Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '12-'13 Schedule

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Just me, I'd rather bring in Northern or Augie to Frost to play a D-II team if that's what we're gonna do. I'm real disappointed with Gazelle Group right now.
    I think we already have the max number of DII schools coming to Frost that The Summit League allows. In fact they had restricted it to one for this year but then backed off because teams were having trouble filling their schedules. I assume UDC doesn't count against the total since we can't control who is in a tournament. There are some other non-DI schools in other "brackets" of this "tournament" including West Alabama and Northern New Mexico. I also was disappointed to see another DII team on the schedule but am getting the impression the scheduling process this year for whatever reason was such that we had very few alternatives from which to select.

I am anxious to see if we are going to have more than a couple home non-conference teams against DI schools. Cal Bakersfield is coming and I think I have heard of one other but can't remember who. And I think it has been implied there will be a couple DII plus perhaps an exhibition game or two.

Comment

I bought season tickets for the first time this year. I really dont want to watch D2 teams play. At least the women have a nice home schedule.

Comment

I'm going to guess that a team backed out late. It sucks but you have to live with it. Alabama is a good get.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          I bought season tickets for the first time this year. I really dont want to watch D2 teams play. At least the women have a nice home schedule.
          no kidding, the main scheduling priority should be getting the best possible teams to come to frost. Because, no offense, but the summit is not exactly stacked right now and I for one want to see good, competitive, high level basketball dammit !!!

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
            no kidding, the main scheduling priority should be getting the best possible teams to come to frost. Because, no offense, but the summit is not exactly stacked right now and I for one want to see good, competitive, high level basketball dammit !!!
            I believe that is the main priority, but my understanding is that most high level teams don't want to travel to SD.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
              I believe that is the main priority, but my understanding is that most high level teams don't want to travel to SD.
              My question is do Power 6 schools want to come to SDSUs homecourt where the team showed last year is a tough place to play for opponents and have a chance at losing to a non-Power 6 on the road. We beat a Power 6 team at their home court last year by double digits and I feel we will only be better this year, so personally if I was a Power 6 school that isn't one of the top tier teams, I wouldn't want to play SDSU on the road either.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                My question is do Power 6 schools want to come to SDSUs homecourt where the team showed last year is a tough place to play for opponents and have a chance at losing to a non-Power 6 on the road. We beat a Power 6 team at their home court last year by double digits and I feel we will only be better this year, so personally if I was a Power 6 school that isn't one of the top tier teams, I wouldn't want to play SDSU on the road either.
                Men's power 6 teams can make far more money by having a home game and paying a guarantee than by coming to a mid major. For example Minnesota only has two non-conference road games one against USC and one against Florida State plus a tournament in the Bahamas. And as we have seen from the conference realignment, it is all about the money. We are not going to see power 6 men's teams here.

Comment

So I see 4 teams that finished in top 100 rpi and 3 in top 50 so far. All away, but others have mentioned why.

New Mexico 26
                  Alabama 35
                  Marshall 44
                  Minnesota 90
                  Belmont 58

Buffalo should be on schedule and could be in top 100 as well.

CSU Bakersfield twice.

Hope for some home games with Horizon schools(start of a home and home perhaps). None of their non-conf sxhedules had been released as of last check.
                  Last edited by gojacksgo; 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

my question is do power 6 schools want to come to sdsus homecourt where the team showed last year is a tough place to play for opponents and have a chance at losing to a non-power 6 on the road. We beat a power 6 team at their home court last year by double digits and i feel we will only be better this year, so personally if i was a power 6 school that isn't one of the top tier teams, i wouldn't want to play sdsu on the road either.
                    bingo!

Superbunny
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

so personally if I was a Power 6 school that isn't one of the top tier teams, I wouldn't want to play SDSU on the road either.
                      According Coach Nagy during a brief visit with him Saturday afternoon in Lawrence, top tier teams don't even want anything to do with us, which, he said, is a good sign. He said putting together this schedule has been a bear.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                        According Coach Nagy during a brief visit with him Saturday afternoon in Lawrence, top tier teams don't even want anything to do with us, which, he said, is a good sign. He said putting together this schedule has been a bear.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Here's the deal. Oakland can schedule 2 for 1's with teams like Tennessee because Oakland University is located in a recruiting hot bed. If we asked for a 2 for 1 deal we would most likely be laughed at because larger schools have nothing to gain coming to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                            As a fan I wanted to play every good school that we could. But in reality, can you really blame the top tier teams though? I mean look at what the Jacks did to Washington last year, and you could argue that was one of the reasons they didn make it as an at-large team. Top tier teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I do hope the coaching staff does find some top tier teams to play this year. This is Nates senior year!
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I had heard that Nate was a big reason the top teams didn't want to play us this year, and that next year they would be willing to play us.

Comment

It's the whole package that makes it a challenge. There are some great points in many of the posts that make it a challenge. Yes, I wish it were easier to get a game of five from bigger conference schools but it just isn't that way.

My take is that we must be headed in the right direction if it were tough to get games. As good as we may be this year, my bet is even getting a road game has been tough. In the years past there were plenty of teams willing to take us on when we were struggling. I guess I prefer it this way. That losing stuff sucked!

If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, what are you waiting for? This is going to be one of the best seasons to be in Frost ever!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X