Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "And this team is no fluke."

Originally posted by witness View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fans sense fear, have you read the comments on that article? One ORU fan said the only reason Wolters is getting national attention is because he's white he called it the Wes Welker effect. I LOL'd so hard when he posted because if he's taking shots at Wolters(Potential Player of Year) that means they are nervous and jealous that most experts are picking the jacks to win the autobid.
    i wouldnt say that most of the experts are picking us. heck even katz doesnt come out and pick us to win, he just said it would be cool. And thats the most i've heard anyone even mention us and the tourny, to evrybody else in the nation ORU is a lock.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

The reason I am nervous is because when it comes to tournament time you can throw out all the records. I was there when SDSU beat ORU, who was by far the better team. Callahan and Moss went off. What people also forget about that night was the first game where Centenary went on a big run, and it was close with a couple of minutes left before they got into foul trouble against NDSU.

I guess what I get at is anytime you get to the tournament you are playing against good teams, add in teams that have that player who can go off and it doesn't really matter whats the record is.

Comment

This guy picks the Jacks to win the tourney...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtVnb5CIsj4

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          The reason I am nervous is because when it comes to tournament time you can throw out all the records. I was there when SDSU beat ORU, who was by far the better team. Callahan and Moss went off. What people also forget about that night was the first game where Centenary went on a big run, and it was close with a couple of minutes left before they got into foul trouble against NDSU.

I guess what I get at is anytime you get to the tournament you are playing against good teams, add in teams that have that player who can go off and it doesn't really matter whats the record is.
          These things are true and I think most of us remember that well. Doesn't mean you should be nervous, be excited instead. Certainly is a different feeling being a top seed as opposed to a lower seed. I like this better.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

TV had a stat on Twitter that was interesting. In 06-07 the Jack men had an RPI of 329 out 336 teams. Today it is 57th out of 344 teams. Arent we glad we gave Nagy a little time. There were some that wanted him fired after the first year of D1

Comment

I like the fact that we are completely healthy! It should be a great time!

Comment

One of the un(der)covered pieces on the growth of this team is how Nagy snared two SETS of small-town tandems White/Fiegen & Dykstra/Heemstra and evolved these tandems to be part of the larger SDSU team. It seems to me that it is rare that the tandems are in the game at the same time, more like they spell the other local.

Other than Griff and Prince, these guys are local products. May we see them climb the Summit, and then hop thru 1 or more rounds in the NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  TV had a stat on Twitter that was interesting. In 06-07 the Jack men had an RPI of 329 out 336 teams. Today it is 57th out of 344 teams. Arent we glad we gave Nagy a little time. There were some that wanted him fired after the first year of D1
                  As one of those people, good point.

One of the reasons why I'm willing to give Stig some slack with the football team.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

One of the reasons why I'm willing to give Stig some slack with the football team.

Of course, we are seeing the same thing going on at Vermillion with Boots. Have to have patience.

Comment

Not to detract from the point of the thread, but I can say, with confidence, Stig is on a much shorter leash now than Nagy ever was.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        Not to detract from the point of the thread, but I can say, with confidence, Stig is on a much shorter leash now than Nagy ever was.
                        Agreed. Stig is no doubt an absolutely great guy and the football team has seemed to follow suit. However, he is paid to win football games. I don't think we should settle for .500 records. Our goal needs to be making the playoffs and competing for national championships. Anything less is a failure.

We were mediocre our last few years of DII. That needs to change. We need to develop a new culture. Unfortunately that might mean a new head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          Sorry, but if this is true I am disappointed with Sell.

Stig has led us to pretty much every season being in the top 25, a conference championship, and our first playoff appearance in 40 years.

At one point Nagy won 6 games.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Sorry, but if this is true I am disappointed with Sell.

Stig has led us to pretty much every season being in the top 25, a conference championship, and our first playoff appearance in 40 years.

At one point Nagy won 6 games.
                            Agreed. I say the same thing with Stig as I did with Nagy. Until the program is fully/competitively funded how in good conscience can you fire someone? It's like having 10 workers digging miles of ditches: nine get loaders, 1 gets a shovel. Then you tell them last one done is fired. We also play in the toughest conference in the country, every week, there is no slack like those other conferences to relax a week and beat up on someone. Stig's only mistake is that he gave an idiot reins of his team for three weeks too many.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Agreed. Stig is no doubt an absolutely great guy and the football team has seemed to follow suit. However, he is paid to win football games. I don't think we should settle for .500 records. Our goal needs to be making the playoffs and competing for national championships. Anything less is a failure.

We were mediocre our last few years of DII. That needs to change. We need to develop a new culture. Unfortunately that might mean a new head coach.
                              I may have a short memory, but we were mediocre for a lot longer than our last few years of DII.

Stig has never had a losing conference season in the MVFC. In 09 we were 7-1, the same year SIU went 8-0 (since then SIU has a 6-10 conference record btw). 25-15 is his conference record. He has had 1 losing season.

That is a world away from a 6 win season, IMO.

You might not like his play calling, personality, or whatever. But the fact is he is a top 30 coach in the country who makes probably half what other top 30 coaches make in a program that isn't funded nearly as well.

Comment

I may have a short memory, but we were mediocre for a lot longer than our last few years of DII.
                                "Very good Fisher, you win a cookie!"

Anyone that doesn't understand how far the FB program has come under Stig just needs to look at attendance figures. Poorly attended games the past few years would've been decent crowds the last few decades in DII.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X