Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about the game: SDSU at Montana

Originally posted by Richard Cranium View Post
    I like how the newbies/wannabies want to talk stats. Stats are for losers! Lets talk wins! Fact: your team got beat by a team we beat like rented mules. You sit by the fire and share all the stats in 20 years with your grandchildren and i will do the same sharing with my grandchildren the National Championships the GRIZ have earned with W's! Let me give you a lil lesson in sports competition, stats are squat, wins are all that matters. It just boils down to this bunny buddies, if you wanna run with the dogs you gotta stop pissin with the pups! Good luck bunny boy, i mean buddy boy!
    If we win on Saturday, I sincerely hope to hear from you on this board.

I'm not your buddy, friend!

I'm not your friend, guy!

I'm not your guy, buddy!
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This is what makes the playoffs great-it puts different teams from different conferences against eachother. You can take all the stats and toss them out of the window-they are meaningless at best. There is no way ANYONE knows what's going to happen until the game starts based on what happened in each conference during the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
        Have we gotten an injury update at all? Anyone missing for either team that will be key?

Word is that Richard Cranium is on the IR* for Montana

*Incomprehensible Reasoning

Comment

Originally posted by MontGriz View Post
          This is what makes the playoffs great-it puts different teams from different conferences against eachother. You can take all the stats and toss them out of the window-they are meaningless at best. There is no way ANYONE knows what's going to happen until the game starts based on what happened in each conference during the regular season.
          Good post.

Comment

It's going to be a good game. The games SDSU lost, turnovers played a major role. It wasn't so much the defense giving up the points. The posters from Montana have not seen SDSU play so they don't know why we are defending exactly how good the defense has played this year. I hope you are under-estimating the SDSU defense and your team is too. I'll agree with some of the SDSU posters who didn't like the way the AD from Montana handles his home-home-away agreements, but this discussion/thread should be just about the game. Hope no one gets injured during the game, nice weather for everyone, and the game is shown on TV (and the Jacks win). Good luck.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
              It's going to be a good game. The games SDSU lost, turnovers played a major role. It wasn't so much the defense giving up the points. The posters from Montana have not seen SDSU play so they don't know why we are defending exactly how good the defense has played this year. I hope you are under-estimating the SDSU defense and your team is too. I'll agree with some of the SDSU posters who didn't like the way the AD from Montana handles his home-home-away agreements, but this discussion/thread should be just about the game. Hope no one gets injured during the game, nice weather for everyone, and the game is shown on TV (and the Jacks win). Good luck.
              first congrats on making the playoffs over that "other" dakota school! also please understand i had NOTHING to do with that "2-home - home" thing. i like many griz-rabbit fans that did not like what happened,now on to this year! i have watched your team twice this year(uni,siu). your team is boring to watch(thats a good thing),they play basic solid football. they play within themself and don't try to be something they are not. sdsu does not like to beat themself.siu was prepaired for your game plan(they seems to be one step ahead of sdsu that day). i look at your team and see "montana" in blue and gold. good luck this weekend and anybody traveling please be safe, just make it to the game and BACK home safely. again good luck and safe travels!

Comment

The 2009 Jackrabbit football team features the best defensive unit in the history of the university. We have an outstanding running back. For SDSU to win on Saturday, our quarterback must be effective throwing the ball in order to open up the running game. Our defense will keep us in the game. We must establish some type of passing game or it will be a long day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                  The 2009 Jackrabbit football team features the best defensive unit in the history of the university. We have an outstanding running back. For SDSU to win on Saturday, our quarterback must be effective throwing the ball in order to open up the running game. Our defense will keep us in the game. We must establish some type of passing game or it will be a long day.
                  I believe this to be a true statement, to beat the Griz, you must do it through the air.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

An even more interesting statistic? Subtract the points off turnovers: e.g. U of M: 9 points allowed, 7 points off turnovers = net total of (-2) points for SDSU defense. U of M allows 6 points, scores seven, comes out ahead (1) for the difference in final score.
                    How is this an interesting statistic? All you show is that the Pick 6 for each team canceled each other out.

16-13 = 3 difference in final score
                    (9-7) - (6-7) = 2 - -1 = 3 subtract points allowed and points on turnovers
                    but really this is just 9-6 = 3. Good stuff.

Comment

What kind of speed do the ends have on the the defensive side of the ball for the Grizz? It seems that this Jacks are stuck on throwing the quick out/swing pass this season. I am thinking that we are going to have to thrown the ball more vertical to win.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by A Griz 4ster View Post
                        How big are your Defensive front 7 guys? What defensive scheme are you usually looking at? 4-3?
                        Well our DT's (Bazata, Basham, and Fischer) go 285 265 255. One of our starters (Fischer) didn't play last week, but will hopefully be ready come Saturday. This area has been semi-inconsistent this year, but at other times has been dominate.

Our DE's are outstanding Steffen and Battan. Both have an array of moves but use their pure speed and heart in obvious passing situations. Battan may become the Jacks highest drafted player in a number of years. We have a solid back-up in Thompson They run 245 and 250. I think these two along with Domino are our best Defensive players.

The linebackers are the backbone of this defense. Rogers, Johnson, and Domino have all made their share of big plays. Rogers and Domino can run with the best of them and Domino has a knack for making the big play. Johnson is solid. You don't here his name alot, but he sure does his job. Jackson is our top backup and I think he would start for most programs. This is a fun group to watch and they really raised some hell against Minn.

Our secondary has jelled well in the past couple of weeks. Brodie is solid and is usually matched with the teams #1 receiver. Mathews has been okay since coming in to replace, imho, our best CB Parnell. Our best player in the backend is Kjerstad. He is always around the ball and he is not afraid to hit. Plays with a lot of emotion. Our other safety is split between two players Wise and Jeske. Wise brings more athleticism to the fold, but Jeske seems to have better instincts and can be found around the line of scrimmage more often.

I hope this answers your questions and hopefully the other Jacks can add to it as they see fit. Go Jacks!
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Hey Jacks, first post here so bear with me. First off, congrats on making the playoffs. I think you'll find that the energy and atmosphere is unlike anything you can possibly simulate during the regular season. I've read most of the posts on this thread and, in my opinion, comparing statistical data between these two teams is a little bit like comparing apples and oranges. We play in two very different conferences that have completely different identities. The Big Sky has some of the best QBs in the country and teams love to sling the ball all over the field. So, comparing historical defensive stats in this one will be difficult. I will say that the wildcard here that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the penalties. The Griz are real good at committing some pretty stupid penalties (i.e. 100+ yards in the first half alone last week), but are even better at overcoming those setbacks...so, we'll see.

Having played at UM, I'm a huge X's and O's guy and I believe the team that wins Saturday will have a better (executed) game plan and fewer turnovers. The Griz' M.O. this season has been to run the ball early and often...if it works, keep running, if it doesn't, keep doing it until it works. Our front five on the O-line are HUGE, but it usually takes them until the 2nd half to start wearing teams down. When this happens, teams usually bring another guy into the box and that's when Mariani usually makes a DB or two look like a high schooler.

The game will be fun. I travel from Seattle to Missoula for every home game and I hope a lot of SDSU fans will be making the trip up. I promise to buy any Jacks fan a beer that stops at our tailgate and strikes up a good-spirited conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by HumbleGriz View Post
                            I promise to buy any Jacks fan a beer that stops at our tailgate and strikes up a good-spirited conversation.
                            You have to buy each beer in your tailgate area? :-) j/k
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                              You have to buy each beer in your tailgate area? :-) j/k

Fair question. Since I end up buying most of the beer for our group's tailgate (I have a bunch of free-loaders for friends)...the answer to your question would be "YES"

Comment

Originally posted by HumbleGriz View Post
                                Hey Jacks, first post here so bear with me. First off, congrats on making the playoffs. I think you'll find that the energy and atmosphere is unlike anything you can possibly simulate during the regular season. I've read most of the posts on this thread and, in my opinion, comparing statistical data between these two teams is a little bit like comparing apples and oranges. We play in two very different conferences that have completely different identities. The Big Sky has some of the best QBs in the country and teams love to sling the ball all over the field. So, comparing historical defensive stats in this one will be difficult. I will say that the wildcard here that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the penalties. The Griz are real good at committing some pretty stupid penalties (i.e. 100+ yards in the first half alone last week), but are even better at overcoming those setbacks...so, we'll see.

Having played at UM, I'm a huge X's and O's guy and I believe the team that wins Saturday will have a better (executed) game plan and fewer turnovers. The Griz' M.O. this season has been to run the ball early and often...if it works, keep running, if it doesn't, keep doing it until it works. Our front five on the O-line are HUGE, but it usually takes them until the 2nd half to start wearing teams down. When this happens, teams usually bring another guy into the box and that's when Mariani usually makes a DB or two look like a high schooler.

The game will be fun. I travel from Seattle to Missoula for every home game and I hope a lot of SDSU fans will be making the trip up. I promise to buy any Jacks fan a beer that stops at our tailgate and strikes up a good-spirited conversation.
                                Thanks for the info. SDSU is infrequently penalized. Something like 37 yards a game or something is all we average for penalty yards. That is one of the strengths of our team - executing and playing disciplined, smart football. Also, we have faced some large offensive lines this year, including UNI and Minnesota (who was incredibly huge). Our, O-line isn't too small itself either. The strength of the defense, IMO, is the front seven so that seems like it will be a good matchup with your large offensive line.

Personally I think the teams match up fairly well as far as playing style. I personally like our chances against a team that wants to run the football and use play action, as long as they don't have a mobile QB, which I understand Montana does not have, thank God. Montana fans probably feel the same way, liking their chances with a strong run defense against us. I am excited for the game - can hardly keep my head in the books.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X