Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about the game: SDSU at Montana

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Not sure where you got the points allowed. But, for statistical purposes, I'm pretty sure scoring defense excludes points allowed by the offense on turnovers. Not at all sure about returns for TD's, though.
    According the NCAA http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...div=IAA&dest=O we have allowed 13.45 pts per game for scoring defense, which if taken by 11 is the total number of points (148), that we have given up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      According the NCAA http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...div=IAA&dest=O we have allowed 13.45 pts per game for scoring defense, which if taken by 11 is the total number of points (148), that we have given up this season.
      Weird.

An even more interesting statistic? Subtract the points off turnovers: e.g. U of M: 9 points allowed, 7 points off turnovers = net total of (-2) points for SDSU defense. U of M allows 6 points, scores seven, comes out ahead (1) for the difference in final score.

I get 113 points allowed by the SDSU defense (holding only fumble recoveries & int. returns for TD against the offense) (1 TD Ill. State, 2 TD vs. Cal Poly, 1 TD vs. SIU, 1 TD vs. Minn.)

Subtract 14 points scored by the defense: 99pts.

Net points allowed by defense over 11 games: 9pts.

Subtract 27 pts allowed vs. SIU, divide by 10: 7.2pts per game.

IMO if the defense plays the way it's played ten games of this season, it's not going to be a shootout.

If the defense plays the way they did at SIU, it's all over.

Comment

Weird.

An even more interesting statistic? Subtract the points off turnovers: e.g. U of M: 9 points allowed, 7 points off turnovers = net total of (-2) points for SDSU defense. U of M allows 6 points, scores seven, comes out ahead (1) for the difference in final score.

I get 113 points allowed by the SDSU defense (holding only fumble recoveries & int. returns for TD against the offense) (1 TD Ill. State, 2 TD vs. Cal Poly, 1 TD vs. SIU, 1 TD vs. Minn.)

Subtract 14 points scored by the defense: 99pts.

Net points allowed by defense over 11 games: 9pts.

Subtract 27 pts allowed vs. SIU, divide by 10: 7.2pts per game.

IMO if the defense plays the way it's played ten games of this season, it's not going to be a shootout.

If the defense plays the way they did at SIU, it's all over.
        I know the coaches try to have balance on the offense, but there is no reason Kyle Minett should have anything less than 30 carries this week. He doesn't fumble and doesn't lose yards. Put it all on the offensive line and the defense. Play a field position game and just let the defense win it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          I know the coaches try to have balance on the offense, but there is no reason Kyle Minett should have anything less than 30 carries this week. He doesn't fumble and doesn't lose yards. Put it all on the offensive line and the defense. Play a field position game and just let the defense win it for you.
          One of the reasons for resting Minnett is to have an advantage in the 4th quarter. The thinking is you don't sacrifice as much as you gain.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizFanStuckInUtah View Post
            One other thing I don't see mentioned is special teams. The Griz have been pretty dang good on special teams all year. I know Mariani is part of it, but not the whole thing. We have covered some pretty good returners, like Toone from Weber State. The kick returners the Griz have a pretty good too and we always seem to get points (as long as the laundry is off the field!) on special teams.

How have the Jacks been on special teams? It's hard to get all the stats and a feel for any team from just looking at numbers.
            The Gophers kicked a pathetic 30 yard squib kick against us with 4 minutes to go in the game after they went up 3, that's how good it was that day. Unfortuately we didn't score on it.

The return game on both punts and kickoffs has been above average, even though there hasn't been a TD off a return...yet.

Coverage has been pretty good, but seeing Mariani's numbers, I still wouldn't punt to him.

Punt/punt team is average.

I cringe when the field goal team comes out, regardless the length. The percentages for both kickers (yes both kickers, can't seem to decide on one) are decent. But they've both missed kicks that make you want to pull your hair out.

Just looking at the Grizz stats, I would say special teams are pretty even with Mariani giving the Grizz an edge.

Comment

Have we gotten an injury update at all? Anyone missing for either team that will be key?

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                When people make these types of statements, I always wonder how to quantify, so I looked to statistics since its the only way I really can do it. What I found didn't shock me in the slightest. SDSU has a much better defense than Montana State.

Rushing Defense - Montana State 7th; Montana 8th; SDSU 23rd

Pass Efficiency Defense - SDSU 1st; Monana 47th; Montana State 82nd

Scoring Defense (the one that counts the most IMO) - SDSU 5th; Montana 19th; Montana State 51st

Total Defense - SDSU 16th; Montana 58th; Montana State 61st

Turnover Margin - Montana 20th; SDSU 30th; Montana State 86th.

The last statistic is obviously a tie to both sides of the ball. This little inquiry demonstrates that SDSU's defense is statistically better than both Montana and Montana State. That's all I have. It should be a great game on Saturday.
                Look all you want at the stats. I guess i look at the common foe and you got beat by a team we beat like rented mules! You can OWN ALL THE STATS. The GRIZ will take the W's! Then when the season ends for your team you can share the stats 20 years from now with your Grandchildren. Us Griz fans will share the JOY of being National CHAMPS with our Grandchildren. If you wanna run with the dogs you gotta quit pissin like the pups, bunny boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Cranium View Post
                  Us Griz fans will share the JOY of being National CHAMPS with our Grandchildren.
                  http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...648#post136648

Comment

I'd like to respond to Medulla Oblongata but this is such an informative thread ... and quite civil ... I like it!

Comment

Look all you want at the stats. I guess i look at the common foe and you got beat by a team we beat like rented mules! You can OWN ALL THE STATS. The GRIZ will take the W's! Then when the season ends for your team you can share the stats 20 years from now with your Grandchildren. Us Griz fans will share the JOY of being National CHAMPS with our Grandchildren. If you wanna run with the dogs you gotta quit pissin like the pups, bunny boy!
                      Dude, you said that Montana State's defense was better than ours. I did some research about that. It had nothing to do with you at first, but I included you in the stats just for your pleasure and reference. You should probably thank me for fact-checking your post and pointing out your error so you don't go around spouting inaccuracies that make you look like a fool. But obviously your last post cleared up any question about your level of sincerity in wanting to discuss the game with facts and such and demonstrated your ability, or lack thereof, to comprehend.

If you want to use comparative scoring be my guest, but you might want to look into the circumstances surrounding the game in that case. Statistics stand on their own over the course of the season. Comparative scoring doesn't work that way.

EDIT: Sorry Cowbell, I tried to keep it as civil as possible.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Dude, you said that Montana State's defense was better than ours. I did some research about that. It had nothing to do with you at first, but I included you in the stats just for your pleasure and reference. You should probably thank me for fact-checking your post and pointing out your error so you don't go around spouting inaccuracies that make you look like a fool. But obviously your last post cleared up any question about your level of sincerity in wanting to discuss the game with facts and such and demonstrated your ability, or lack thereof, to comprehend.

If you want to use comparative scoring be my guest, but you might want to look into the circumstances surrounding the game in that case. Statistics stand on their own over the course of the season. Comparative scoring doesn't work that way.

EDIT: Sorry Cowbell, I tried to keep it as civil as possible.

Don't worry, he doesn't mind looking like a fool. He makes a living doing it on our board.

Comment

I like how the newbies/wannabies want to talk stats. Stats are for losers! Lets talk wins! Fact: your team got beat by a team we beat like rented mules. You sit by the fire and share all the stats in 20 years with your grandchildren and i will do the same sharing with my grandchildren the National Championships the GRIZ have earned with W's! Let me give you a lil lesson in sports competition, stats are squat, wins are all that matters. It just boils down to this bunny buddies, if you wanna run with the dogs you gotta stop pissin with the pups! Good luck bunny boy, i mean buddy boy!

Comment

I like how the newbies/wannabies want to talk stats. Stats are for losers! Lets talk wins! Fact: your team got beat by a team we beat like rented mules. You sit by the fire and share all the stats in 20 years with your grandchildren and i will do the same sharing with my grandchildren the National Championships the GRIZ have earned with W's! Let me give you a lil lesson in sports competition, stats are squat, wins are all that matters. It just boils down to this bunny buddies, if you wanna run with the dogs you gotta stop pissin with the pups! Good luck bunny boy, i mean buddy boy!
                            Mertens in '09, Mohler '10-'12. No problem guys.

Comment

Mertens in '09, Mohler '10-'12. No problem guys.
                              Unbelievable how much that seems to fit him isn't it?
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Unbelievable how much that seems to fit him isn't it?
                                Into each life a little lakes must fall......

Comment

Working...
                                X