Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "And this team is no fluke."

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Agreed. Stig is no doubt an absolutely great guy and the football team has seemed to follow suit. However, he is paid to win football games. I don't think we should settle for .500 records. Our goal needs to be making the playoffs and competing for national championships. Anything less is a failure.

We were mediocre our last few years of DII. That needs to change. We need to develop a new culture. Unfortunately that might mean a new head coach.
    Until we ger a new staduim and better budget I don't see that happening. We have had a ton of different assistants. That doesn't help either.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I may have a short memory, but we were mediocre for a lot longer than our last few years of DII.

Stig has never had a losing conference season in the MVFC. In 09 we were 7-1, the same year SIU went 8-0 (since then SIU has a 6-10 conference record btw). 25-15 is his conference record. He has had 1 losing season.

That is a world away from a 6 win season, IMO.

You might not like his play calling, personality, or whatever. But the fact is he is a top 30 coach in the country who makes probably half what other top 30 coaches make in a program that isn't funded nearly as well.
      I'm not calling for Stig to be fired. However, if the football program gets in a rut where they are bouncing around the .500 mark year after year with a 7-3 season and a first round playoff loss thrown in every four years or so. Should we as a fan base accept that? I'm not sure we should. I think as a fan base we should demand more.

Stig has had two losing seasons in a row. Let's say he has two more. Now he has had four in a row. I think his job should be in jeopardy. We shouldn't strive for mediocrity.

NDSU winning the national championship was awesome. I would love for that to be SDSU.

Sorry, but if this is true I am disappointed with Sell.

Stig has led us to pretty much every season being in the top 25, a conference championship, and our first playoff appearance in 40 years.

At one point Nagy won 6 games.
      With Nagy I look at all the other factors that affected his program. When we made the jump, the cupboard was bare. He had nothing to work with. He had guys like Luke Geiver and Brady Hokenson getting significant DI minutes. Those guys were not DI basketball players. Then you compound that with Holdren getting hurt and transferring, the two guys getting suspended, and the fact it's tough to recruit without being able to make the NCAA tournament. It amounted to the perfect storm that led to a 6 win season.

I thought Nagy needed to be given a chance to turn the team around. Let him have a chance to bring his recruits through the system. They did that and now look at the men's basketball team. They are top 60 RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I'm not calling for Stig to be fired. However, if the football program gets in a rut where they are bouncing around the .500 mark year after year with a 7-3 season and a first round playoff loss thrown in every four years or so. Should we as a fan base accept that? I'm not sure we should. I think as a fan base we should demand more.

Stig has had two losing seasons in a row. Let's say he has two more. Now he has had four in a row. I think his job should be in jeopardy. We shouldn't strive for mediocrity.

NDSU winning the national championship was awesome. I would love for that to be SDSU.

With Nagy I look at all the other factors that affected his program. When we made the jump, the cupboard was bare. He had nothing to work with. He had guys like Luke Geiver and Brady Hokenson getting significant DI minutes. Those guys were not DI basketball players. Then you compound that with Holdren getting hurt and transferring, the two guys getting suspended, and the fact it's tough to recruit without being able to make the NCAA tournament. It amounted to the perfect storm that led to a 6 win season.

I thought Nagy needed to be given a chance to turn the team around. Let him have a chance to bring his recruits through the system. They did that and now look at the men's basketball team. They are top 60 RPI.
        We can agree to disagree, I do enjoy the banter.

One thing that has bothered me for quite some time is how fans view Steve Holdren. This is a bold statement, but Holdren was a cancer for our basketball team and probably had as much to do with our struggles as anyone. He was a great talent, but he made the other players on the team worse, and was always a me-first player. I heard comments directly from him and his parents that were very detrimental to the state of South Dakota, SDSU, coach Nagy, and his teammates. He quit on his team when it needed him the most. I would take 100 Luke Geivers and Brady Hokensens over 1 more Steve Holdren.

The basketball team is top 60 RPI, which is quite an achievement.

The football team has finished the season ranked number 11, which is also quite an achievement.

I won't settle for mediocrity, but in my mind we haven't been mediocre. We play in an extremely tough league with fewer resources of every measurable kind than our competition. I do not want to become the Minnesota Gophers of the MVFC by firing good football coaches.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We can agree to disagree, I do enjoy the banter.

One thing that has bothered me for quite some time is how fans view Steve Holdren. This is a bold statement, but Holdren was a cancer for our basketball team and probably had as much to do with our struggles as anyone. He was a great talent, but he made the other players on the team worse, and was always a me-first player. I heard comments directly from him and his parents that were very detrimental to the state of South Dakota, SDSU, coach Nagy, and his teammates. He quit on his team when it needed him the most. I would take 100 Luke Geivers and Brady Hokensens over 1 more Steve Holdren.

The basketball team is top 60 RPI, which is quite an achievement.

The football team has finished the season ranked number 11, which is also quite an achievement.

I won't settle for mediocrity, but in my mind we haven't been mediocre. We play in an extremely tough league with fewer resources of every measurable kind than our competition. I do not want to become the Minnesota Gophers of the MVFC by firing good football coaches.
          I would contend we have been mediocre the last two years. In fact, we've had a losing record the last two years. You are what your records says.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            I would contend we have been mediocre the last two years. In fact, we've had a losing record the last two years. You are what your records says.
            I think that if we see the men's team head to the tournament and then go back to being a .500 basketball team then we will see the same things said about Nagy. It isn't about being sucessful for one season every few years. I want teams that are competitive every year. That is why the football team has frustrated me the last couple seasons.

I understand that the funding thing is always great to fall back on, but the team made the playoffs with this budget. So why can't they again?
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I think that if we see the men's team head to the tournament and then go back to being a .500 basketball team then we will see the same things said about Nagy. It isn't about being sucessful for one season every few years. I want teams that are competitive every year. That is why the football team has frustrated me the last couple seasons.

I understand that the funding thing is always great to fall back on, but the team made the playoffs with this budget. So why can't they again?
              They will make it. Wolters is not going to the NBA draft, Carlson will continue to improve as will Dykstra, Chad White, Horstman, Prince and Fiegen who proved to be a real animal tonight, will all be back and ready for another season. Nothing but good coming down the road for BB, football the jury is still out.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 03-04-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

It was mentioned holdren was a cancer to the basketball team but the last year and half of this year TOB was the cancer. I know its not PC to say cancer but he sucked the will and spirit out of the program. Looked what happened after he left. Know all the talk about players not being all in..... Seems pretty obvious now.

The basketball team has had their issues and when they were adressed they got better. The football team addressed its issues and I suspect we will be much improved record wise.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  It was mentioned holdren was a cancer to the basketball team but the last year and half of this year TOB was the cancer. I know its not PC to say cancer but he sucked the will and spirit out of the program. Looked what happened after he left. Know all the talk about players not being all in..... Seems pretty obvious now.

The basketball team has had their issues and when they were adressed they got better. The football team addressed its issues and I suspect we will be much improved record wise.
                  I hope you are right. And maybe it's not possible to be a competitive every year with our current funding situation. Not sure we will ever know for sure.

If we fall into a rut where we are hovering around the .500 mark, Sell will have a tough decision to make on the future of the football program.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Correct in both cases, I dont think cancer is the right word, both of these SA did us more harm than good. I think we can leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Correct in both cases, I dont think cancer is the right word, both of these SA did us more harm than good. I think we can leave it at that.
                      That's probably a better way to put it.

Comment

Working...
                      X