USD at SDSU in 2011?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD at SDSU in 2011?

Just speculating here, but the stars seem to be aligning on this one. We canceled Delaware's return trip to Brookings for 2011. Then Coach Meierkort was on the Argus Sports Web yesterday talking about resuming the rivalry sooner than people expect.

Seems like 2011 would be the date. I'm guessing it would be a two for none in Brookings to start with negotiations after that, once USD leaves transition.

My only concern is fan behavior. It's going to take some real education efforts to try to cut down on the ugliness, but it's do-able.

Interesting. I'm guessing these negotiations are going on now. And I repeat: I'm guessing here. I have no inside information. Just putting two and two together. I could be entirely wrong about it.

Personally, I would enjoy adding another rivalry game. And while rivalry games are tough, certainly starting something that reduces the travel for both teams in the long run is a good thing. We can't afford to pay Wagner or CCSU or Austin Peay to come here (like some programs do). So this is a good way to get a solid, winnable home game that will draw a good number of fans to CAS.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: USD at SDSU in 2011?

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Just speculating here, but the stars seem to be aligning on this one. We canceled Delaware's return trip to Brookings for 2011. Then Coach Meierkort was on the Argus Sports Web yesterday talking about resuming the rivalry sooner than people expect.

Seems like 2011 would be the date. I'm guessing it would be a two for none in Brookings to start with negotiations after that, once USD leaves transition.

My only concern is fan behavior. It's going to take some real education efforts to try to cut down on the ugliness, but it's do-able.

Interesting. I'm guessing these negotiations are going on now. And I repeat: I'm guessing here. I have no inside information. Just putting two and two together. I could be entirely wrong about it.

Personally, I would enjoy adding another rivalry game. And while rivalry games are tough, certainly starting something that reduces the travel for both teams in the long run is a good thing. We can't afford to pay Wagner or CCSU or Austin Peay to come here (like some programs do). So this is a good way to get a solid, winnable home game that will draw a good number of fans to CAS.
    Good arguments to play the game but I still vote "NO".

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
      Good arguments to play the game but I still vote "NO".
      I second that vote... I'd prefer they start winning some games before we play them again. As it stands, we have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing this game.

Comment

IMHO, I wouldn't mind getting UND in either.

Comment

I think renewing the regional rivalries is important and it is going to be a necessary next step. It should not be at the expense of continuing a relationship with other well-established FCS programs from respected conferences. Fan behavior can be controlled and in the end games against USD and UND will be in the best interest of the local and regional population, my own feelings aside.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The fan behavior issue is probably more relevant to basketball than football. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the prospect of SDSU and USD playing football in 2011. Getting the game scheduled will be a much bigger psychological step for Coyote-Land than Jackrabbit Nation. Getting to play the Jacks seems to have been the Yoties primary goal the past couple of years. The two teams are bound to play again eventually.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

To be fair to the students, the folks that caused all the trouble before during the rivalry are mostly gone. By 2011 the majority of the students will only know of the old days by us talking about it. NDSU is the main rival right now to the student body.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
                I second that vote... I'd prefer they start winning some games before we play them again. As it stands, we have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing this game.
                I don't think we can really use that line anymore. I believe Meierkort said they are 11-17 against FCS teams. Not a great record, but not horrible for transition.

I have resigned myself to the fact that economics is going to make this happen, and that the economics of it make it the best thing for the program. So since it will happen, lets make the best of it: Take their fans money and beat them on the field.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Personally, I'm not for the renewal before we are forced to play but if USD is willing to do a two for none scenario it may be too much for SDSU to pass up. It should draw 16,000+ fans of which 4,000 SDSU students would be a decent guess. 12,000 paying fans at $15 each that is $180,000 for each home game. $360,000 for the two games less expensives and guarantees would be tough to pass up.

Obviously, we aren't forced to play USD until the join the MVC but would guess they will try and get in there ASAP and would be a decent addition.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    The fan behavior issue is probably more relevant to basketball than football. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the prospect of SDSU and USD playing football in 2011. Getting the game scheduled will be a much bigger psychological step for Coyote-Land than Jackrabbit Nation. Getting to play the Jacks seems to have been the Yoties primary goal the past couple of years. The two teams are bound to play again eventually.
                    I would disagree with you on the behavior and crowd control standpoint simply from the standpoint that alcohol is a much bigger factor at the football games. Once in CAS and Frost things can be controlled better but the tailgate lot would be where any problems could arise.

The idea that we should move past all that with the break in the rivalry is something that I share.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      Personally, I'm not for the renewal before we are forced to play but if USD is willing to do a two for none scenario it may be too much for SDSU to pass up. It should draw 16,000+ fans of which 4,000 SDSU students would be a decent guess. 12,000 paying fans at $15 each that is $180,000 for each home game. $360,000 for the two games less expensives and guarantees would be tough to pass up.

Obviously, we aren't forced to play USD until the join the MVC but would guess they will try and get in there ASAP and would be a decent addition.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      I think you are on to something here SB. However, I think the ticket prices will be higher for this game, just like they are for NDSU, therefore we can add a little more money to the coffers.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It would be really interesting to see what the market would bear for ticket prices for such a game. How much would people in SD be willing to pay to get in the gates for the first Jacks-Yotes game in a long time? $20? $25? $30? More? It would be awfully nice if the athletic department could have a big payday if and when the Yotes come to town.

Comment

2011 gate would be pretty impressive with home games against USD & NDSU, but those games need to be in alternating years.

Also need a traveling trophy. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            2011 gate would be pretty impressive with home games against USD & NDSU, but those games need to be in alternating years.

Also need a traveling trophy. Any ideas?
                            How about a pheasant.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
                              How about a pheasant.
                              Seems kind of cliche. Plus it's a very pointy bird. Nothing like a traveling trophy that could put out two or three eyes at once.....

Comment

Working...
                              X