Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selection Sunday: The Thread

Originally posted by witness View Post
    When we played Minnesota, they had Trevor Mbakwe still and once they lost him their whole season was lost. If Mbakwe didn't get hurt, they would have been in the NCAA tourney no doubt about it. As far as Nebraska, they did beat Indiana and B1G was one of the toughest conferences in the country and yes Nebraska did struggle but that game was after the CBE Classic towards the end of a long road trip and Nagy himself said he shouldn't have scheduled that game. The Jacks also didn't really hit their stride until after the UND loss(outside of the ORU loss) where they really picked up their game and than after the Jacks lost to USD a game that USD played out of their minds and was basically their Summit League Championship game, SDSU has won every game by double digits except the Summit Championship game where they won in OT. RPI doesn't count non-D1 games so it wouldn't matter either way. And to think we deserved a lower seed is laughable. The average bracket projection was 13.6, and SDSU was the 2nd 14th seed. Take out the losses to USD and/or UND and they are pretty much a lock to a 13 seed. Jacks were/are a young team that didn't play up to their ability but they learned from those losses and seemed to have played better since those losses.
    While I understand what you are getting at here, but the Jacks just didn't have that signature win that would have bumped them up. Washington was the teams win to hang their hat on and they crapped the bed in the first round of their conference tournament. ORU would be our second best win and that just isn't enough either, especially since ORU's big victory (Xavier) got weaker and weaker as the year progressed.

IMO, the championship game performance didn't do the Jacks any favors either. Montana (on their home court BTW) and New Mexico State both had blow out championship game wins I believe.

After the Jacks beat Baylor this year and make the Sweet 16, their seeding next year will be a little better.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      the Jacks just didn't have that signature win
      I think the concept of 'signature wins' is emblematic of everything that is wrong with the NCAA selection process.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        While I understand what you are getting at here, but the Jacks just didn't have that signature win that would have bumped them up. Washington was the teams win to hang their hat on and they crapped the bed in the first round of their conference tournament. ORU would be our second best win and that just isn't enough either, especially since ORU's big victory (Xavier) got weaker and weaker as the year progressed.

IMO, the championship game performance didn't do the Jacks any favors either. Montana (on their home court BTW) and New Mexico State both had blow out championship game wins I believe.

After the Jacks beat Baylor this year and make the Sweet 16, their seeding next year will be a little better.
        I wasn't really getting at anything, I was just telling it how it is/was. Also lets not forgot that if UW wouldn't have absolutely choked in the conference tourney they would have been in. Beating a Power 6 regular season champ no matter how bad the conference is, they still got two teams in, is still a great win esp. on the road by 19. ORU was the first four out to get an at-large and if they would have went to the championship game and lost, I think they would have been in as well. Signature wins are cool to look at, but they don't focus on the whole body of in a season. I do wanted a blow out championship win, but when you are playing WIU that simply isn't happening and I doubt that Montana would have blown out WIU either. Before season even started, I said I expected Jacks to win the Summit, but most SDSU fans were too hesistant to claim that and said that we are the third best team in the conference, second at best. Than fans were saying it would be just an accomplishment to make it to Summit League championship game, because they have never been there before. Now fans are hesistant about seeding and the game. F*ck it I know fans are hesistant about picking the Jacks because of their past troubles in D1, but the team is thinking they are going to win, so why should we say they won't be able to win. I told myself before the Selection Show, that I was picking Jacks to win the first game and maybe win the next game to get to the Sweet 16. Why? Because its the Jacks first time in the Tourney, and why not select them/think the Jacks can win the game.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I think the strength of schedule was tougher for SDSU then the number says. They played 3 games in three days on the road. They played Minnesota, Georgia, Nebraska and Washington. They played Minnesota when Minnesota was healthy and pretty strong, and Nebraska when they were healthy. They played North Dakota and South Dakota twice, which I don't care who they are its hard to beat a team twice. Even teams you should beat. They played Buffalo and Western Michigan who were strong teams. and the biggest thing, if Oral Roberts was really the last team out, or one of the last 2 teams out, or even one of the last 6 teams out, then how can you put the conference champ, who was the only team to beat them during the regular season in conference, as a lower seed then them? Because ORU would have been a play-in making them a 13 seed.

Is RPI overrated? Yes, but I also think it has some legit points within it.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            I think the concept of 'signature wins' is emblematic of everything that is wrong with the NCAA selection process.
            Somewhat like judging figure skating. Affected significantly by reputation.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
            X