X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD Week

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

This is Mick Garrys article in the Argus. If i read it right, hes saying there were 1100 USD fans there? Or maybe im reading it wrong. Maybe a couple hundred at most.
    Huh. You read it right.

And to think...I JUST told a co-worker who asked, that there was probably about 200 yote fans there. (Granted, I guess I never went to the GA side to see what the reserved side looked like, maybe there were quite a few more 605ers on the east end of the reserved side?)
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by cottontail View Post
      All of the hype over Gruis and Dykstra, Gruis gets my vote as the better player. He played 38 plus minutes. Dykstra, Hmmm not 38. Why? Did he do an awesome job defending Gruis? Absoultely not. Nor did anyone else. I believe they rotated people in and out on Gruis. No they do not play the same position so it's not comparing apple to apples, but I would rather have Gruis on my team any day. They pulled Gruis' scholly because Dykstra was available. Do they really need another 3 point shooter?
      Throwing a flag on this guy: Cottontail has three posts since joining in 2009. Each post dealing with Gruis v. Dykstra with the first going back to 2009 in the thread "2010 Recruits". (Click on "cottontail" and read the prior posts for yourself.) Each of first two posts is similar in tone to the above post. Pretty strong evidence of: dad, mom, sibling, cousin or best friend of Gruis.

Now, I've always thought Gruis is a good player. I watched a couple of USD games last year. Last night in Frost was the first time I've watched him this year. Judging from his stats so far this year, it seems he has not gotten better compared to last year. Even so, there's no question in my mind he would have been a nice member of the Jackrabbit roster. But suggesting he's better than Dykstra? That's undiluted B.S.

Why did Dykstra not play 38 minutes? You must not have been at the game, cottontail. We had to play our bench a lot or Nagy would have been subject to indictment by a grand jury for coyote murder. Did Dykstra do an "awesome" job defending Gruis. Well, if we try to describe the action using middle-school adjectives, I'd say it was an awesome job when he was on Gruis. But Dykstra didn't just defend against Gruis. There were several plays when our guys were switching and it could be said Dykstra nearly single-handidly kept at least three Coyotes out of contention on many plays. Dykstra is faster, more mobile, has better jumping ability and can shoot from anywhere.

You suggest none of the Jacks defended well against Gruis. I was in Frost and when I returned home, I watched much of the game on the DVR. The game was over within the starting minutes. If the Jacks had stepped on the Coyotes any harder, we'd be listening to the whining of running the score up etc etc.

Read the Argus Leader stories and the comments from the USD coaches and players. They have a much more realistic view of what happened last night.

You state you'd rather have Gruis on your team any day. That's fine. Coach Boots may have thought the same. Coach Nagy apparently thought otherwise. Look again at the score. Case closed.

So, who are you, Gruis's mom, dad, sibling, cousin, best friend? Sixth-grade coach? Somebody's been bugged since 2009 about our selection of Dykstra over Gruis. Hmmmm.

Comment

This is Mick Garrys article in the Argus. If i read it right, hes saying there were 1100 USD fans there? Or maybe im reading it wrong. Maybe a couple hundred at most.
        I guessed maybe as many as 700 but a little hard to tell since some had black on. I have a hard time believing there were 1100 USD fans present.

Comment

I would have guessed 300 from my view in the student section.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by cottontail View Post
            All of the hype over Gruis and Dykstra, Gruis gets my vote as the better player. He played 38 plus minutes. Dykstra, Hmmm not 38. Why? Did he do an awesome job defending Gruis? Absoultely not. Nor did anyone else. I believe they rotated people in and out on Gruis. No they do not play the same position so it's not comparing apple to apples, but I would rather have Gruis on my team any day. They pulled Gruis' scholly because Dykstra was available. Do they really need another 3 point shooter?
            Gruis had an offer to come here and he didn't take it when it was there. The Jacks moved on. End of story! To compare the two on one game is just ridiculous! Moot point! He is a Yote and Dykstra is a Jack! Dykstra fits very well for the Jacks and is getting better. You have to wonder what Gruis was thinking after the game last night.

My guess he was saying to himself, "Geez, why did I choose U605? I mean, red is my favorite color but I could have played for a much better team, played in a much better facility, played in front of bigger crowds, and had a chance to play in the conference tournament with the chance of playing in the NCAA tournament. Instead, we play in a dump, can't go anywhere even if we win everything which ain't going to happen with this team of chumps, and nobody comes to watch us play. I really do like red though!"

That game was as thorough of a kicking as you will see and illustrates the difference of where these two programs were at. Not saying that its a sad state of affairs in Vermillion. SDSU was there, went through it, and has come out the other side. Obviously, I hope the Jacks continue to stomp them forever but I do hope that USD does well because its good for the state.

Great game Jacks! Just what we were hoping for!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Mick being the USD beat writer uses the USD method of attendance tabulation. (number in attendance X 3 + an odd number as to not make it obvious OR pickl a random number out of the sky as to not look like baffoons in the media). So 1100 seems about right. Those that were there saw 200-300 TOPS!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Well that was completely satisfying. TV's opening paragraph, love it, except maybe the "oddly enough" part.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120113/SPORTS0202/301130005/Jacks-first-half-rout-keeps-Coyotes-bay-video-

I
                t's a crime Krogman scored more points than Wolters. Considering about 1/2 way through the first half Wolters had as many points as they did. That's actually the most passive I've seen Nate play since he was a freshman. Did he need to be overly aggressive? Obviously not. But it seemed as though he could have blown through their guys every time down the court before they even got that crap zone set up. But it seemed he was content letting the other guys take the show. I guess I'm just being selfish. I just wanted the great Nate to come out and show them "here's what we've got".

The Dome will be tougher. That place is a notorious P.I.T.A. for guys who haven't shot a basketball there before. The driving Nate Wolters may need to come that night.

Student section...I love the giant heads!

And whoever said Westbrook's dunk is one of the best in Frost. Um...did you watch Dale Moss the last few years?

Well done. Come out strong again. Don't let UMKC scare you like they did the Bison.

Comment

Congrats Jacks fans as last night was pure a simple "drop our drawers and have your way with us" night. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing. The talent level between the two teams is wide, and what made it worse is that I honestly believe our players have "checked out and disengaged" themselves from Coach Boots.I don't have the basketball knowledge to be able to say this or that about fixing the problem. I just know that the talent at SDSU is far better, deeper, and plays with more of an agenda than does USD. My opinion is that Coach Boots was so freaking uptight before the game, and he just completely lost it early in the game, I think our players have just come to ignore him. I have never seen Charlie Westbrook play like he did last night. He got shouted at and he pouted the whole game. As a former jock I was embarrassed.A few observations. There was maybe 500 Coyote fans last night. Maybe. I was behind the USD bench and in front of the students, and other than a few vulgar chants or comments, the really did act ok. I was embarrassed to see a couple of our students wear a vulgar t-shirt last night, and in fact, one was worn by a young lady. If my daughter would wear something like that I think I would disown her. After the ass whooping I thought some fans would take a friendly poke at us but in all candor, they didn't. I think they honestly felt so damned bad for us they didn't want to add insult to injury. The crowd was into it and that quite frankly in my opinion is what gave you the fast start....that plus you have that much better talent.In closing, congrats on the win. This mangy Coyote went home limping all the way. Best wishes except for the rematch in February.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    Congrats Jacks fans as last night was pure a simple "drop our drawers and have your way with us" night. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing. The talent level between the two teams is wide, and what made it worse is that I honestly believe our players have "checked out and disengaged" themselves from Coach Boots.I don't have the basketball knowledge to be able to say this or that about fixing the problem. I just know that the talent at SDSU is far better, deeper, and plays with more of an agenda than does USD. My opinion is that Coach Boots was so freaking uptight before the game, and he just completely lost it early in the game, I think our players have just come to ignore him. I have never seen Charlie Westbrook play like he did last night. He got shouted at and he pouted the whole game. As a former jock I was embarrassed.A few observations. There was maybe 500 Coyote fans last night. Maybe. I was behind the USD bench and in front of the students, and other than a few vulgar chants or comments, the really did act ok. I was embarrassed to see a couple of our students wear a vulgar t-shirt last night, and in fact, one was worn by a young lady. If my daughter would wear something like that I think I would disown her. After the ass whooping I thought some fans would take a friendly poke at us but in all candor, they didn't. I think they honestly felt so damned bad for us they didn't want to add insult to injury. The crowd was into it and that quite frankly in my opinion is what gave you the fast start....that plus you have that much better talent.In closing, congrats on the win. This mangy Coyote went home limping all the way. Best wishes except for the rematch in February.
                    Very good post! Rep points!

There was a wide gap. My guess is that the state fans didn't give you grief like they may have a decade ago is because we have walked in the shoes you are in right now. The transition process is brutal and is worst in men's basketball. It was great to see Frost full and noisy. It's been a long time coming and needs to be that way consistently from here forward for more than just USD and NDSU games. No doubt things will be different in Vermillion. We laid an egg at UND this year after beating them by forty at home but I don't see us letting that happen twice.

Yote fans need to keep their chins up. The sun came up this morning. Thanks for coming up for dinner last night yoteforever!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I've seen all of Dale's dunks and I loved watching Dale play, but that Westbrook dunk was the best I've seen in Frost. Dale's oop on the out of bounds play against IUPUI last year comes close, though.

Comment

I agree about not being too hard on the USD fans because of the scale of the blowout, and the fact that we had some similarly tough years. At the end of the day, most of us are South Dakotans anyway. I even stooped to such a low level last night that I drove up to the game with a USD fan and paid for his dinner and ticket. Embarassing, I know....

This recent level of MBB success is extra sweet after the hard times we fought through in the transition process. You can't get much lower than recruiting football players to temporarily join your BB team like we did a few years back!

I can't wait to get back up there and do this again on Monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I've seen all of Dale's dunks and I loved watching Dale play, but that Westbrook dunk was the best I've seen in Frost. Dale's oop on the out of bounds play against IUPUI last year comes close, though.
                          '

I guess I wasn't THAT impressed by the dunk...it was good, don't get me wrong. But Dale has had better.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            '

I guess I wasn't THAT impressed by the dunk...it was good, don't get me wrong. But Dale has had better.
                            Agree to disagree

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              I spoke at length with someone close to the program, someone who attended practices earlier this week. Keep in mind that I spoke to him before the game last night. He told me the same thing YF is saying here, the team doesn't have the cohesiveness necessary to excel. I remember about 5 years ago when SDSU had some very talented freshmen and some decent upper class men and the Jackrabbits could not get it together on the court. Didn't seem to matter what Nagy did the team found a way to shut down and lose games, even a few games like last night. This loss is magnified because bonehead media guys tried to make it more than it is. What it is is a team in transition against a team on the rise.

So, just one game, ugly as it was. Take a look at Ben Woodside and NDSU, Nate Wolters and SDSU, USD is going to struggle mightily for now and likely for a couple of more years. However, find the right guy or two, build around him and before you know it you're competing.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                '

It was good but not great he had plently of room on the baseline we were slow to get back. Good play by him. Dales dunks on rebounds or in traffic rate higher to me. During the transition we gave up dunks that were more impressive and with more authority on a nightly basis then what west brook had. Personally dunks from matt jones were my favorite that I have ever see on frost.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X