Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    No, because TOB is a better quarterback.
    Prove it.

This kind of 'I have come to a conclusion to which I'm going to bend all the facts within my grasp' logic is ridiculous.

If Crawford cost SDSU the game against SIU (which is far, far, far from the truth), TOB even more directly cost SDSU the game against Cal-Poly (14 pts. off turnovers).

You can't "prove" TOB is a better quarterback, save by selective cherry-picking of facts, generalities, and the much beloved "because I say so" argument.

-----

The defense allowed 27 points. Crawford did not lose the game.

And if you're going to blame Stig, blame him for the fact that nobody on the team was ready to play today. Don't blame him because SDSU plays 60 minute, both sides of the ball. ball control-style football that you either don't understand or don't appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      Absolutley the best team State has played this season. SIU should go far in the playoffs.
      I agree, SIU is a very good team and we just aren't as bad as we were today.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
        We definitely played uncharacteristically off kilter today at times
        -That- I would put on Stig's doorstep.

That and a failure to do something to address the difficulty the defense has with mobile quarterbacks.

---

I do not believe that SIU is -that- much better than UNI. SDSU hit UNI in the nose right off the bat, but against SIU they looked like, honestly, the JV team playing against the varsity squad.

And that's on the coaches----got to figure out what happened---- Complacency? Jitters? Lack of confidence?

Comment

A few early errors just put us in a tough spot early against a very good team. This was certainly not a QB or coaching issue. SIU got a ton of pressure on RC. And when TOB came in SIU had taken foot off the gas a bit.

When TOB is a senior he may well be better than RC. But right now, no. He just has a bigger arm.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            No one is saying the game is Crawford's fault, I think most people are saying that TOB gives us a better chance to win.

And to the post above mine, "cheer for the good plays or go home"? Really? Fan's aren't allowed to complain? I do agree that fans should cheer loud for the good plays, and generally have a good attitude. But there is nothing wrong with complaining...
            Fans are most definitely allowed to complain. That's not what I'm saying at all.

These people did not "generally have a good attitude." I guess I was kind of thinking to myself, if you don't enjoy the games, why do you show up. These were the types of fans who would complain loudly if we were up 27-3. And there seemed to be a lot of them in my general vicinity.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I am thinking that SIU might be the best team I have seen at CAS. That Cal Poly team last year was good. But SIU was so workmanlike. They just lined up and did what they were going to do. And their defense put a ton of pressure on our offense. How many times have we seen Kyle Minett break into the second level, break a tackle or two and get 20 or 30 yards. Today, SIU's defensive backs made the tackle on Minett every time. Six sacks in the first half. Seriously, what QB could have succeeded against that kind of onslaught?

SIU can play both speed and smash-mouth football. You don't see that much at this level. I think maybe the QB change for them was a good thing. It made them even more difficult to defend. I can see them going deep into the playoffs.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                It made them even more difficult to defend.
                Maybe. Put him up against a defense that will take away those scrambling opportunities and he looks decidedly like a second stringer.

His ability played right into the Jacks' weakness. Hopefully they can bring in someone, somehow, or study some film, or read some books, or do something to keep broken plays from turning into first downs.

----

That was the most frustrating thing to watch: SDSU's defenders lock down the SIU receivers, SDSU gets pressure in the backfield from a linebacker on 3rd down............. and BAM, SIU first down (plus another 10 yards or so). Just about guaranteed. Sooooo hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Fans are most definitely allowed to complain. That's not what I'm saying at all.

These people did not "generally have a good attitude." I guess I was kind of thinking to myself, if you don't enjoy the games, why do you show up. These were the types of fans who would complain loudly if we were up 27-3. And there seemed to be a lot of them in my general vicinity.
                  I know I was complaining during the game. Maybe my expectations of our level of performance was to high. There was much to complain about in my eyes. Crawford could not even hit O'Brien in warm-up tosses at the end of the half on the field. I don't know why we don't have our number one RB in at the goalline. I don't know why we can't mix some play-action in the playcalling in the same situation. Like I said, alot to complain about. I'm sure there were complaints made by the coaches on the head-sets too. Just the way it is when a team doesn't perform the way they are capable. I'm sure alot of people didn't expect to get handed to like we did today. As a result, people are going to be a little sour. The crucial mental mistakes result in a lot of complaints where I was sitting. Fully justified as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I'm gonna borrow a line just for laughs. SIU didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. They didn't do anything we didn't expect them to do. :-)

So on a serious part, SDSU did do a lot wrong in this game they didn't do against UNI. What was up with the poor snap in shotgun and then a poor snap/catch on the punt? Wow, what a killer possesion. That was at least 30 yards taken backwards in 2 plays by poor execution. Gimme touchdown for SIU. I also agree with the post in regards to someone finally jumping our 'outs'. It just didn't look like they were comfortable with throwing deep with Crawford today and were settling for 5 yard passes.

On the comments regarding the cheers for Thomas. I really thought the QB change would be made at halftime. And I'm not throwing blame on Crawford. I was all for him being the starter after coming back from his injury. I just would have start the second half with Thomas.

Something just wasn't clicking today. Some was play calling. Minett was able to run and get yards. First down run for 5 yards, then just straight to pass for the next 2 downs. He could have run the ball all day but we went away from it. What about the tackling? This was the worst tackling I have seen in a long time. It wasn't a very good display of wrapping up the ballcarrier. I have enjoyed the past 4-5 years with these seniors and wish this wasn't the result of their senior day.

Can you really rough the passer when the passer is a running back sweeping out to the sidelines? Who knew. Hope they get pissed about how the game went and take it out on Minnesota next week.

SIU was a very good team. This game should have been a lot closer.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

guys.... Was the loss solely Crawfords fault? No but the offense was very staget when he was in there, 1 one big play was a so so short pass and a broken tackle....

The problem I had with Crawford, was his foot work was horrible, when he was passing he looked at one reciever and then sat there.... a couple of those sacks he just sat there or stepped into the line....

The offense seems to run a lot smoother with TOB in there, the outs are not jumped because 1st he has a strong enough arm to get it there and 2 they have respect for the deep ball on the pump fake....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Maybe. Put him up against a defense that will take away those scrambling opportunities and he looks decidedly like a second stringer.

His ability played right into the Jacks' weakness. Hopefully they can bring in someone, somehow, or study some film, or read some books, or do something to keep broken plays from turning into first downs.
                        I agree, the QB awarness of the DL today was horrible. Maybe we have to play a little more Zone coverage with more attention given to the QB by possibly a linebacker. Although it might not have done much good, From what I saw, I believe SIU's QB was probably more athletic and quicker than anyone we had on the field defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          guys.... Was the loss solely Crawfords fault? No but the offense was very staget when he was in there, 1 one big play was a so so short pass and a broken tackle....

The problem I had with Crawford, was his foot work was horrible, when he was passing he looked at one reciever and then sat there.... a couple of those sacks he just sat there or stepped into the line....

The offense seems to run a lot smoother with TOB in there, the outs are not jumped because 1st he has a strong enough arm to get it there and 2 they have respect for the deep ball on the pump fake....
                          He held on to the ball way to long at times. Which doesn't help pass protection at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            and then a poor snap/catch on the punt?
                            And then Priddy couldn't even get into the end zone to take a safety instead of setting up SIU for a cupcake TD.

That was just, I mean, when you've got something that blows up in your face, and then blows up in your face again, and then the guy trying to minimize the damage can't even do that.............. Yeaaaaiiikes.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

Crawford is not as mobile ,which I believe is partly due to his knee not being 100 % yet. Last week it was really obvious when he tried to run - not as noticable today,but I still think he is not back to full strenghth yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                                I believe SIU's QB was probably more athletic and quicker than anyone we had on the field defensively.
                                The worst were the broken plays, though. Just about everybody tied up by someone on the SIU squad, everybody out of position, and that just set the table for McIntosh.

Nobody could get released until McIntosh had five or six yards. The guy on McIntosh would be behind him, and couldn't get enough of a grip on him to bring him down, and there'd be no one in front of him.

And that's been a problem for the Jacks for a little while now, and I wish they'd do something about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X