Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    John Taylor? He was one of my favorite profs at SDSU.
    Yep. Dr. Gambill recommended him for Jr Comp, and I was hooked. Took a class from him every semester until I graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      My son is taking Prof. Taylor's Sci Fi Lit class. Calls him a trip.
      I took that class...... It was a blast. I'm glad to know Dr. Taylor's still teaching it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        if you don't have a strong arm you have to have good footwork.... you have to have a quick drop, and get your legs under your throw.... also you can't be telegraphing your throws with or without a strong arm and Crawford did that....
        O'Brien was telgraphing also. I could see him stare down receivers from section R.

The rush pressure pushed both to concentrate on outs rathers than down field. And, my point still stands, by the time O'Brien came in SIU had reduced the rush and was giving us the short pass. O'Brien was bound to look better under less pressure.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          NOBODY is saying Crawford cost us the game.... what people are saying is the offense runs better with TOB in there..... I can evaluate film, Crawford looked like cr*p in the pocket... he was slow with his footwork, he looked at 1 reciever and stood there, his arm strength was sub-average at best....

Now yes the D played really bad, yes the O-line didn't play great, yes the running game could be better, yes the play calling could be better......
          Wow Joe, how'd you get your hands on the film so quickly???

One thing that impresses me with Crawford (and TOB) is their agility in the pocket (neither is very agile outside the pocket). It is pretty rare that Crawford gets sacked by the first defender that has a shot at him. I can remember multiple times this year (and a couple in this game) where our qb stepped up in the pocket to avoid a rusher, gained a couple seconds, and threw a completion. The difference between those times and the first half today was that when the qb avoided the first rusher, there were 3 more guys on top of him. That is an O Line problem to me. Could Crawford have thrown it away? Sure, but then we'd all be b!tching about how he's always throwing the ball away (which I actually heard people complaining in the stands the first game of the year).

Could our qb play have been better today? Absolutely. The same could be said for our O line, D line, Linebackers, Recievers, Corners, Safeties, Punter, Kickers, and so on. I think about everything that could have went wrong today did go wrong. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Yes. Without the early mistakes, much different game. We dug a hole against a good tem that we couldn't climb out of. Play without the mistakesa and they look like the Jacks against UNI.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              They run the same offense, regardless of who's playing QB.

I haven't the foggiest idea why 'ball control' strategy is so hard for some people to understand.
              Because it's a terrible offense. It really is. There is no variety and against good teams, we aren't going to do anything. That offense is awesome against teams that SDSU is better than, but when we play a team that is just as good, they shut us down with EASE. How many times a game do we run the ball up the middle or run that stupid play where they throw the out to the guy in the slot. They run some of those plays 5-6 times a game or more. Our offensive play calling has been bad all year. There are going to be games when the D doesn't play as well (and the other team has a high powered offense) and the offense will be asked to score and be explosive. And SDSU will lose because we won't be able to do that.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                but when we play a team that is just as good
                Huh?

Your take on it is that SDSU would be able to 'blow out' or at the very least easily handle teams that are 'as good as' it is, if they had the right offensive scheme?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Comment

UNI wasn't a good team?

Comment

Look, the offense isn't flashy. That was Daly's style, not Stig's. But, run well it is effective, especially when pared with a strong defense.

That is why the Jacks have only one loss in the MVFC in their second year. And, why the Jacks have played in what could be seen as their second conference championship game since going D1.

Comment

I don't know if I'll go as far to say the offense is a bad offense but its a very predictable one

every 3rd set, Duffy comes in....

95% of the run plays are between the tackles

when Crawford is in there 90% of the throws are within 8 yards

also, Tyrel Kool should be getting some reps in the backfield.... I did notice he was playing safety at the end of the game though....

Comment

Sheesh. It's called a 'system', and if you stare long enough at any college program you'll find out that they all have them. Even Florida.

Comment

Crawford is not the reason we lost, but he never gave us a chance to win either.

I have been rooting for Crawford to get healthy and lead this team again, I have stuck up for him the last few weeks when people have said that TOB should have been starting, but after this game, I can not say he is the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win. Dale Lennon has a great defense mind and a good defense, and today, in the words of Denny Green, Crawford "was who he thought he was"... but Ryan was not let off the hook.

Crawford's arm strength and slow delivery were exposed today by a defense that had the talent to do so. SIU sat on the short routes and had plenty of time to react to Crawford's passes, allowing the pass defenders to either jump in front of the short routes or at the minimum, make the tackle before the receiver could get any YAC. With the secondary sitting on routes, Ryan had to hold the ball longer, which allowed SIU's pass rush to get to Crawford and forced drive stalling sacks (and a pick 6). When a secondary doesn't have to play honest, you will see offensive halves like the one we saw in the first half of this game... and in comes Thomas O'Brien.

Why was TOB more successful in this game? The answer lies with the fact the defense HAD to be honest when Thomas was in the ball game. The SIU defense had to respect the intermediate and deep routes, and with TOB's quick delivery and superior arm strength, the defensive backs had little time to react to the ball in the air. Now arm strength and quick release mean little if the QB doesn't make good decisions, but with the time TOB was afford as a starter, it is more than obvious that his pocket awareness and decision making skills have greatly improved as the season has progressed... to the point in which I'm not even sure Crawford has the advantage in that department over him anymore.

Now I know people will point out that the defense played awful and I don't think anyone would argue that, but did the offense ever pick up the defense? People talk about how turnovers created by the defense can spark a struggling offense, but the offense answering the opposing team's scoring drive can be exactly the spark needed to pick up a struggling defense as well. This never came while Crawford was at the helm and it was much too late by the time TOB took over.

I really am a fan of the courage and leadership Crawford has provide this team, but I am a bigger fan of the Jacks team as a whole, therefore I want to see the quarterback play that gives the team the best chance to win. Would we have won with TOB at the helm from the start? Not very likely considering the all around performance of the team. Would we have had a better chance to win if TOB was quarterback? No doubt in my mind.

I'll say it one more time: Crawford is not the reason we lost, but he never gave us a chance to win either.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Why was TOB more successful in this game?
                            Because he was playing the 2nd unit.

The first unit picked him off in the end zone.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Because he was playing the 2nd unit.

The first unit picked him off in the end zone.
                              that was a wrong route ran by the reciever and a 4th down play......

Comment

The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X