USD at SDSU in 2011?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD at SDSU in 2011?

My daughter is 12 and already knows which school is the one we root against, regardless of if and when we play them. I think this rivalry is passed down by parents to their children to some extent.

Comment

I think playing USD at some point in the future is not a bad idea, but I don't know that it is a good idea this soon. I just don't see a strong upside right now. With USD still in transition and lacking success SDSU playing them is too much like UofM playinng SDSU. If you win big you met expectation, if you do not or lose you fail.

In terms of boosting attendance, with SDSU winning, any game early in the season will bring in fans. Look at attendance figures for the SDSU/Indiana St game. SDSU could schedule a less risky Augie or Northern and get similar attendance.

In late season, poor weather, situations an SDSU/USD game still won't bring in crowds short of a play off situation. Cold weather inhibits all but the strongest fans. Of course, if USD starts winning 7, 8 games a season like SDSU is doing, then I think you will get a crowd in any weather short of sub-zero or snow storm.

My point here is that SDSU should begin playing USD when USD becomes more established in FCS. Then they will draw in late season. Until then, better to schedule a local cream puff like Augie or NSU early and draw a crowd that way.
      Last edited by Prairiehaas; 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM. Reason: speelling error
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        SDSU could schedule a less risky Augie or Northern and get similar attendance.
        Can't count the W.

Comment

Not completely up on the transition rules. Will USD count in 2011?
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Not completely up on the transition rules. Will USD count in 2011?
            Yes. They'll have their scholarship numbers maxed next year (have to in order to play Minnesota).

Comment

Changes the arguement a bit. Still think State would be better off waiting until USD was more competitive on the field. Perhaps they will be by then.

I would prefer to see them resume the series as equals and not pick it up as it was in '03 when it ended.

Comment

Changes the arguement a bit. Still think State would be better off waiting until USD was more competitive on the field. Perhaps they will be by then.

I would prefer to see them resume the series as equals and not pick it up as it was in '03 when it ended.
                UNI played USD & St. Francis as their non-conf games this year.

Basically, USD was their 'tough' non-conf game.

No point in trying to fight uphill against that, IMO.

Comment

Understand the logic of padding the schedule with a St. Francis or Drake or Valpo to help playoff probability but, don't like it. I think a team is stronger when it plays up.

As a fan, the '08 Hobo Day game was difficult to take and most likely kept State out of the playoffs. I do think that it was good for the program long term in that it helped build confidence that the team could compete against good programs outside the conference. Those games also give the program a name in FCS away from our region. And perhaps help a bit with recruiting outside the Northern Plains.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Understand the logic of padding the schedule with a St. Francis or Drake or Valpo to help playoff probability but, don't like it. I think a team is stronger when it plays up.
                    Understood, but the Valley is the FCS equivalent of the Big Ten; you don't need to 'play up' in the non-conf.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Understood, but the Valley is the FCS equivalent of the Big Ten; you don't need to 'play up' in the non-conf.
                      You are probably right, but playing a solid team from a different part of the country does not hurt us in preparation for the play-offs, just so we don't lose too much like last year when McNese and Cal Poly beat us. Playing programs like Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, McNese and Delaware give our players a feel what other play-off teams from around the country are like.

Long term I think a schedule that looks like this would be beneficial.

@FBS
                      vs. or @ FCS (Solid Scholarship Program, SLC, SoCon, BSC, GWFC, CAA, MEAC, etc.)
                      vs. or @ USD (this game should be home when we play NDSU and UNI on the road and on the road when we play them at home. This game should also alternate with the other FCS non-conference game, so we have 5 home games every season. I am absolutely against this game in Sioux Falls.)
                      vs. 4 MVC
                      @ 4 MVC

I like the Jacks playing a challenging schedule. I think 8-3 versus the schedule we played this year is better than a 9-2 record against UNI or SIU's schedule because it better prepares us to beat top FCS teams come play-off time.
                      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I will agree with this in terms of getting into the playoffs. Winning in the MVFC carries weight with playoff selectiion committee.

I will counter though that playing up in OOC builds a stronger program and a stronger conference. I don't know that State has gotten elite FCS status yet. It is though within sight.

I think we can meet both goals by scheduling FBS, stronng OOC FCS and weak OOC FCS. I don't think it is healthy to make USD the weak OOC game. Hopefully USD fixes that for us as it appears playing the Coyotes is going to happen soon.

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                          I think 8-3 versus the schedule we played this year is better than a 9-2 record against UNI or SIU's schedule because it better prepares us to beat top FCS teams come play-off time.
                          It would be nice if the selection committee also saw it that way, but I doubt that they will.

Agree generally with what you've got, except I would like to see FCS on a permanent 12 game schedule (like FBS, IIRC).

Comment

Agree generally with what you've got, except I would like to see FCS on a permanent 12 game schedule (like FBS, IIRC).
                            What, and eliminate the week 1 bye?

Comment

It would be nice if the selection committee also saw it that way, but I doubt that they will.

That can't happen due to the play-offs expand to 20 teams. They will eliminate the bye next season.
                              Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Until we can prove we can be 8-3 consistently by "playing up", I'd rather have a playoff team of 8-3 than a seasoned 7-4 team sitting at home.

The MVC + FBS game is more than enough competition to keep this team sharp.

Comment

Working...
                                X