Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Team

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    I wouldn't waste too much praise on Mangino.....
    He deserves MUCH praise. I had always said, if he looked like Gruden he would've had a much better job than Kansas and five years earlier. The guy is a jerk and a bully, yes. I have heard many stories and had a good friend play for him (actually led the Big XII in rushing while at KU). But there is no denying the turnaround he performed.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      He deserves MUCH praise. I had always said, if he looked like Gruden he would've had a much better job than Kansas and five years earlier. The guy is a jerk and a bully, yes. I have heard many stories and had a good friend play for him (actually led the Big XII in rushing while at KU). But there is no denying the turnaround he performed.
      I beg to differ.

Mangino was an abusive coach who was involved in academic fraud.

That's pretty much where it starts and ends. I don't care how many bowls they got to, because at the end of the day, it's not about what you do, it's about who you are (see also Pete Carroll).

How many Mangino defenders would subject their kids to the abuse that Mangino routinely doled out?

Exactly. Yet they think it's perfectly okay for other people's kids to play for him.

Comment

Its not worth much, but I agree with TJR on this one.

I beg to differ.

That's pretty much where it starts and ends. I don't care how many bowls they got to, because at the end of the day, it's not about what you do, it's about who you are (see also Pete Carroll).
        Tell that to John Calipari. Head coach at U Mass, oh wait Memphis, oh wait Kentucky. And his paycheck keeps getting bigger.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Tell that to John Calipari. Head coach at U Mass, oh wait Memphis, oh wait Kentucky. And his paycheck keeps getting bigger.
          Money is not an adequate measure of character.

Comment

Wow. This is quite the thread drift. The focus has become coaching different sports at various levels. ... Any word on how pre-Canada practices have been going for the Jacks BB team?
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Wow. This is quite the thread drift. The focus has become coaching different sports at various levels. ... Any word on how pre-Canada practices have been going for the Jacks BB team?
              Mike Henrikson saw 15 minutes worth of post defense drills and was impressed.

Comment

I beg to differ.

How many Mangino defenders would subject their kids to the abuse that Mangino routinely doled out?

Exactly. Yet they think it's perfectly okay for other people's kids to play for him.
                That's fine. You didn't sit in a Kansas stadium dominated by Nebraska fans or through 4-7 seasons and 50 point drubbings to rival K-State either. And at the end of the day USC would STILL take Pete Carroll over John Robinson. It's EVERYTHING about what you do. If it were about who you are ppl like Carroll and Pitino and Calipari and Huggins would never work again. This isn't Pop Warner football here.

And please tell me the specific facts w/ Mangino physically abusing players.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Good point.

If TeaJackrabbit wants to start a new thread with a topic of his choosing rather than just hijacking this one, he is certainly welcome to do so. I or another of the moderators would be happy to move the off-topic posts to that thread . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No? No word on how practice is going? Okay then, back to something that actually has people conversing and responding.....

Kind of funny/odd that the last three players who were dismissed for "abusing" their players (Mangino, Leach, Leavitt) were once all coaches on Bill Snyder's staff at K-State.

Interested to hear what KUlawjacks opinion is on Mangino.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Good point.

If TeaJackrabbit wants to start a new thread with a topic of his choosing rather than just hijacking this one, he is certainly welcome to do so. I or another of the moderators would be happy to move the off-topic posts to that thread . . .
                      Hear, hear

Comment

No? No word on how practice is going? Okay then, back to something that actually has people conversing and responding.....

Kind of funny/odd that the last three players who were dismissed for "abusing" their players (Mangino, Leach, Leavitt) were once all coaches on Bill Snyder's staff at K-State.

Interested to hear what KUlawjacks opinion is on Mangino.
                        I thought Filbert was perfectly clear...
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Sorry if I come off as a jerk...I'm really not even upset. But how did I hijack this thread? Am I the only one talking about this? And what is the big deal around here w/ always staying on topic all of the time? If you don't want to read it, don't. Is it horrible that a thread is started talking about one thing and it dies and a few ppl end up discussing another subject? If you want to move it someplace else then by all means do it. Just let me know where it is. But to have a public opinion board and expect people to stay on topic all of the time is silly.

So what do you guys think about favre returning anyway

Comment

I will reserve final judgement on this team until I see them play.

I have never seen Heemestra or Dykstra play, to that extent I haven't really seen White or Carlson play either. Too many unknowns for me.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Sorry if I come off as a jerk...I'm really not even upset. But how did I hijack this thread? Am I the only one talking about this? And what is the big deal around here w/ always staying on topic all of the time? If you don't want to read it, don't.
                              That's the problem with thread drift, some people might not want to read about "subject A", but get sucked into a conversation that intertwines it and "subject B". It makes it harder to not read it when the stuff you want to read is mixed together with the stuff you don't want to read. Hence the threads.

I should point out I agree with you on the AD issue and most other comments you have made.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Since I started this thread, I created a new thread in College Athletics entitled New ADs and Coaches already in Place, or something like that. Filbert, I will take you up on your offer.

Tea, this was not that difficult, you should try it.
                                Last edited by 1stRowFANatic; 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM. Reason: forgot the smiley face Tea, and not sure if this will add it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X