Ndsu-gdt-men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu-gdt-men

We make up the diffenrce in height at the guard positions, who normally are away from the paint!

Take Wright & Fiegen for example: Same Height Fiegen had him by 20 lbs and he has Fiegen by 20 inches in vertical, who gets the board if nobody boxes out?

Fiegen is kinda robotic and Wright is extremly athletic: Advantage Wright!

Anyway, we are not going to be a good rebounding team and we knew that coming in. SDSU is a shot making team this year and that is what needs to offset rebounding.

We also have a 2-1 assist to TO ratio and score a lot of points each game.

We just did not play our game and make shots!

End of Story!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I added up, the height of the teams players who played signifcant minutes, the least played for NDSU was 9 ,minutes and contributed so i counted him that played, we had Stephenson and Carlson play 5 minutes total so i did not include them because they had no signifcant stats or minutes.

Of the 7 players of ours who saw most the action. the avg height was 77.14 inches.
      of the 9 players who played for NDSU the most, they avg height was 77.33 inches.

Sure if we count Stephenson and Carlson we would be shorter. but they hardely played so did not contribute signifcant minutes.

It is embaressing we get out rebounded from there 9 players compared to our players who avg .2 inches taller then we were.

they have a deeper team which maybe fresh legs could be a factor, but frankly, I think its mind set, they have decided that NDSU is better then us, at the same time NDSU knows they can beat us no matter what we try to do.

Sadly if we still have a body like Cordova, who could keep in the paint and get a body on the offensive boards, that would have helped a lot. we got pushed down, and no one pushed back exept for Nate on offense. I want to get over this loss, but its disapointing on so many levels.
      Not to beat a dead horse....but this one needs to be flogged a little bit more!!!

I think you are looking at the height thing wrong, look at it from this perspective. Below is a list of players for each team, their heights and the minutes played.

NDSU ................................SDSU
      Bjorklund 6-8 17 minutes....... Dykstra 6-8 17 minutes
      Braun.....6-7 23 minutes....... Fiegen...6-7 23 minutes

Lundberg 6-0 20 Minutes...... Wolters..6-3 38 Minutes
      Zastrow. 6-1 19 Minutes...... Aireus... 6-0 01 Minute

Carlson 6-6 33 Minutes.........White....6-6 29 Minutes
      ........................................Carlson 6-4 4 Minutes

Notice that all the players are pretty much the same height and played the exact same amount of minutes. But take a look at the differential between the remaining players and the 88 minutes of court time.

NDSU..............................SDSU
      Nagel.... 6-9 9 minutes...... Callahan 6-4 21 Minutes
      Tveidt... 6-7 35 minutes.... Moss..... 6-4 31 minutes
      Wright... 6-7 26 minutes.....Sargent. 6-4 36 minutes
      Coleman. 6-3 18 minutes

I'm not sure what the answer is, but height will be an issue all year if Pederson and Heimstra stay on the bench.....so we have to figure something out.

I know their motion offense appeared to be giving us a hard time. The constant movement and trying to keep up with them by getting around screens seemed to be getting us out of position defensively for rebounds. I was always under the impression that if you were being beat by quickness or height you went away from man to man and went to a zone defense. If they hit their 20 ft jumpers then I guess it just wasn't your night. I know the zone D worked for the women last year in the tournament against Oklahoma.

Comment

With our height (and Fiegen's lack of mass) it's going to be one of those years where we live or die based on whether or not the long jumpers are falling on a given night. I don't see a way around that.

Comment

well, what was the rebounding difference and the height difference for Idaho? I think people are minimizing the damage that game has done to this team. Whats more important beating a easy non confrence schedule or winning the confrence? Well we are a long way off from competing for the top of the confrence after our first con home game. Maybe this team needed a slap in the face, because that is what they sure got. If it was on the road and we lost this game the same way, fine it was on the road. But giving up the rebounds to a comparable team at home is not ok. Has NDSU been out rebounding all of their opponents the same margine? I am going to guess no. NDSU wanted it more and they took it. They are no better then us yet our players sure play like they are.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

well, what was the rebounding difference and the height difference for Idaho? I think people are minimizing the damage that game has done to this team. Whats more important beating a easy non confrence schedule or winning the confrence? Well we are a long way off from competing for the top of the confrence after our first con home game. Maybe this team needed a slap in the face, because that is what they sure got. If it was on the road and we lost this game the same way, fine it was on the road. But giving up the rebounds to a comparable team at home is not ok. Has NDSU been out rebounding all of their opponents the same margine? I am going to guess no. NDSU wanted it more and they took it. They are no better then us yet our players sure play like they are.

One game Man....time to let it go. I had a hard time letting it go too, but take the "NDSU" and insert "IPFW" or "ORU" and it's really the same thing...a conference home loss that's tough to swallow. I hate losing to this team as much as anyone...but the men are still 7-1 and really, really young.
            I really think TV said it best that for the next 3-4 years NDSU and SDSU are going to beat up on a lot of teams in the Summit. It just hurts that while SDSU is young and on the rise, so is NDSU...just the way it's going to be.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              One game Man....time to let it go. I had a hard time letting it go too, but take the "NDSU" and insert "IPFW" or "ORU" and it's really the same thing...a conference home loss that's tough to swallow. I hate losing to this team as much as anyone...but the men are still 7-1 and really, really young.
              I really think TV said it best that for the next 3-4 years NDSU and SDSU are going to beat up on a lot of teams in the Summit. It just hurts that while SDSU is young and on the rise, so is NDSU...just the way it's going to be.

Go Jacks!!
              Your right, awe shucks, maybe next time by golly.
              My feelings are like Filberts to the stupid dead elephants. There is no reason we should lose to this team but we still do.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Your right, awe shucks, maybe next time by golly.
                My feelings are like Filberts to the stupid dead elephants. There is no reason we should lose to this team but we still do.
                you must have read stu whitneys blog on the argus before you posted here cause a lot of what you said is what stu said in his blog. or could it be that you are......

you would obviously find a reason to discount an 8-0 start too.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  you must have read stu whitneys blog on the argus before you posted here cause a lot of what you said is what stu said in his blog. or could it be that you are......

you would obviously find a reason to discount an 8-0 start too.
                  Never compare me to Stu again. Thems fightin words. And I rarely read anything Stu says.

I think this team has done great. But I dont think this loss should be taken lightly.

Well I went back to read Stus comments and I can not completely disagree with him. Sure 7-1 looks nice, but I am going to hold on to see how we fare come confrence play. I am happy to see the team is doing well and having fun, we are getting good expereince and good performances so far so good. If we have a decent year finish any where from 1-5 in confrence will probably be fine for me, but depends on how we end up where we do. Its not that we lost a confrence home game, its not that we lost a rival game, but its how we lost the game.

Honestly if we want to start making our way towards the top of the confrence, we need to start beating, or at least spilting with NDSU.
                  Last edited by goon; 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X