2010 Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Team

Some degree of August silly season creeping into this thread, too, I think . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's got to be the heat. My god, the heat.

Go Jacks
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

No, it's the humidity, because we all know a dry heat is not that hot.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          A very good question. I have my doubts that AD Sells wants to load down his department with cronies from UNI. There are a few guys he can pick who deserve a career move, but I am sure there are some folks that AD Sell has no regrets about leaving behind to rot in good olde Cedar Falls. Beside if we think we can replace Coach
          Nagy with Coach Jacobsen, a ND native, we had better start raising funds to make up the salary differiential. I have my doubts about Nagy being in the hot seat.

This is what he makes if you are talking about raising funds: Beating Kansas pays the bills!

Northern Iowa and Jacobson have agreed to a new 10-year deal that includes a substantial pay raise, athletic director Troy Dannen announced Wednesday.
          The agreement will increase Jacobson's annual salary to $450,000 starting next season, with annual raises of $25,000 throughout the length of a deal that runs through 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
            This is what he makes if you are talking about raising funds: Beating Kansas pays the bills!

Northern Iowa and Jacobson have agreed to a new 10-year deal that includes a substantial pay raise, athletic director Troy Dannen announced Wednesday.
            The agreement will increase Jacobson's annual salary to $450,000 starting next season, with annual raises of $25,000 throughout the length of a deal that runs through 2020.
            Yes this is exactly what I am speaking of.
            There is the UNI situation and hundreds more like it, and that alone gives Coach Nagy job security. We just dont have the funds for big salaries, and for what we are paying Coach Nagy, he is a big big bargin financially for SDSU.

I dont think being one Sells guys, whatever that means will help replace any of our coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              I know a lot that is going on and would never put stuff that is said to me in confidence on this site.
              Not telling others would be the definition of confidentiality.

What would I like to see as an individual who chooses to provide money for scholarships that support both academics and athletics? Continuity and progress towards a defined goal. The development of individuals and the team as they make progress and give their best effort towards reaching those goals. If an individual isn't meeting those expectations then remediation and possibly termination may be necessary. Believe it or not, college is life.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I don't think anyone in their right mind would think Jacobsen would consider leaving UNI for SDSU right now. That's not what I meant when I said Sell might prefer his own guy. He wouldn't be the first AD to want his own selection in the coaches chair.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  He wouldn't be the first AD to want his own selection in the coaches chair.
                  SDSU doesn't have that kind of institutional philosophy. The athletic department at SDSU is not in need of rebuilding. It doesn't need an AD that wants 'his guys' installed.

Therefore, I am certain that if any of that type applied, they were quickly crossed off the list, and I doubt very much that Sell is *that* kind of an AD.

As far as Nagy goes, the Summit is weak enough this year that he shouldn't have any real problems finishing near the top--although the program isn't quite at an ORU/Oakland level.

My concern with Nagy isn't whether or not the players are buying what he's selling, it's whether he can adapt his game plan to the "4 guards and a forward" (more like 2 guards & 3 forwards or 3 guards and 2 forwards) style of play that best suits the talent he can get at this level.

Athletic bigs are a rare commodity, and the SDSU approach to the game can't be a conventional inside out approach with a back to the basket center. That's where I have my concerns about Nagy.

You give Nagy 10 adaptable and disciplined players from 6'4-6'9, and you should be able to guarantee a fighting shot at the NCAAs year in and year out.

Comment

I went and watched practice today for about 15 minutes today while on campus for our Media Day live broadcast.

I know some people can judge the team with out even seeing them, , but I am not one of them.

I know 15 minutes while they worked on post defense for everyone is not a fair way to judge a team, but I will say this: this is the most athletic group of players I have ever seen at SDSU. I have no idea how this will translate to wins or losses, but this team should have some length and versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      SDSU doesn't have that kind of institutional philosophy. The athletic department at SDSU is not in need of rebuilding. It doesn't need an AD that wants 'his guys' installed.

Therefore, I am certain that if any of that type applied, they were quickly crossed off the list, and I doubt very much that Sell is *that* kind of an AD.

As far as Nagy goes, the Summit is weak enough this year that he shouldn't have any real problems finishing near the top--although the program isn't quite at an ORU/Oakland level.

My concern with Nagy isn't whether or not the players are buying what he's selling, it's whether he can adapt his game plan to the "4 guards and a forward" (more like 2 guards & 3 forwards or 3 guards and 2 forwards) style of play that best suits the talent he can get at this level.

Athletic bigs are a rare commodity, and the SDSU approach to the game can't be a conventional inside out approach with a back to the basket center. That's where I have my concerns about Nagy.

You give Nagy 10 adaptable and disciplined players from 6'4-6'9, and you should be able to guarantee a fighting shot at the NCAAs year in and year out.
                      It's quite normal for a new AD/GM to want his own guy at the helm. Doesn't mean they are a bad guy b/c of that. I think it is very fair to question Nagy. Let's be honest, in our move to D1 the only program that hasn't exceeded expectations is men's hoops. Is Nagy in the hotseat if we finish 5+ games under .500 the next two years and see more players leave? I know there are alot of Nagy supporters on here (like me) who won't like this question, but it is fair. For the record, I couldn't be more excited for this upcoming season and for the future. I think Nagy finally has the talent he needs to win at the D1 level.

I agree w/ much of the second half of your post. I remember in alot of games last yr where Nagy did play 4 out 1 in. I think if this year we would have gotten one more big we would've had a solid 4 man inside rotation. Since we didn't we'll have to go 4/1 at times. The good news is we have tall wing players and we defenitely won't be the only Summit team w/ a lack of inside depth.

Comment

F - Dykstra (6'8) or Heemstra (6'9)
                        G - Moss (6'4)
                        G - Callahan (6'4)
                        G - White (6'6)
                        G - Wolters (6'3)

I think this 4/1 lineup could be very effective. Moss and Grif have no problem going inside, mixing it up and fighting for boards and White is long at 6'6.

And no, I'm not relying on Pederson to help out much at all inside.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                          I went and watched practice today for about 15 minutes today while on campus for our Media Day live broadcast.

I know some people can judge the team with out even seeing them, , but I am not one of them.

I know 15 minutes while they worked on post defense for everyone is not a fair way to judge a team, but I will say this: this is the most athletic group of players I have ever seen at SDSU. I have no idea how this will translate to wins or losses, but this team should have some length and versatility.
                          Good to hear! I really can't wait to see this group on the floor. I think the one (and maybe only) area we will not be improved from last year (talent wise at least) is 3-pt shooting. And I don't think that's a bad thing. At times last year I thought we relied to much on jumpers. Let's get to the rack and hopefully (minus AC) continue to shoot FT's well.

Comment

G - Moss (6'4)
                            G - Callahan (6'4)
                            G - White (6'6)
                            G - Wolters (6'3)

I think this 4/1 lineup could be very effective. Moss and Grif have no problem going inside, mixing it up and fighting for boards and White is long at 6'6.

What about 6'7" Fiegen?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              What about 6'7" Fiegen?
                              I was doing a lineup of 1 big and 4 wings. Rather that big be Fiegen or Heemstra or Dykstra. Could be any of em.

Comment

G - Moss (6'4)
                                G - Callahan (6'4)
                                G - White (6'6)
                                G - Wolters (6'3)

Sargent.

Comment

Working...
                                X