Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Deep threat relies on better pass protection than the Jacks were giving Crawford.

Opposite side of the same coin--and all three QBs were pretty bad about staring down their primary targets, but Crawford was best of the three.
    He stood there a long time before the defense got to him. The O line can't hold blocks forever. He stood and stood and stood and then he was brought down on most of those sacks. That slow delivery doesn't help matters either. He has a long, slow delievery. I'm not here bashing on Crawford just calling it like I saw it. If Youngstown had any sort of offense they would have lost last week too. Last week's performance from #12 wasn't much better.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
      To me, that points to not being prepared. Stig's postgame comments contradicted what I am putting forth here.
      Stig at the press conference: "It was like we didn't practice all week."

(in Valley girl voice):

"It's totally like they practiced, but you know, they didn't practice."

Jacks got to take what they can learn from this game and leave all the rest of it behind them.

Oh well. Here's hoping soccer can go 2-0 vs. IUPUI tomorrow.

Comment

I don't know whether or not Craw was off his game or if the gameplan didn't do him any favors. I do know that SIU deserves some of the credit. Somebody blitzed from somewhere on every play, but try as I might, I couldn't figure out who it was going to be by looking at them pre-snap. They're strong and fast on defense. And Lennon's schemes look pretty complex.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

He was also their second stringer. Not as good at a QB's first responsibility.
          From what I read on UNI's thread, it was a pretty close race between SIU's first and second string QB as to who started this year.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
            He stood there a long time before the defense got to him. The O line can't hold blocks forever. He stood and stood and stood and then he was brought down on most of those sacks. That slow delivery doesn't help matters either. He has a long, slow delievery. I'm not here bashing on Crawford just calling it like I saw it. If Youngstown had any sort of offense they would have lost last week too. Last week's performance from #12 wasn't much better.
            Would've been better if he could roll out and run on those plays, I mean, shoot if no one's open, how often does it happen that if you wait long enough, someone gets separation?

I'm wondering if Crawford's gotten a bit cautious since the knee injury about scrambling (even though he took the hit in the pocket).

At any rate, though, if the defense does its job, I still say Crawford comes out of this game looking like a hero. He can do what he needs to do to win games, provided the defense does its job.

And I just don't see TOB as being so much better than Crawford that he could make up for the way the defense played. In fact, I think TOB might have played worse (with an underclassman's 'got to get it back all at once' mentality) than Crawford in the first half. Or at least as bad, but in a different fashion.

--

In fact (since we're doing the whole autopsy thing), how many passes were dropped because the receivers were thinking about scoring? That's another problem when you're down by a few touchdowns (and in fact, in more of a hole than you've been in in years). You start thinking that every catch has to be a 'game breaker'.....

Comment

Bottom line here: We played very poorly. SIU played very well. That's a really good team and they put a lot of pressure on both our offense and defense today.

I have a lot of confidence in our coaches to figure this out, and fast. They'll put the team in a good position to play well next week and the week after. We lost to one of the best teams in the nation. Now the goal is 1-0 for next week.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

We got Elizabeth Lambert ed today (see UFC Soccer thread if you don't know who she is) In other words We got B###hed slapped today.

Comment

Prove it.

This kind of 'I have come to a conclusion to which I'm going to bend all the facts within my grasp' logic is ridiculous.

If Crawford cost SDSU the game against SIU (which is far, far, far from the truth), TOB even more directly cost SDSU the game against Cal-Poly (14 pts. off turnovers).

You can't "prove" TOB is a better quarterback, save by selective cherry-picking of facts, generalities, and the much beloved "because I say so" argument.

-----

The defense allowed 27 points. Crawford did not lose the game.

And if you're going to blame Stig, blame him for the fact that nobody on the team was ready to play today. Don't blame him because SDSU plays 60 minute, both sides of the ball. ball control-style football that you either don't understand or don't appreciate.
                  I said it was my opinion that he was better.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    We got Elizabeth Lambert ed today (see UFC Soccer thread if you don't know who she is) In other words We got B###hed slapped today.
                    Yep. SIU grabbed our pony tail and threw us to the ground.

Oh well..... The radio played "It's alright" by Stevie Wonder on the way home, and I'm feeling better already.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      I said it was my opinion that he was better.
                      Go back and reread your first sentence.

As Dr. Taylor used to perpetually remind us: "Words mean things."

Comment

NOBODY is saying Crawford cost us the game.... what people are saying is the offense runs better with TOB in there..... I can evaluate film, Crawford looked like cr*p in the pocket... he was slow with his footwork, he looked at 1 reciever and stood there, his arm strength was sub-average at best....

Now yes the D played really bad, yes the O-line didn't play great, yes the running game could be better, yes the play calling could be better......

Comment

I think that's a bit unfair. By the time O'Brien came in SIU was laying back a bit with a large lead.

I will give you the change did lend a bit of a spark to the Jacks and O'Brien has a stronger throw. But, I don't think the QBs footwork made a difference.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Go back and reread your first sentence.

As Dr. Taylor used to perpetually remind us: "Words mean things."
                            John Taylor? He was one of my favorite profs at SDSU.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My son is taking Prof. Taylor's Sci Fi Lit class. Calls him a trip.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                                I think that's a bit unfair. By the time O'Brien came in SIU was laying back a bit with a large lead.

I will give you the change did lend a bit of a spark to the Jacks and O'Brien has a stronger throw. But, I don't think the QBs footwork made a difference.
                                if you don't have a strong arm you have to have good footwork.... you have to have a quick drop, and get your legs under your throw.... also you can't be telegraphing your throws with or without a strong arm and Crawford did that....

Comment

Working...
                                X