Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hofstra this weekend

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I'm actually sorry I took some time to read this thread late. The weeping and wailing, and gnashing of teeth is pretty pitiful to me. The quotes of "without Nate, we aren't even a good team at all" is ridiculous IMO. This is the same team (minus one player...and I know Griff was a great asset and did his share) that everbody raved about last year, earned our first Big Dance, gave Baylor a heck of a scare...and now, all of a sudden, at the bare beginning of the season, the roof is falling in! Sure hope there will be a little more patience and a lot less bashing of the team during the rest of the season.
    As this current moment, without Nate the Jacks would have won 1 game so far this year. I think most are just calling a spade a spade. That doesn't mean the Jacks won't improve later but at this moment, Nate hasn't had a lot of help on a consistent basis. Right now based on what this team's potential is, they should be criticized.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      As this current moment, without Nate the Jacks would have won 1 game so far this year. I think most are just calling a spade a spade. That doesn't mean the Jacks won't improve later but at this moment, Nate hasn't had a lot of help on a consistent basis. Right now based on what this team's potential is, they should be criticized.
      Criticize is fine, but getting ready to jump overboard is a little excessive IMO. OF course, Alabama is obviously not a very good team only ranked 29th in the Sagarin Ratings right now), so close there on the road doesn't count, and neither does Marshall, which is nine spots behind the Jacks in the Sagarin. So, I guess I better go look for a life jacket.

Comment

A loss like Hofstra at this point of the season may prove to help in the long run. Coach Nagy said more than once in that post-game interview that the team needed to get back to playing hard and humble. It's only human nature that after reading in every pre-season prediction that you are the odds-on favorite to win the Summit and get back to the Big Dance that just showing up against a team that lost their first two games by 58 points will get you a win. Well,the team no longer has that attitude. There is almost no chance to get an at-large bid if we don't win in Sioux Falls,so it doesn't hurt our resume. If this is what it took for the coaching staff to get the players undivided attention,I'd rather have it happen now than in February.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          A loss like Hofstra at this point of the season may prove to help in the long run. Coach Nagy said more than once in that post-game interview that the team needed to get back to playing hard and humble. It's only human nature that after reading in every pre-season prediction that you are the odds-on favorite to win the Summit and get back to the Big Dance that just showing up against a team that lost their first two games by 58 points will get you a win. Well,the team no longer has that attitude. There is almost no chance to get an at-large bid if we don't win in Sioux Falls,so it doesn't hurt our resume. If this is what it took for the coaching staff to get the players undivided attention,I'd rather have it happen now than in February.
          I agree with most of this, but keep in mind the resume is not just for at-large bids. It seeds the teams if they do get in. A loss like this one(like USD last yr) probably dropped us to a 14. Im glad it happened now and think we will be fine though.

Comment

I'm actually sorry I took some time to read this thread late. The weeping and wailing, and gnashing of teeth is pretty pitiful to me. The quotes of "without Nate, we aren't even a good team at all" is ridiculous IMO. This is the same team (minus one player...and I know Griff was a great asset and did his share) that everbody raved about last year, earned our first Big Dance, gave Baylor a heck of a scare...and now, all of a sudden, at the bare beginning of the season, the roof is falling in! Sure hope there will be a little more patience and a lot less bashing of the team during the rest of the season.
            Meltdown posts are fairly common after losses. So are hyperbolic posts like yours...

Comment

I'm with Jacks#1Fan and I thought the bashing was carried a little to far. Fortunately for us all, this is just a message boad and when you count up the strong dissents, they're few in number.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I'm with Jacks#1Fan and I thought the bashing was carried a little to far. Fortunately for us all, this is just a message boad and when you count up the strong dissents, they're few in number.
                Me too, old guys got to stick up for each other. Where is Jacks#1Fan exaggerating? hyperobolic??? If you met him in person, you think the opposite.

Comment

Criticize is fine, but getting ready to jump overboard is a little excessive IMO. OF course, Alabama is obviously not a very good team only ranked 29th in the Sagarin Ratings right now), so close there on the road doesn't count, and neither does Marshall, which is nine spots behind the Jacks in the Sagarin. So, I guess I better go look for a life jacket.
                  I was very disappointed in the way the men played against Hofstra but totally understand why it happened. Multiple factors at play and a decent Hofstra team. Same thing for the women vs Creighton. Its a long season and every team is trying to win every night. That said, I was cussing the loss and the extremely poor shooting on the drive up to Brookings Friday night.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As noted in the Naters for Nate thread, Hofstra swept their games in their home gym by beating Marshall in OT (or 2OT), so they're doing ok this season so far. Be interesting to see how they fair in the CAA this season.

Comment

I have to admit I have way off on some things. I thought Marshall was by far the best team at the tourney excluding us. They were not. Still can't believe Hofstra beat us and Marshall. Wish I could actually see these games, that would clear some things up for me.

And I was ready to toss White and Carlson off the team after the Hofstra loss, and then Carlson comes back with a 20 something point performance and White hits the game winner. Wow. I had Nagy on the phone and everything, but decided to give them another game to redeem themselves. Anyways gonna miss another game on wednesday, that sucks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        As noted in the Naters for Nate thread, Hofstra swept their games in their home gym by beating Marshall in OT (or 2OT), so they're doing ok this season so far. Be interesting to see how they fair in the CAA this season.
                        That's college basketball for you. It is tough to win on the road, even more so than in football imo. Hofstra had the home court advantage, and it probably helped them eek out two wins in which they were not the favorite in.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                        X