Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    What I'm looking for is the Jacks to take care of the ball and not make critical mistakes. Special teams are a huge part of the game and we need to win that battle. If we don't do that a loss is probably a forgone conclusion.
    This could be a huge part of the game. Special teams has been one of the Gophers' strengths (possibly their only strength) for much of the season. Last week, however, a very poor punt and three kicks out of bounds (once on an onside) really hurt them. The Gophers KR, Troy Stoudermire, has come very close to breaking one many times this year and has given the Gophers very good field position.

The playbook needs to be opened up a bit more or it could be ugly. If they are aggressive with play calling and protect the ball you just never know.
    What has gotten the Gophers defense in trouble is not so much trickery or unusual offenses, but more so offenses that are able to continue to get yardage, even if it is just 3-4 yards per play. Their defense is the "bend but don't break" type, where they do not give up a lot of big plays, but often find themselves in third and short and can't make the stop. They also seem to have one major blown coverage each game where a receiver is left wide open by 10-15 yards. The SDSU offense could cause problems because it seems like they fit this mold well-not a lot of big plays but a steady, ball-control offense.

Comment

I'm hoping for a win, and that the check clears

Comment

UPSET? Really? Is is really an upset if we win by a couple of points. I think upset is all too often over used. The game includes a inconsistent FBS team and solid consistent and highly ranked FCS team. Is it really that much of an upset? What if it was at a neutral site? Just stirring the pot a little
        Last edited by Jackfan2000; 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM. Reason: mis type

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
          UPSET? Really? Is is really an upset if we win by a couple of points. I think upset is all too often over used. The game includes a inconsistent FBS team and solid consistent and highly ranked FCS team. Is it really that much of an upset? What if it was at a neutral site? Just stirring the pot a little
          They play in a BCS conference. We are a very good FCS team. This would be an upset. The Gophers have advantages in money, fan support, scholarship numbers, etc. If a a lower division team beats a mediocre team from an upper division it is still an upset.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by BCJacks View Post
            This could be a huge part of the game. Special teams has been one of the Gophers' strengths (possibly their only strength) for much of the season. Last week, however, a very poor punt and three kicks out of bounds (once on an onside) really hurt them. The Gophers KR, Troy Stoudermire, has come very close to breaking one many times this year and has given the Gophers very good field position.

What has gotten the Gophers defense in trouble is not so much trickery or unusual offenses, but more so offenses that are able to continue to get yardage, even if it is just 3-4 yards per play. Their defense is the "bend but don't break" type, where they do not give up a lot of big plays, but often find themselves in third and short and can't make the stop. They also seem to have one major blown coverage each game where a receiver is left wide open by 10-15 yards. The SDSU offense could cause problems because it seems like they fit this mold well-not a lot of big plays but a steady, ball-control offense.
            Pretty good analysis--you must watch Gopher games.

I would concur with this. I think Gophers special teams will rebound this week as well. Stoudermire is an electric player--who knows when it will all come together on a return. Gophers have blocked a FG and a Punt for a TD this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
              Interesting point. I think the general reason its considered an upset is a red herring for talent disparity. Fair or not, thats what people judge.

I am not sure if anyone for the Jacks would crack the two-deeps for the Gophers (although I might take 1 or 5 of your O-line). Thats not meant to be offensive to any of you fine fans--just a reality. I dont think any Gophers would crack the Florida Gator's two deep either (our long snapper?!).

Frustratingly, we have a WR who had a Florida offer and chose us, and has done nothing

Like I posted elsewhere though, "rosters" alone dont win games, its about execution/making plays.

The upset theme comes from I guess the idea that if both teams played to their potential, it would not be a very close game because of the athletes the Gophers have.

We shall see how both teams show up--both had poor efforts last week.

Whatever the outcome I do hope its injury free, great weather, and that the Jacks fans have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
                Interesting point. I think the general reason its considered an upset is a red herring for talent disparity. Fair or not, thats what people judge.

I am not sure if anyone for the Jacks would crack the two-deeps for the Gophers (although I might take 1 or 5 of your O-line). Thats not meant to be offensive to any of you fine fans--just a reality. I dont think any Gophers would crack the Florida Gator's two deep either (our long snapper?!).

Frustratingly, we have a WR who had a Florida offer and chose us, and has done nothing

Like I posted elsewhere though, "rosters" alone dont win games, its about execution/making plays.

The upset theme comes from I guess the idea that if both teams played to their potential, it would not be a very close game because of the athletes the Gophers have.

We shall see how both teams show up--both had poor efforts last week.

Whatever the outcome I do hope its injury free, great weather, and that the Jacks fans have a great time.
                to kind of go off of this... I think this game will be more of a eye test game then a box score game.... because I've seen Minnesota play pretty good this year and I've seen them play awful

Comment

solid points- I like em and their true

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    They play in a BCS conference. We are a very good FCS team. This would be an upset. The Gophers have advantages in money, fan support, scholarship numbers, etc. If a a lower division team beats a mediocre team from an upper division it is still an upset.
                    I think SDSU would be favored if playing a low or mid team from the MAC or WAC, which are still FBS.

You are correct that all FBS leagues are not the same. There are maybe 130 FBS teams, maybe 60 BCS teams, maybe 30 BCS teams with better records than the Gophers right now.

Comment

Let's look at this upset thing in a different way (I like the way we're talking about a Jacks win). On paper, man to man this may not be a lopsided game.

If the Gophers win they move into bowl eligibility but it won't be anything special in the eyes of the Gopher fans. If they lose, it will be like a bigger version of Bisonville and almost certainly the end of the Brewster era. He's on thin ice already.

Also, in the Sagarin ratings SDSU is currently ahead of Illinois and Indiana. If they came into Minnesota and won (Illinois did last week) it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If we win it would be a disgrace to the Gophers.

Again, I'm in for a win!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The only goal is to win. A tough loss would not be a moral victory.

Comment

If they lose, it will be like a bigger version of Bisonville and almost certainly the end of the Brewster era. He's on thin ice already.
                          ?????

Comment

On paper, man to man this may not be a lopsided game.
                            Isn't it the opposite? On paper, man to man it should be lopsided. If SDSU executes better as a team they have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
                              ?????
                              Bisonville is the discussion board for the NDSU Bison, where they routinely go on suicide watch after losses and call for the firing of everyone except the waterboy when they lose to us... which has happened three straight times now.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Gophers win this game 9 out of 10 times.
                                SDSU isnt the 2007 bison, and 2009 gophers are head and shoulders above the 2007 gophers.thats my observation from a neutral fan with no dog in this fight.

Comment

Working...
                                X