"And this team is no fluke."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "And this team is no fluke."

"One of the toughest potential tournament title games could be in Sioux Falls, S.D., where top seed Oral Roberts may have to face No. 2 South Dakota State in a final. It would be cool to see SDSU in the NCAA tournament, if for no other reason than to get fuller representation from the states. Aside from South Dakota, only Maine and Alaska (no Division I teams) have yet to send a school to the dance. Oh, and I’ve never hidden my fondness for the nickname and logo. For whatever reason, I love the Jackrabbits as a nickname. And this team is no fluke. Nate Wolters is a serious player who averages 21.2 points, five boards and 6.1 assists a game. SDSU crushed Washington in Seattle on Dec. 18 in its most impressive win of the season. The Jackrabbits also beat ORU at home by 15."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...e-the-momentum

Re: "And this team is no fluke."

It will be an achievement for SDSU to even make the championship game, getting through IUPUI and Oakland--both of whom are playing their best basketball of the year.

Reality check reminder: SDSU has never been in the championship game. You need to get there before you can win it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I've stated IUPUI doesn't make me that nervous.

Oakland on the other hand....
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        It will be an achievement for SDSU to even make the championship game, getting through IUPUI and Oakland--both of whom are playing their best basketball of the year.

Reality check reminder: SDSU has never been in the championship game. You need to get there before you can win it.
        Bothers me a little bit that as fans some feel it necessary to approach this cautiously. You don't very often win when you don't think you can or expect to do so. Why shouldn't Jackrabbit fans expect or anticipate a Summit league championship and tourney birth?

I've attended many SDSU championship games (all before DI, I understand) and witnessed victories as well as losses. Somebodies gonna win this thing and go dancing, I sure hope its the Jackrabbits!
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          I've stated IUPUI doesn't make me that nervous.

Oakland on the other hand....
          Why does Oakland scare you? Is it because of Hamilton and Bader? By looking at the records, it seems that Oakland has been playing great lately. Let's look at the teams they beat during this stretch.

They defeated WIU, IPFW, SUU, UMKC, and USD. They lost to Illinois State,IUPUI, and NDSU since the Jacks last played them.

So while it seems Oakland is on a hot streak they have not beaten anybody noteworthy since, well, us. I don't see them coming into Sioux Falls, our home away from home, and winning. Gotta get there first, however!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Bothers me a little bit that as fans some feel it necessary to approach this cautiously. You don't very often win when you don't think you can or expect to do so. Why shouldn't Jackrabbit fans expect or anticipate a Summit league championship and tourney birth?

I've attended many SDSU championship games (all before DI, I understand) and witnessed victories as well as losses. Somebodies gonna win this thing and go dancing, I sure hope its the Jackrabbits!
            And I've seen SDSU any number of playoff games that we had "won" before the game started.

The way I see it, premature chest-puffing only gives bulletin-board material to the other team. Me, I'd rather puff my chest after we win, not before.

Just a difference in styles, I guess.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My take: It doesn't matter if the fans/message board posters are overconfident or scared or just right or whatever. I know that Nagy will have the team ready to play and that they will be confident in their own abilities without taking any team lightly.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm just one of those "worry about every game, respect every opponent**" kind of guys. Your mileage may vary. Tastes like chicken.

** Well, except IPFW. I hate those guys.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  And I've seen SDSU any number of playoff games that we had "won" before the game started.

The way I see it, premature chest-puffing only gives bulletin-board material to the other team. Me, I'd rather puff my chest after we win, not before.

Just a difference in styles, I guess.
                  If opposing teams and coaching staffs are spending time 48 hours before a conference tournament game reading opponents fan message boards looking to find motivation,they could find better ways to spend their time.

Comment

Bottom line is the Jacks got about as tough of a draw as possible. Every team we could face has plenty of firepower. The Jacks have as much firepower as anyone else. Oakland and ORU have both been there and will have that confidence. The Jacks don't have that but this is a different Jacks team than any other year. Plus, we have beaten all of these teams this year. Factor in that the home crowd and I like our chances.

The key to the Jacks is how well we play on defense IMHO. Not worried about scoring with Nate at the helm.

No doubt it will make for some fun basketball games but it will be a huge challenge. Let's be loud and proud Jacks fans!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      If opposing teams and coaching staffs are spending time 48 hours before a conference tournament game reading opponents fan message boards looking to find motivation,they could find better ways to spend their time.
                      We can only hope . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I hope they are reading. I wish I could see the fear in their eyes as they see expert after expert picking the Jackrabbits to win. In fact, if we can be convincing enough as fans there is a chance that ORU and Oakland might not even show up for the tourney! Go Jackrabbits!!

As for the fluke thing, there was only one major fluke in the SDSU season this year and we all know where and when that occurred.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope they are reading. I wish I could see the fear in their eyes as they see expert after expert picking the Jackrabbits to win. In fact, if we can be convincing enough as fans there is a chance that ORU and Oakland might not even show up for the tourney! Go Jackrabbits!!

As for the fluke thing, there was only one major fluke in the SDSU season this year and we all know where and when that occurred.
                          I would say there were 2 fluke games. I am not sure which one was worse.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I hope they are reading. I wish I could see the fear in their eyes as they see expert after expert picking the Jackrabbits to win. In fact, if we can be convincing enough as fans there is a chance that ORU and Oakland might not even show up for the tourney! Go Jackrabbits!!As for the fluke thing, there was only one major fluke in the SDSU season this year and we all know where and when that occurred.
                            I'm pretty sure the fans sense fear, have you read the comments on that article? One ORU fan said the only reason Wolters is getting national attention is because he's white he called it the Wes Welker effect. I LOL'd so hard when he posted because if he's taking shots at Wolters(Potential Player of Year) that means they are nervous and jealous that most experts are picking the jacks to win the autobid.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I would say there were 2 fluke games. I am not sure which one was worse.
                              One of the ORU faithful was complaining that anyone would even suggest that SDSU could compete with ORU because of their two losses to "transitional teams". What the knucklehead didn't take into account was that both schools are almost 100 year rivals of the Jackrabbits (UND in 1917 and USD in 1915). Granted we took a couple of years off, but both are very familiar with/to us and they are hostile places to play.

Yes, they were flukes - but all things considered the loss to Nebraska might have been more disappointing than either of the UXD's. All ancient history, folks - SUMMIT TOURNEY yet to come. Go Jacks!!!!
                              Last edited by MaddogJack; 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X