Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Frost gets upgrade

You know, screw it.

If you can't comprehend that the student activity fee is pretty much set in stone, that the athletic department is going to get its share pretty much no matter what, and that one of the only avenues to increase revenue open to the athletic department is increasing the number of season ticket and general public ticket sales, then I'm afraid I really don't have very much else to say.

You can bitch and moan and complain and organize boycotts and whatever to protest the student activity fee. Go for it. More power to you. Guess what? I agree that it's a sh*tty way to finance an athletic program.

But do you know what? College athletics finances, especially at the Division I level, are utterly out of control and completely f%cked up everywhere, not just SDSU. Frankly, you could pretty easily get me to agree to completely separate all athletic programs from the rest of the university organization, and run them as an independent organization associated with but not controlled by the university. Have the Foundation run the athletic programs, not the University itself, for instance. That would be healthier for everyone in the long run.

Here, I'll wave my magic wand . . .

Hmm . . .

Shoulda put the wand in the charger last night, I guess . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Here, I'll wave my magic wand . . .

Hmm . . .

Shoulda put the wand in the charger last night, I guess . . .
      Shoulda bought the newer model. Tsk tsk

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        Combine football and basketball season tickets and they are less than activity fee. .
        Activity Fee- A fee charged per semester to cover health, Student Union and other University services,such as: admission to plays, athletic events, athletic facilities and partially funded judging, music and forensic programs.

I agree that the activity fee is too much but that goes to more than just sports. Is it right that SDSU's fee is $26.60 and USD's fee is $36.60 or is that something else? I guess when you pay the fee it's too much regardless of what everybody else pays.
        Does anybody know what the activity fee was when SDSU was DII? I'm sure it went up more than it would have if SDSU remained DII but it would have went up regardless.
        Money is being raised in other ways too now. What used to cost $85/year to park in now costs $240/year(a guess). Even if you park by the football stadium, it still costs $120/year. You have to walk a half mile and you still pay more. I don't think you used to have to pay to park in most lots for sporting events. Now there are several lots that require a fee.
        I didn't agree with the activity fee when I went to school and I still don't but what does that mean? Nothing!

Comment

I don't know about how it looks now, but I do know this is step 1 in a multi-step process to upgrade and update Frost. I doubt they would make this kind of change without knowing how it will integrate with later renovations. Somewhere, there is a vision for what Frost will be 10 or 12 years from now. As Filbert said, it would be interesting to know what that vision is, but I doubt they want to talk about that while they are raising money for the new indoor football practice facility and stadium.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I also think that the indoor practice facility is key to the future vison for Frost Arena. With the track around the upper level no longer needed at that point, I think they could renovate the upper level and some nice upper level seating even maybe filling in the corners between the current bleachers at that point.

This is not based on any inside information or knowledge of future plans. It's just based on a conversation I had with my brother-in-law about the future of the basketball arena.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
              I also think that the indoor practice facility is key to the future vison for Frost Arena. With the track around the upper level no longer needed at that point, I think they could renovate the upper level and some nice upper level seating even maybe filling in the corners between the current bleachers at that point.

This is not based on any inside information or knowledge of future plans. It's just based on a conversation I had with my brother-in-law about the future of the basketball arena.
              I hope you are right. Put in permenant seating with better sight lines. Raise the bleachers a bit. Make it a bowl on top with the corners mostly filled in. I know they have enterences up there but could funnel those under some seat be nice to remove the old media section up top.

I wish they could expand the current footprint of the building to move it to gain more room to allow for the stands to go higher. That's what concerns me is we have taken away premium viewing areas where lot as many people can fit. I wish they would lower the bleachers to ground level and move the media back up to the old rafter location. They should try to get fans closer to the court. Not further away from it.

One final thought. Since the hyper is no longer needed for training as much once the indoof field house gets built but I would love to see the lower seats at frost turned into a bowl. They don't let fans enter underneath like before so rounding the lower section could be awesome. Also my final thought would be to take the barn and renovate it back to its awesome oringinal inside. Get the racquet ball stuff the other sports stuff out of their and use it for exclusively for basketball and volley ball practive. Make new weight rooms there and locker rooms and put seating and maybe have volley ball play there. Get the windows back on the end wall. Spruce it up and it would be the nicest old school practicr facility around. Recruits imo would love it.

Sorry for the long post again.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I hope you are right. Put in permenant seating with better sight lines. Raise the bleachers a bit. Make it a bowl on top with the corners mostly filled in. I know they have enterences up there but could funnel those under some seat be nice to remove the old media section up top.

I wish they could expand the current footprint of the building to move it to gain more room to allow for the stands to go higher. That's what concerns me is we have taken away premium viewing areas where lot as many people can fit. I wish they would lower the bleachers to ground level and move the media back up to the old rafter location. They should try to get fans closer to the court. Not further away from it.

One final thought. Since the hyper is no longer needed for training as much once the indoof field house gets built but I would love to see the lower seats at frost turned into a bowl. They don't let fans enter underneath like before so rounding the lower section could be awesome. Also my final thought would be to take the barn and renovate it back to its awesome oringinal inside. Get the racquet ball stuff the other sports stuff out of their and use it for exclusively for basketball and volley ball practive. Make new weight rooms there and locker rooms and put seating and maybe have volley ball play there. Get the windows back on the end wall. Spruce it up and it would be the nicest old school practicr facility around. Recruits imo would love it.

Sorry for the long post again.

Remember the fire codes when discussing things. A few years ago didn't they not open some bleachers on the track because the stairs on one side of the building were unsafe?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  Remember the fire codes when discussing things. A few years ago didn't they not open some bleachers on the track because the stairs on one side of the building were unsafe?
                  Stairs have been replaced.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    I LOVE this idea. Unfortunately, it would probably be pretty far down the priorities list.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      I LOVE this idea. Unfortunately, it would probably be pretty far down the priorities list.
                      If the team keeps winning confrence titles in the next 5-10 years and winning some games at the dance I think could help move those up the list. Assuming thw school would consider such ideas.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Did anyone see the Collegian tweets from the Student Association open forum guests Sell and Costello? They basically fed the line to the students that they moved them to create a better experience and so the students could interact with the spirit squads. Bull****. Just be honest and tell the students its about money. They also don't have a plan yet for a permanent place for the band.

With the poor sight lines for season ticket holders already being complained about this project is turning into a cluster.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          Did anyone see the Collegian tweets from the Student Association open forum guests Sell and Costello? They basically fed the line to the students that they moved them to create a better experience and so the students could interact with the spirit squads. Bull****. Just be honest and tell the students its about money. They also don't have a plan yet for a permanent place for the band.

With the poor sight lines for season ticket holders already being complained about this project is turning into a cluster.
                          The site line problem was a construction error that will be fixed (it can't be done this year because they have to be rebuilt). As far as the students...they sounded a lot louder at the exhibition game (very few students attended) then I have I heard in a long time and I have had them sitting behind me for 16 years. It will work out.

Comment

Yup, and I stated as much.

Comment

I don't like that it sounds like Sell and Costello aren't owning up to the real reasons behind moving the student section.

I do believe that a reasonable person could draw the conclusion that moving the students to the end could create a better overall atmosphere inside Frost.

BTW, record number of season tickets sold and a really solid student turnout for an exhibition game. What a cluster.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                                The site line problem was a construction error that will be fixed (it can't be done this year because they have to be rebuilt). As far as the students...they sounded a lot louder at the exhibition game (very few students attended) then I have I heard in a long time and I have had them sitting behind me for 16 years. It will work out.
                                I agree. Also, the students behind the baskets just being students will make for part of the atmosphere. They were interacting more with the spirit squads even though it was an exhibition. That will only get better. You see the students behind the baskets at most college venues waving their hands and having fun. That looks great to me!

The seats on the South side are a mess. Glad to hear they'll be fixed. Where's the band going to go?

If Frost isn't a loud, exciting environment this year with the excitement for both teams then I give up. It should be a blast!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X