Sargent.
    This. Best or second best on the team.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Re: 2010 Team

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
      Sargent.
      Sarg is probably our best returning player. I just put a group out there who would matchup best in a 4/1. I like the toughness and rebounding of Moss and Grif. But you could put Sarg in there too, no biggee.

How about our best 3pt shooters....
      1. Sarg
      2. White
      3. Grif
      4. Carlson
      5. Aireus

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
        It's quite normal for a new AD/GM to want his own guy at the helm.
        Where's the evidence to support this?

About the only instances where I've seen this happen are where the AD is basically judged by the conduct of ONE program (e.g. Callahan & Pederson @ Nebraska, and likely Rich-Rod & Bill Martin @ Michigan). Other than that, I don't know of many instances where the hiring of an AD has resulted in a house cleaning that wasn't otherwise warranted (e.g. USC).

Comment

You often hear of this at the professional level, but at collegiate level, I think Zoo nailed it on when it occurs.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Where's the evidence to support this?

About the only instances where I've seen this happen are where the AD is basically judged by the conduct of ONE program (e.g. Callahan & Pederson @ Nebraska, and likely Rich-Rod & Bill Martin @ Michigan). Other than that, I don't know of many instances where the hiring of an AD has resulted in a house cleaning that wasn't otherwise warranted (e.g. USC).
            I never said housecleaning. I just know when a new AD is hired some coaches get a lil nervous. It doesn't mean an AD is gonna come in and bounce a Bill Self, but it happens. I know Mark Mangino at Kansas was a lil nervous when Lew Perkins came in from UConn. Mangino stayed b/c he won, but, he went 5-7 last year and was ran outta town.

I'm not saying it happens everywhere, everytime an AD is hired, but it is more common than you think. It's a small sports world.

Comment

Mangino stayed b/c he won, but, he went 5-7 last year and was ran outta town..

So what you are saying that his dismissal really had nothing to do with the AD bringing in "his guys."

It has to do with results.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                So what you are saying that his dismissal really had nothing to do with the AD bringing in "his guys."

It has to do with results.
                It was well known from day one when "Big Lew" walked on campus that he wanted Mangino gone. He couldn't very well fire a guy that put KU football on the map and won a BCS bowl. But the very first year Mangino had a losing record he was gonzo. You think Lew would've done the same to a coach he himself brought in?

Comment

I never said housecleaning. I just know when a new AD is hired some coaches get a lil nervous. It doesn't mean an AD is gonna come in and bounce a Bill Self, but it happens. I know Mark Mangino at Kansas was a lil nervous when Lew Perkins came in from UConn. Mangino stayed b/c he won, but, he went 5-7 last year and was ran outta town.

I'm not saying it happens everywhere, everytime an AD is hired, but it is more common than you think. It's a small sports world.

Do you think the fact that KU football team was put on probation for academic fraud during Coach Mangino's reign and the allegations of abuse by Coach Mangino in the treatment of his student athletes had anything to do with his job termination?

Go State!

Comment

It was well known from day one when "Big Lew" walked on campus that he wanted Mangino gone. He couldn't very well fire a guy that put KU football on the map and won a BCS bowl. But the very first year Mangino had a losing record he was gonzo. You think Lew would've done the same to a coach he himself brought in?
                    I think that if a coach he brought in had the combination of lackluster play and transgressions with players he would. Unless of course he is a complete idiot and doesn't really want to keep his job.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                      Do you think the fact that KU football team was put on probation for academic fraud during Coach Mangino's reign and the allegations of abuse by Coach Mangino in the treatment of his student athletes had anything to do with his job termination?

Go State!
                      Yes, very much yes. Good luck Coach Gill.

Comment

P.S. AD Perkins came to KU in 2003 and Coach Mangino was let go in 2009 after two major issues. Please also note while Coach Mangino was at KU he only had 1 winning season in the Big 12. His teams had a record of 50-48 overall and 23-41 conference in his 8 seasons at Kansas.

Go State!

Comment

P.S. AD Perkins came to KU in 2003 and Coach Mangino was let go in 2009 after two major issues. Please also note while Coach Mangino was at KU he only had 1 winning season in the Big 12. His teams had a record of 50-48 overall and 23-41 conference in his 8 seasons at Kansas.

Go State!
                          Mangino had 3 winning seasons overall (and one season where he was 6-6) and took KU to 4 bowls, winning 3 of them...his 3 bowl wins equalled the 3 KU had won in it's previous 102 years....he was 2007 Natl Coach of the Year....2nd all-time in KU wins....was first KU coach to take team to three bowls in 4 years...second KU coach to take KU to BCS bowl....first coach at KU to have a winning record in 40 years...had them ranked as high as #2....snapped the 38 year losing streak to Nebraska and the 12 year losing streak to K-State and in large part due to him KU was able to raise enough money for a much needed football only facitily and practice fiields much like the Dykhouse so players didn't have to bus accross campus in their uni's for games/practices.

Former UNI (and current Missouri St) coach Terry Allen had run the KU program down so bad many didn't know if it could be saved. Mangino was Natl Asst Coach of the Year at OU before taking to KU job even said shortly after his arrival that if he knew the program was in that bad of shape (facilities, players, support) he would never have taken the job. Not many, if any, coaches, especially non-big name coaches, could've came to KU and did what Mark did. It was darn near a miracle.

Comment

Go State!
                            Absolutely. But you can make the argument that w/ all he had done for KU he deserved another chance. You can also make the argument that if he was Lew Perkins guy to begin with (which he wasn't) that he might have survived.

Comment

Let me ask this question....if you were a coach would you feel more comfortable w/ an AD that hired you or the "new guy"? That's my whole point.

Comment

I wouldn't waste too much praise on Mangino.....

Comment

Working...
                                X