Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu-gdt-men

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    I realize Dykstra wasn't having a great game...but you gotta put him back in sometime in the last 5 minutes...don't you? Griff sat a very long time also (he did hit his head hard on a charge though). I would consider these two our 'toughest' players, yet they were on the bench in crunchtime?
    Nagy said in the postgame that Griffan missed practice twice this week with an injury to his knee that he suffered in the Nevada game. Nothing serious but something that needs to be taken into account.

Comment

Here is a list of what I was impressed with by SDSU tonight:

1. Nate Wolters.

That is all.

To say the least, I was pretty underwhelmed...6-0 start or not. The place is packed against a rival and...nothing. Fiegen was COMPLETELY ABUSED on the boards. Constantly. Holy crap. He could not have grabbed a rebound if it meant he would have gotten $1 million. Same for Dykstra most of the time. Our rebounding effort was somewhere between a joke and embarrassing. The number of times we gave up wide open looks was amazing. Based on tonight, I would take Wright 100 times out of 100 over Dykstra. I assume we've played better this, because it was a very, very sad showing, one from a team that would be quite fortunate to be .500 in conference play. How in God's name do you shoot 27 percent for a half in your own gym? Color me unimpressed.
      Last edited by JackFan96; 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
        Here is a list of what I was impressed with by SDSU tonight:

1. Nate Wolters.

That is all.
        Just to add, I think that Dale played Tveidt very well tonight. I was impressed. He worked his ass off on D all night. I also thought that Chad White's post D on #25 was also very good. #25 had a size advantage and Chad played him very well.

Other than that...yeah.

There is no amount of hyperbole that can describe Nate's performance, though. He was the best player on the floor and everybody there knew it. I think we ran the high screen and roll with him and Dykstra/Fiegen for at least 10 straight possessions. He would get doubled off of that and STILL make the play. NDSU rotated at least 4 different guys to guard him (might have been 5) and he beat every one of them convincingly. I said this in another thread, but that was the best individual performance that I have ever witnessed in person. Incredible.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Having not been in the area to attend the games, I am reading both GDT threads with interest.
          It appears our guys played very tense and kind of let things happen, while the Bison came out in both games wanting to win and win big time.

Looks like its been a big big day in Bisonville.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Trivia:

Who can place this quote: "Same old sorry-ass Rams!"
            Tim Harris but some say Ken Norton Jr. other people also claim some credit.

Comment

I will grant that Dale's defensive effort was solid. He had to work hard because of how hard Tveidt works. He never stops. Never. Hardest worker on the court, I dare say.

I'm going off of memory here, but another area in which we struggled was in one-and-one situations. In the first half, we made one front end and missed the other two, plus the second shot of the one that was made. In the second half, I think one was a two-shot foul, both of which were made. I believe the front ends of the other two were missed. As far as I'm concerned, that means we were one of 10 in one-and-one attempts. I would describe that as pathetic.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                I realize Dykstra wasn't having a great game...but you gotta put him back in sometime in the last 5 minutes...don't you? Griff sat a very long time also (he did hit his head hard on a charge though). I would consider these two our 'toughest' players, yet they were on the bench in crunchtime?
                I thought the NDSU coach had the right guys out there at the right times we didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  We all were saying this....throw Marcus out there, maybe he can get a body on someone.

That was the most putback made shots I think i've ever seen. They got their hand on EVERY offensive board, even the ones the didn't end up getting. The rebound/putback on the missed free throw was just the worse.

I know it's a tough loss given the opponent, where it was, conference play, etc. But this could be a motivating, good lesson loss for the kids. Bring the energy every game!

Kudo's though to all the folks who went to the game. Nice to see Frost full again. Please come back.
                  I agree that the rebounding effort was 100% the difference. It was just shocking to me though how many times the ball came off the rim just the right way to put one of their guys (usually 32) in position to tip in. Granted they hustled and were in position but it just seemed there were a lot of times we were in position and got a bad bounce.

Wolters was unreal. Reminded me of the game Miller from Northern had in the D2 playoffs back in the day. Just a warrior. 36 point, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 block, and 1 TURNOVER! Are you kidding me? One of the best individual Jack performances ever. With a W would put it on top.

Frustrating loss!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

Fiegen was COMPLETELY ABUSED on the boards. Constantly. Holy crap. He could not have grabbed a rebound if it meant he would have gotten $1 million.
                    He was getting yelled at by Nagy mercilessly pretty much the whole game. If Nagy was yelling at someone, it was Fiegen. He would play well for about 30 seconds to a minute before he would fall back into a string of poor play.

Unbeliveable that SDSU gave up 25 offensive rebounds. Put a body on somebody please. I agree with the others that the Jacks definitely could tried someone else inside, but you never got that feeling that Heemstra or Pederson were going to come in.

Comment

I'm not reaady to hit the panic button like some others seem to.

Yes, this was a frustrating loss. We all wanted the win against our big rival. Maybe too much. The first 6 games we played loose and the effort was there. Everyone contributed.

Last night it was different. Why? Two reasons in my book. First, NDSU played loose. Let's face it, they've obviously owned us for a while now and have really high confidence when they walk on the court to play us no matter where it is. Second, We were tight. We don't have that confidence and it showed. That results in things like lack of efffort on the boards, a little tight shooting, and just looking flat at times. That was the Jacks last night.

Give the Bison credit, they bounced back every time we made a run. These two teams are very similar on paper but we are still learning our way.

A fitting analogy that I heard from someone: You want to win your first championship so bad. Once you win one, you want to win the second one ten times more and you aren't afraid to go get it.

Great crowd last night! Fun to see. This will knock the guys down a bit but I expect them to rebound the next game (pun intended and unintended). They are still a much umproved team but still have a ways to go! This is a marathon not a sprint!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

6-1 Quit your bitchin'. We lost ONE game! One! Not 4, not 7, not 8. 1. I suppose the short bandwagon is already over. Here, let me help throw some people off. I find it funny, had we rolled into Saturday at 0-6 and won it, people would probably say this team is the best thing since sliced bread.

Once again: The other team get's a vote. NDSU is tough. Some people knew that. I know I predicted a 20 point win, did I think that would really happen? Probably not, but I wanted it to. I mostly made that prediction because I really like this team and what they are doing.
                        If this team doesn't impress you....great...watch Duke. I'm pretty happy with it and their style of play.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          6-1 Quit your bitchin'. We lost ONE game! One! Not 4, not 7, not 8. 1. I suppose the short bandwagon is already over. Here, let me help throw some people off. I find it funny, had we rolled into Saturday at 0-6 and won it, people would probably say this team is the best thing since sliced bread.
                          Are you ****ing kidding me? Were you at the game? It wasn't that we lost, it was the way we lost. Out worked and out hustled. People have every right to bitch about that performance. I don't think anyone is off the bandwagon. In fact I haven't seen anyone say anything close to that. I still think this team will be good, but if the rebounding effort continues to be what it was last night, we are going to get our asses kicked by good teams.

Comment

Nate Wolters, ballin'. Everybody else, just watchin'.

I swear to everything every game I go to in person Clint shoots like absolute garbage.

RO, what are you doing up already? Wasn't it your 21st last night?

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                              Nate Wolters, ballin'. Everybody else, just watchin'.

I swear to everything every game I go to in person Clint shoots like absolute garbage.

RO, what are you doing up already? Wasn't it your 21st last night?
                              I always wake up early after I drink. Blessing and a curse - I have way too much homework to do today.

Clint just didn't have it last night. He had some open looks early that just didn't fall and then he started forcing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                It was just shocking to me though how many times the ball came off the rim just the right way to put one of their guys (usually 32) in position to tip in. Granted they hustled and were in position but it just seemed there were a lot of times we were in position and got a bad bounce.
                                You know, at the risk of sounding like an excuse maker or whiner I didn't want to say this. I'm not accusing you of sounding like that either b/c I agree w/ you. But several times throughout the game I said "man, they are just getting every bounce". YES, they deserved the win and yes they fought hard, but man did they seem to get every bounce and we seemed to get the opposite. Oh well...

Comment

Working...
                                X