Dakota State comes to Frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakota State comes to Frost

Hmmm....is tonight's game an exhibition game? According to Dakota State's official site, it's an exhibition -- here's a portion of the story from DSU:

THIS WEEK: After taking a week off, Dakota State (7-4 overall record) returns back to action on Monday night. The Trojans play an exhibition game at NCAA Division I South Dakota State (8-3, 2-0 Summit League). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Frost Arena in Brookings, S.D. DSU returns back to regular-season action as they host nationally-ranked Bellevue (Neb.) (7-3) on Saturday night. The starting game time is slated for 7 p.m. at DSU Fieldhouse.LAST MEETING: The last South Dakota State's regular-season action versus Dakota State was on Nov. 25, 2000 at the Frost Arena. The Jackrabbits outscored the Trojans 45-25 in the first-half and defeated DSU 87-51. Both teams had met in an exhibition action last season on Nov 1, 2010 at Frost Arena, won by SDSU by the score of 82-63. South Dakota State is 18-4 all-time versus Dakota State. DSU's last win versus the Jackrabbits was during the 1934 season where the Trojans won 35-34....
    http://www.dsuathletics.com/news/201...k-preview.aspx

The game is not listed as an exhibition game on SDSU's schedule. (I recall the concept of exhibition games were discussed in a thread a year or two ago and apparently one school can designate a game "exhibition" while the other school can 'count it'.

Not finding any pre-game notes on GoJacks.com.

Here's a link to DSU's site showing their schedule and season results so far (7-4 on the season):
    http://www.dsuathletics.com/basketba...e-results.aspx

Re: Dakota State comes to Frost

Gary Garner, DSU's coach, is no stranger to SDSU and Frost Arena. Here's a reminder: Coach Garner was at the helm of some great Ft. Hays State teams including a DII national titlewinner. Story from Dakota State's website about Garner being inducted into the Ft. Hays State Hall of Fame:

http://www.dsuathletics.com/news/201...11-garner.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Hmmm....is tonight's game an exhibition game? According to Dakota State's official site, it's exhibition: The game is not listed as an exhibition game on SDSU's schedule. (I recall the concept of exhibition games were discussed in a thread a year or two ago and apparently one school can designate a game "exhibition" while the other school can 'count it'.
      DSU did this same thing when they played Augie earlier in the season. It was counted as a game for Augie and exhibition for DSU.

Comment

Looking at the DSU schedule, it appears the Trojans' game against Northern was also exhibition. DSU lost both the Augie and Northern exhibition games.

Comment

yeah, its one of those things you see when a team plays up. Its an exhibition on one side and a real game on the other. The reason it was explained to me is because in the NAIA, when they go to the selection committee they don't know if a South Dakota State is a D-I team, D-II team or NAIA team. They just see a loss, but if its an exhibition it doesn't show up

Comment

Lets hope we dont have a repeat of the 1934 game. I would think we could play this game without Wolters giving his ankle a little rest time.

Comment

If we have to play lower level teams why are we not playing Augie and Northern?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Because **** Augie and Northern.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Thats a very good question. It would help our attendence figures if you scheduled both. Could it be that Northern and Augie dont want have a UND performance at Frost? It makes you wonder. Or maybe Nagy does not want to risk an embarrassment?

Comment

I think it has to do with Nagy and Dakota State's coach having a good history.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I think it has to do with Nagy and Dakota State's coach having a good history.
                      You might be on to something here. DSU will come in as one of the better coacheds team and may be miles behind in talent.

Comment

Augie and Northern would probably ask for quite a bit more money to come play in Brookings than DSU/SMSU does. DSU and SMSU are 2 of the closest colleges with athletic programs to Brookings and there home attendance isn't as high as Northern/Augie, so their is more of a financial draw for DSU/SMSU to play these games.

It wouldn't surprise me either if Augie would demand a return game much like USD did when we went DI and they stayed DII. Old rivalries die hard and I'm quite certain there are still plenty of people involved with Augie athletics that still view SDSU as a peer athletic program rather than one in a higher division.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          Augie and Northern would probably ask for quite a bit more money to come play in Brookings than DSU/SMSU does.

It wouldn't surprise me either if Augie would demand a return game much like USD did when we went DI and they stayed DII. Old rivalries die hard and I'm quite certain there are still plenty of people involved with Augie athletics that still view SDSU as a peer athletic program rather than one in a higher division.
                          Augie and Northern are usually towards the top in D-II attendance. They don't want to play away games if they don't have to, and if they are going to it better be beneficial. Where DSU who draws a couple hundred on a great night can drive a short distance, make some money, and get some notice.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Because **** Augie and Northern.
                            Sometimes I just can't stop from laughing at a post! That was funny!
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              Augie and Northern would probably ask for quite a bit more money to come play in Brookings than DSU/SMSU does.

This.

Comment

Working...
                              X