in its 131-year history.
      It was:
      Murray State Normal School at its founding in 1923
      It became:
      Murray State Normal School and Teachers College in 1926
      Murray State Teachers College in 1930
      Murray State College in 1948
      Murray State University in 1966.

Suspect you will find name changes to reflect changing missions and the times in many. many fine universities around the country. Why that is a source of ridicule for the school that educated your daughter is beyond this feeble mind to comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        At least get your facts right over on that Murray State board if you're going to smack South Dakota higher education. . .
        Nowhere have I "smacked" South Dakota Higher Education. I was happy and proud when my l'il girl chose Northern. Even happier and more proud when she realized that she still wanted to play sports and transferred to DSU, who had kinda recruited her. When she tearfully asked "what should I do?" I looked at USN&WR evaluations and saw that DSU was annually rated as "The Outstanding" college in the midwest. (7 years running?). That was pointed out in various posts prior to yours here. I learned about Yankton several hours prior to your post here and promptly made appropriate corrections. I also pointed out that Huron was private before the Moonies tried to buy it and before it became Si Tanka. My girl led DSU in digs, aces and serving percentage. Her mother and I attended as many games as possible over her four years as THE libero.

I am well aware that names change. I was an undergrad when Murray gained University status. I had a chem prof who became a V.P. and lobbied for years to change Murray's name. Giving up, he became Prexy at SW Missouri and was successful in changing its name to Missouri State. A lifelong hoops fan, he believed a name change would help recruiting.

Frankly, I was thrilled that Murray had drawn the Jackrabbits. I look forward to the return in two? years. I will be the old fellow having difficulty with stairs -- but wearing Murray Blue. And you?

Comment

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/pos...bracketbusters

Comment

Working...
          X