Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iupui

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Its a collective effort on D. Dale would have to be playing head and shoulders better D to be in IMO. Honestly a little bit better blocking out on rebounds and we don't give up a few easy put backs is the difference in the game. To me Dales rebounding is no more impressive then the rest of the team.
    I agree about about it being a collective effort but you also have to have players that are athletic enough to guard someone one on one. Do you really think that Carlson is a better option than Dale in the last 5 minutes of a close game? I think I would rather take my chances with the Senior.

Comment

UMKC beat ORU at the buzzer in Tulsa. Weird Summit this year. Man, this could have been a huge win for jacks tonight.

Comment

We are tied for fourth in the Summit

Oakland 7-0
        IUPUI 5-2
        IPFW 5-2
        SDSU 4-3
        UMKC 4-3
        ORU 4-4
        NDSU 3-4
        WIU 2-5
        SUU 2-5
        Cent 0-8

We may need 11 Summit wins to finish third or better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
          I agree about about it being a collective effort but you also have to have players that are athletic enough to guard someone one on one. Do you really think that Carlson is a better option than Dale in the last 5 minutes of a close game? I think I would rather take my chances with the Senior.
          Fair point, but if they were pressing, having a nother ball handler was important which Carlson is better the Moss IMO. But if your putting in just a Team for D with little consideration for offense then Dale would prolly be it. But its also what the 4 other guys do and what the team needs total. I think Dale would have been in if coaches felt he proved he should deserve to be there. The way Teams have shot against us this year is amazing. What ever the answer is I hope everyone figures it out. When they do it will be a good run in SF for the tourny, Just need to figure out D for a full game. If we kept them low in the first half, we must have been doing something well.

I have not really watched many games yet this year, do we switch D or is it straight man to man, or do they rotate on D or ever do a zone? Frankly just switching it up to a different look could be helpful, If ORU shoots that way in Brookings, maybe a zone could have helped keep people in position to help. Maybe it could have helped close of those driving lanes tonight.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

ORU - UMKC in Overtime!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              We are tied for fourth in the Summit

Oakland 7-0
              IUPUI 5-2
              IPFW 5-2
              SDSU 4-3
              UMKC 4-3
              ORU 4-4
              NDSU 3-4
              WIU 2-5
              SUU 2-5
              Cent 0-8

We may need 11 Summit wins to finish third or better.

This is why the home loss to NDSU upset me so much. We lost badly do a team that has not proven to be as good as they have been the last few years, yet this year they still beat us. Home losses to teams that are ranked below us is no way to stay in the top half of the seeding for the summit Tourny. Fine, If we lose to Oakland and IUPUI at home, who are picked ahead of us is one thing, but to lose to NDSU and ORU, teams who have proven are beatable in confrence is just frustrating to watch. Right now I see us only finishing 9-9 in confrence. Not sure how we get 10 or even 11.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

ORU wins - 69 - 63

Comment

End of the day

OU 7-0
                  IPFW 5-2
                  IUPUI 5-2
                  ORU 5-3
                  SDSU 4-3
                  NDSU 3-4
                  UMKC 3-4
                  WIl 2-5
                  SUU 2-5
                  Cent 0-8

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    ORU - UMKC in Overtime!

Wow, ESPN had UMKC winning this on a last-second shot, 56-54

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      End of the day

OU 7-0
                      IPFW 5-2
                      IUPUI 5-2
                      ORU 5-3
                      SDSU 4-3
                      NDSU 3-4
                      UMKC 3-4
                      WIl 2-5
                      SUU 2-5
                      Cent 0-8

Thanks for correction. Do you know what happened at end of regulation with ORU-UMKC? Was a basket waved off? I don't think ORU was ever ahead in regulation, which is pretty amazing.

Comment

0.7 seconds left, ORU full court pass and a bunny to take it to OT!

UMKC could not recover.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          The ESPN box score says that Carlson started and Clint came off the bench. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate and, if so, any reason given on the radio broadcast?
                          The box score on the SDSU site says Clint started and played 37 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Thanks for correction. Do you know what happened at end of regulation with ORU-UMKC? Was a basket waved off? I don't think ORU was ever ahead in regulation, which is pretty amazing.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeTD_c0tFk

Hat tip to the Golden Grizzlies Game Plan twitter feed for the link.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              This is why the home loss to NDSU upset me so much. We lost badly do a team that has not proven to be as good as they have been the last few years, yet this year they still beat us. Home losses to teams that are ranked below us is no way to stay in the top half of the seeding for the summit Tourny. Fine, If we lose to Oakland and IUPUI at home, who are picked ahead of us is one thing, but to lose to NDSU and ORU, teams who have proven are beatable in confrence is just frustrating to watch. Right now I see us only finishing 9-9 in confrence. Not sure how we get 10 or even 11.

I think we can get 10. We have UMKC, So Utah, W Ill, and IUPUI at home. No reason we cant beat IUPUI at home when we led most of the game there. We have Centenary on the road. Thats gets us 9. I think we can beat IPFW at home next weekend, so thats 10. Who knows, maybe we win at IPFW or Oral Roberts to get to 11. Of course im drinking coffee from a half full cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                                I agree. Nagy sounds like a broken record. Same old comments in the post game interview when we lose about how the guys don't play defense and can't get stops when needed. This is from a coach that has White and Carlson in at the end of the game. He continues to put offensive line-ups on the court when we need to play defense. Is Dale offensive minded, of course not. But there is plenty of offense on the court with Nate, Clint and Griff or Chad that offsets Dale's lack of offense. Dale's defense once again was needed but there he sat. He should have been in the game. If Nagy is going to continue to complain about our lack of defense, talking about how important it is, he needs to start coaching like it is important.
                                This post will probably be a little all over the board but here goes......

There are 2 ways to win a basketball game.....you can either try to outscore the other team, or make sure they score less than you do.

Given that we are ranked 13th in team scoring in the NCAA, its become pretty apparent which route we have chosen to go as a team. We have all become so enthralled with our offensive abilities that we have even taken to making posts such as this.....
                                Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                An observation I've made:

When we have good perimeter ball movement, this team is very, very good offensively. Maybe unbeatable.
                                ....but the problem is, is that when your defense is so god awful bad, a great offense can't overcome it. We are on a stretch of 2 out of 3 games now, where in one game we give up 65%+ shooting and 82% from 3 pt range and in last nights game we gave up, I believe, over 70% in the second half (I believe those 2 qualify us for my previous comment as god awful on defense).

I know Nagy sounds like a broken record to some, and I do agree that Moss needed to be in at the end, but until the rest of the team, minus maybe a couple, bucks it up and figures it out on the defensive end we will continue to lose these games pure and simple. In fact, we might as well forget about the conference tournament until we play better defense as a team.

Defense is nothing more than a mindset. A combinination of effort and desire will get a pretty favorable result most every time. We even talk about how we can't have an offensive minded team in at the end of a game where we are down (back to my argument of a defensive mindset), it sounds to me like the players are choosing to be offensive minded vs. defense, which goes back to the heart of Nagy's comments. Those same skills that make a player good on offense, can make them good on defense if that was what they wanted.

I will give a local example of a defensive mindset from here in Nebraska. On Creightons mens team, they have a young man, Kaleb Korver. He is the younger brother of Kyle Korver, who is now in the NBA. Kaleb came to Creighton as an offensive player. Over time his game progressed from offensive player, to strictly a 3 pt shooter to last year he was even hesitant to shoot a 3 pter at times except when he was wide open. Kaleb figured out what that was going to mean for his playing time, this year he came back as a senior and he has gone from defensive liability to defensive stopper in one season, and a pretty good one at that. It all happened because that is what he wanted to happen.

My last point is this......we are currently ranked 3rd in the nation in 3 pt shooting as a team. Nagy could get up at the end of the game and say we lost because we aren't first in the nation in 3 pt shooting or he can keep beating the drum on defense. I personally hope he keeps beating the drum on defense, because the sooner the entire team figures it out, the sooner we take the next step to an elite team in the conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X