USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD

2 big issues from this game. And sadly they are reoccuring.

1st the team not playing defense or communicating for atleast a half of basketball and missing a ton of open shots.

2nd nagy not preparing his team and changing up his routine. I am surprised we used all the time outs in the game. I would love to hear his reason for why he wouldn't let white finish the fisrt half when we were down big and only 1 time out called in the first half. Not to really question his choices but to know why he decided to do that. Shoiuld have used 2 or 3 time outs in the first half imo and white needed to take some shots as the only one who really found some range.

I guess we aren't much different then usd. We only play well when we play up a game or in our big games montana and new mexico and struggle against teams we should do well against usd and und. While most of the rest of the games fit in the middle.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

In terms of Nagy's handling of the White foul situation,I think he did what most coaches would do. If he had left him in and he had quickly picked up his third,the same people that rip him now for pulling him would have been on here wondering what the he** Nagy was thinking by leaving him in the game - kind of a damned if you do,and damned if you don't kind of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        In terms of Nagy's handling of the White foul situation,I think he did what most coaches would do. If he had left him in and he had quickly picked up his third,the same people that rip him now for pulling him would have been on here wondering what the he** Nagy was thinking by leaving him in the game - kind of a damned if you do,and damned if you don't kind of deal.
        No one has said anything about leaving Dykstra in the 1st half with 2 fouls. Jordan was scoreless and had no rebounds but Nagy chose to leave him in to get his 3rd foul. White had 10 points and 2 bds. in 8 minutes but he sat him the rest of the half. Usd opened up a 20 point lead at one point, doesn't make sense to let the only guy who was making anything sit.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          It was almost comical how poorly we shot in the first half. While USD was fired up, the Jacks were extremely passive. There was almost no movement on offense. Even Nate was passive. I'm no basketball expert, but the second half certainly demonstrates that you need to get the ball into the paint, whether by penetrating or by passing to a post at the foul line, in order to attack USD's matchup zone. There was almost none of that happening in the first half. It's not like USD was playing great defense. We just passed it around for 30 seconds and then forced up a shot. It reminded me of UMKC's first half offense in the last game.
          You've said it all quite well, right there. What was comical, though, was that no player or coach would make a change until after halftime. I didn't play basketball beyond junior high, but I know the key to breaking down a zone is to attack it. We did not. We had no interest in doing so. And it's a basic, basic philosophy. So I guess I'll hang it on the coaching staff. Our unwillingness to attack the zone led to my having a swearing fit. There's no excuse for it.

There's also no excuse for our not learning a single lesson from last season. In fact, we followed the exact same game plan and wound up with the exact same result. I feel only anger, and not one ounce of sympathy, concerning yesterday's loss.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Did I hear something about a short undeveloped bench? As always Scott Nagy is the guy with skin in the game when it comes to the job, but the anxious fan in me wants to see more players in the game even though the Summit in general does not have men's teams playing a deeper bench. Although I think there are fans at all locations that have the same concerns about short benches. It is not an interchangeable player viewpoint, but it would be more a serviceable player gaining skills and experience.
            Originally posted by jack power View Post
            No one has said anything about leaving Dykstra in the 1st half with 2 fouls. Jordan was scoreless and had no rebounds but Nagy chose to leave him in to get his 3rd foul. White had 10 points and 2 bds. in 8 minutes but he sat him the rest of the half. Usd opened up a 20 point lead at one point, doesn't make sense to let the only guy who was making anything sit.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

It was nice to see Bittle getting a taste of the rivalry game early in the first half. I did not notice him much after that though. Horstman came in early too, but he quickly blew his chance with a dumb and-1 foul on a breakaway layup. Heemstra made a couple of big shots in the second half. Prince's absence was strange.

The strangest thing of all to me was Wolters' first half. He only drove to the basket a few times and looked timid. I was not surprised to see the supporting cast go ice-cold and look afraid to shoot, but seeing it from Wolters was a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                It was nice to see Bittle getting a taste of the rivalry game early in the first half. I did not notice him much after that though. Horstman came in early too, but he quickly blew his chance with a dumb and-1 foul on a breakaway layup. Heemstra made a couple of big shots in the second half. Prince's absence was strange.

The strangest thing of all to me was Wolters' first half. He only drove to the basket a few times and looked timid. I was not surprised to see the supporting cast go ice-cold and look afraid to shoot, but seeing it from Wolters was a new one.
                Wolters had what 5 or more shots just roll off the rim in the first have. I think that made him hesitant a little too. If those fall like usual its a different game. Just tough when they count on one guy to do it and his shots are rimming out.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

How's this for therapy: Watched the women, looking confident and poised for most of the game, beat a competitive USD team. That was fun.
                  This evening: decided to watch the replay of SDSU v Baylor in the Pit. I wonder if our guys shouldn't watch at least the first part of that game. We came out and punched Baylor in the gut, leading by as much as 12. We led until 5:39 when Baylor went up 24-22. That's where I am in the replay right now but I remember Baylor pulling away and then the Jacks clawing their way back into the game in the second half. It was a great battle.

Last year, our guys played loose and clearly belonged in the tourney. I have faith in this year's team: the USD game was a loud wake up call. Fact is, we have the personnel to win the regular season in the Summit and win the Summit Tourney again.

Added later: 1:13 left and Chad White just hit a 3...its Baylor 64, SDSU 60. Give me a darned time machine, I think we're going to win it this time!
                  Last edited by JackJD; 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I also was at the game and have the following observations. The first is that you have good basketball tem, that at times could be very good as demonstrated in New Mexico. The talent level you have compared to USD is a above ours. Nate is just flat out a great player. You will contend for the Summit title, but you aren't heads and tails above the rest of the league. You don't have Nate, and you aren't that awesome, but you do have Nate, so therefore you have a chance to be a good team. I will tell you this, and you have confirmed it reading this blog, but your expectations are unbelievably high. All this non sensical talk about losing to USD as unacceptable, or ridiculous is just that....ridiculous. Saturday afternoon proved one thing, the Coyotes flat out wanted it more. Was it an upset? Maybe, maybe not. Was USD hot the first half? Yes, but Wolters was uncanny hot the 2nd half. It was a game of a tale of 2 halves. USD won the 1st half, you won the 2nd, and we won the game. Then there's the excuses you name. Reffing was bad. I agree, but tainted in your favor. Then there's the excuse of depth perception in the Dome. Then when all else fails, blame Nagy. Wasn't Nagy the same coach who brilliantly led your team to the upset of New Mexico? Lastly, there are a few of you that blast USD for being 2nd rate, or Mickey Mouse. Our hired staff DID NOT wear Hate State shirts. All the hired staff were issued USD apparel prior to the game. Secondly, I went over to the SDSU section at half and talked with a lot of your fans. I even had a great chat with your AD ( who by the way is a really nice guy ). There wasn't one episode of a Coyote fan blasting a Jack fan that I witnessed. The only thing I didn't like was when our students chanted WOLTERS SUCKS, but you know what? It's a rivalry game. I have heard your fans in tyhe past get on some of our more notable players as well. Your fans were treated with respect, just like I was treated last year at Frost.In closing, yes the Dome is horrible for basketball. Frost is a better venue. I give you that. But the last comment I wnt to make is that being this is the only game that matters to us, yet it's just another game to you. I have one word that sums up those thoughts. BULL****. Your players were busting their asses at the end when it looked like they could lose. And by your responses on here, don't tell me it was another game to you either. It hurts you to lose to USD, just like it hurt me in football to lose to you. Get over it people. Our guys wanted it worse than yours, and I suspect a heavy dose of revenge will be dished out in Brookings. Keep it in perspective. You have a really old team.

Comment

yoteforever: On two points in your post:

1) sight lines. Since I know nothing about playing the game of basketball, I listen to others who know the game amd sometimes their observations about such matters make sense. With respect to the sight lines (good and bad) in a number of venues, there are apparently huge differences that take some adjustment. For a home team: part of the home advantage. Butler at Hinkel. NDSU at BSA, USD at DakotaDome. (If I played at Minnesota, the raised floor would be in my head all the time). SDSU has trouble shooting at the Dakota Dome. We improve as the game wears on. Frost Arena is known to be a very friendly place to shoot -- no home-court advantage from that perspective. The first time I thought about how challenging shooting can be in the DakotaDome was when a former outstanding USD basketball player told me about how he had to adjust to shooting in the dome. Made good sense.

2) the game-day atmosphere -- focusing on the 'fake SDSU' video shown on the big screen at half time: Can you point me to one other Summit League team that does something remotely similar to that? I haven't been to every Summit League opponent's home court but I've been to several and haven't seen anything approaching that. While I was not at the game in Vermillion, I heard about the video from several and the image that immediately came to mind was an office in the DakotaDome in which game events are planned and coordinated and two planners are the cartoon characters Beavis and Butthead. Now, I must admit I think Beavis and Butthead are funny and I know that doesn't say much for me; but, that kind of humor employed for a D-I basketball game? Very junior high. I probably would have laughed but, still, junior high. I could just hear the Beavis and Butthead giggling and snickering as the video was played. When JimmyJack posted about that video, I think that's what he meant about bush league. Perhaps USD just wants to be 'unique' in the Summit League? Suggestion: send me a copy of that video and I'll forward it to the Summit League office for their impression.

The video is a "statement" of the USD administration and institution and not some student.

One final comment: everyone on message boards has to be careful about taking too much from a poster venting (Exhibit 1: coyotefan)

Comment

2 quick points. Jacks did not show up. This was the most important game of the year for the coyotes.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

JackJD has said very well what I would like to say. Yoteforever and plenty of others will say its not just about SDSU but every action and reaction says it is. The billboards were juvenile and in poor taste. The video was junior high humor at best. My advice, don't waste money on subjecting yourself to an experience that is similar to existence as a coyote, scavenging, mange and generally distasteful.

The coyotes players came out intense and played a great half of basketball, the best half they will play all year. The second half was much more about exactly what both teams are. Jackrabbits will be fine. Looking forward to playing again in Brookings and hopefully in Sioux Falls.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            I also was at the game and have the following observations. The first is that you have good basketball tem, that at times could be very good as demonstrated in New Mexico. The talent level you have compared to USD is a above ours. Nate is just flat out a great player. You will contend for the Summit title, but you aren't heads and tails above the rest of the league. You don't have Nate, and you aren't that awesome, but you do have Nate, so therefore you have a chance to be a good team. I will tell you this, and you have confirmed it reading this blog, but your expectations are unbelievably high. All this non sensical talk about losing to USD as unacceptable, or ridiculous is just that....ridiculous. Saturday afternoon proved one thing, the Coyotes flat out wanted it more. Was it an upset? Maybe, maybe not. Was USD hot the first half? Yes, but Wolters was uncanny hot the 2nd half. It was a game of a tale of 2 halves. USD won the 1st half, you won the 2nd, and we won the game. Then there's the excuses you name. Reffing was bad. I agree, but tainted in your favor. Then there's the excuse of depth perception in the Dome. Then when all else fails, blame Nagy. Wasn't Nagy the same coach who brilliantly led your team to the upset of New Mexico? Lastly, there are a few of you that blast USD for being 2nd rate, or Mickey Mouse. Our hired staff DID NOT wear Hate State shirts. All the hired staff were issued USD apparel prior to the game. Secondly, I went over to the SDSU section at half and talked with a lot of your fans. I even had a great chat with your AD ( who by the way is a really nice guy ). There wasn't one episode of a Coyote fan blasting a Jack fan that I witnessed. The only thing I didn't like was when our students chanted WOLTERS SUCKS, but you know what? It's a rivalry game. I have heard your fans in tyhe past get on some of our more notable players as well. Your fans were treated with respect, just like I was treated last year at Frost.In closing, yes the Dome is horrible for basketball. Frost is a better venue. I give you that. But the last comment I wnt to make is that being this is the only game that matters to us, yet it's just another game to you. I have one word that sums up those thoughts. BULL****. Your players were busting their asses at the end when it looked like they could lose. And by your responses on here, don't tell me it was another game to you either. It hurts you to lose to USD, just like it hurt me in football to lose to you. Get over it people. Our guys wanted it worse than yours, and I suspect a heavy dose of revenge will be dished out in Brookings. Keep it in perspective. You have a really old team.
                            It hurts to lose because you guys are a bottom level team in the Summit League. I couldn't give a **** about the rivalry. It sucks that we can lose to a team as bad as USD because it forces us to face the reality that we aren't that great. And like I said in the smack thread, I had a USD fan tell me that this was the only game he cared about. A USD fan I'd never met before.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              2 quick points. Jacks did not show up. This was the most important game of the year for the coyotes.
                              And now not for you because you got beat. Jacks did show up second half. You got beat pure and simple

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                It hurts to lose because you guys are a bottom level team in the Summit League. I couldn't give a **** about the rivalry. It sucks that we can lose to a team as bad as USD because it forces us to face the reality that we aren't that great. And like I said in the smack thread, I had a USD fan tell me that this was the only game he cared about. A USD fan I'd never met before.
                                I had a State fan tell me the same thing. 1-1

Comment

Working...
                                X