Luke Meadows / Northern State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows / Northern State

Coach Meadows is a crucial member of this football team's success. I can't begin to tell you how his mentallity and attitude have rubbed off on the o-line. I will be glad for him if he gets the position, but losing him would be a much larger loss for the jacks than the loss two weeks ago in Montana. We need to keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Even with better pay, does not mean coaches would still not leave. FCS is usually not the level most assistant coaches want to stay at even if its good pay. either they want to be a head coach, and at any level i would consider it a good thing, and moving to bigger FBS programs as an assisant.
      Will be interesting to see how it plays out.. Boomer and Ditka and the guys on ESPN Monday Night Countdown would say if Meadows takes this position "C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        It would be a travesty to lose Coach Meadows.. Pay the guy what he deserves.. First Coach Bailey, now Coach Meadows... Who's next?? Going to Northern would not be considered a dream job.. A step down in my opinion
        Maybe it is Luke's dream job. No one knows what his goals are. Maybe there's less pressure and more security at Northern that he's comfortable with at SDSU.

On the topic of pay, if SDSU can't pay him or any of the other coaches more we can't magically just pay them because they are leaving for another job. One revenue stream that isn't considered is what the assistant coaches make off of summer camps. I know it's probably not much, but in the past I seem to recall Stig dividing the profits from camps among the assistants and pocketing none for himself. Again, probably not much but it supplements what we see in the public records.

If Luke gets the job then good for him. Obviously he's worked himself into position to be considered for DII head jobs, which is no small accomplishment. Personally, I look at the move Eric Eidsness made to Southwest State years ago as a positive move for him and, again, personally, I regard Eric as a better OC than Luke. While some may not see Northern as an ideal job, it is a DII head job, in his home state. He's not getting the SDSU job any time soon so he might as well jump at the opportunity while he's still young.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I don't know if it is as big of deal as some are saying, assistant coaches come and go all the time.... I think it says something about your program when your assistants are finalist for other jobs....

Comment

Originally posted by jack43 View Post
            Coach Meadows is a crucial member of this football team's success. I can't begin to tell you how his mentallity and attitude have rubbed off on the o-line. I will be glad for him if he gets the position, but losing him would be a much larger loss for the jacks than the loss two weeks ago in Montana. We need to keep him.
            This guy knows what he's talking about. Jack43 is also one of my favorite Jackrabbits of all time.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I don't know if it is as big of deal as some are saying, assistant coaches come and go all the time.... I think it says something about your program when your assistants are finalist for other jobs....
              Good programs are made because of the coaching staff and the ability of them to recruit.. Meadows is a heck of an O-Line coach and a very good offensive coordinator. He has also recruited many of the very good football players that we currently have on our roster.. It will be more than a sad day for SDSU football if he is not around next fall..

Comment

It's my opinion that Stig is building this program on solid principles, one of which is hiring quality assistants that fit. I'm confident that he would find an appropriate replacement and we would continue to move on and up. Now if Stig leaves, than that may be different.

It would be interesting to know what the average tenure of assistant coaches is and how many move up/over in other programs. As public as football is, it's not surprising that good coaches are "picked" up. FBS and the NFL have many examples of great assistants in great programs moving up.

Have to imagine that one of Sell's priorities is not only more assistants but raising the pay scale. SDSU and USD will need to distance themselves from rest of the SD public U's.

Comment

Another problem we might come across, we are already short 2 assistant coaches right now. Adding another loss in meadows would be big shoes to fill. Causing 3 openings for assistant coaches if he gets the job. 3 postions we need to hire. we will not be able to compete with out a full staff for long. Adding those coaches can be a very good thing. Depending on how bringing in new coaches is, that can be scary for a program. having opennings and turnover is somewhat good but also scary not knowing what we will get. Any word on those open positions?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Saw the story on KELO TV this evening before I signed on to the message board. He's one of four finalists.

Comment

I wish Luke the best, but would want assurances from NSU that it would give him the support (money) needed to win or turn the program around before heading north.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                        I wish Luke the best, but would want assurances from NSU that it would give him the support (money) needed to win or turn the program around before heading north.
                        NSU is now at the conference scholarship limit of 24 and have mentioned that they will also add atleast 1 more assitant coach then they had last year.

Comment

Nothing new here. Coaches come and go all the time. Reload and get ready to go again. Another coach will come in with connections and maybe a similar or better way of doing things. Meadows deserves his shot and only he knows what's good for him. Coaches going on to bigger and better things means the program is headed in the right direction. As long as Stig is at the wheel, we will be fine.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

If Meadows does get the job, I wish him well as he is a quality guy and he will be missed at SDSU. However, I'm feeling positive today, so I look at any potential replacement to be an oppurtunity to get even better. I can not think of one hire in the last 5-8 years that has been bad for the program. Even coaches that have come and gone from the program have all left a positive mark on the program, more importantly the players, in my opinion. Meadows' primary recruiting responsibility was South Dakota, I believe that we still have people on staff that will be able to evaluate and retain the best talent in SD. Like I said before though, I look at this as an oppurtunity to get even better. I am in no way trying to take anything away from the excellent job Coach Meadows has done, or may even continue to do. The Northern job is not a done deal.

Comment

The team has been aware of this possibility for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure Coach Stig and Justin Sell have a plan in place if Coach Meadows leaves for the NSU head job. I wondered when it would hit this forum.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not saying Northern State is Meadows "dream job". A dream job would be Nebraska or Florida, etc..

It may be his dream to be the head coach and Northern State may provide the opporrtunity to prove himself at that level.

Losing him (or any quality coach) will be tough on the team. It happens a LOT. SDSU has had a fairly stable staff and that is a credit to Stig. It is healthy to see coaches leave for bigger opportunities (bigger schools, or bigger jobs). Other coaches know that if you come to SDSU and put your time in you will be rewarded with opportunities. That attracts quality people. Its a natural progression not unlike any other profession.

If he gets the opportunity, I am happy for him. If he doesn't, I'm glad he will be here. SDSU wins either way.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X