Attendance for SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance for SIU

What those who do not attend tomorrow will miss is a big match up between two former Norhtern State University assistant coaches, Stig and Lennon. I have vivid memories of how UND 3-4 defense under Dale Lennon was so good that it even stopped Josh Ranek the first time SDSU played in the Alerius center. Maybe 2001? It was a very frustrating game and SDSU lost big time. An all time rusher at SDSU was literally stopped several times.

Since one of Lennon's assistants is Bubba Swaggart who was the defense co-ordinator at UND and designer of the 3-4 defense schemes at UND, it appears Lennon is putting this type of defense to work at SIU. Also on the staff SIU is Eric Schmidt, a former Linebacker at UND who I believe won a number of awards. Another assistant on the offensive side is Randy Hedberg, former head coach at SCSU and was the offensive coach at UND. These guys worked miracles at UND when they were together and you wonder if they can repeat this success at SIU? We should find out tomorrow. This is too good of a game to miss. Be there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you are within 3 hours of Brookings, don't have a kid playing in another game, and aren't in the field you should be at this game no questions asked.....

Comment

I've talked to many students who aren't sticking around this weekend.Some didn't know about the game. I haven't seen any on-campus promotion this week in the Union or elsewhere. That doesn't mean there wasn't any, but if I was looking for it and didn't see it, I'd say it wasn't very effective.

I'm disappointed to think the biggest game in SDSU football history might be seen by 6,000 or 7,000 people.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The walk up will be brisk. Not as much hype for this game earlier in the season and knowledge that tickets will be available on game day without much hassle. I think we'll break 10,000 and that is an accomplishment. I don't think they'll be much activity in the tailgate lot but there will be a long line at the ticket booth.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            I've talked to many students who aren't sticking around this weekend.Some didn't know about the game. I haven't seen any on-campus promotion this week in the Union or elsewhere. That doesn't mean there wasn't any, but if I was looking for it and didn't see it, I'd say it wasn't very effective.

I'm disappointed to think the biggest game in SDSU football history might be seen by 6,000 or 7,000 people.
            I understand that students have a lot going on these days, but my goodness them not knowing that their is a HUGE football game on Saturday is just mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              The walk up will be brisk. Not as much hype for this game earlier in the season and knowledge that tickets will be available on game day without much hassle. I think we'll break 10,000 and that is an accomplishment. I don't think they'll be much activity in the tailgate lot but there will be a long line at the ticket booth.
              Thanks for talking me down. I hope you're right.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I challange everyone on this board to buy four extra tickets for friends or relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

If this is true, we are not going to need a 20,000 seat stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    I understand that students have a lot going on these days, but my goodness them not knowing that their is a HUGE football game on Saturday is just mind boggling.

Will point out that some of these earlier 14,000-plus crowds were also set when the student population was barely half the size it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                      If this is true, we are not going to need a 20,000 seat stadium.
                      Depends on how you look at it. If you want the ability to host 20,000 people for the "big games" (big game will be defined differently by different people) then we need a bigger stadium. If you want to build it so that its more "comfy" and appears full. Then you go with 10-15,000 seats and make the tickets more "premium" for those who want to see the biggest and best show in the state.

Frost was downsized, ticket prices increased, and the focus put on selling season tickets. Some people aren't happy about the fact you can't get a decent seat in Frost if 6000 plus people show up. Solution, by season tickets and you don't have to worry about a seat. The problem, season tickets are expensive and there are only so many available. Then again, its only a problem for the person who wants the tickets not the people selling them.

So, could we get 20,000 fans if we had the room? At this time, maybe for a game or two every other year or two. Will that change? Not sure. Just because we might draw (a big might I must add) only 5-8,000 for a game each year does that mean we shouldn't have a bigger stadium? Interesting questions to ponder.

I guess I don't see why having empty seats would be that big a deal. Now if the cost up front for a few thousand more seats is substantially greater or the maintenance cost is prohibitive than that changes things for me.

I'm going to have a huge grin on my face if 12,000 people show up tomorrow. If not, I'll still be one smiley Jackrabbit at the start of the game and hopefully at its conclusion.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I did not say we do not need a bigger stadium, I am just not sure it will need to be 20k like some people have said. Right now we have just over 10,000 seats. Maybe 16k is all we need.

Comment

I did not say we do not need a bigger stadium, I am just not sure it will need to be 20k like some people have said. Right now we have just over 10,000 seats. Maybe 16k is all we need.
                          I think you might be right and I didn't mean to say you weren't right to point that out. As we have been talking about the planning the question is more about what we can get in a stadium for what we can get in $$$$. We all know that is what it comes down to. Its likely to be able to seat at least 16,000 as that is the minimum attendance average needed to EVER consider a move to FBS and we'd be foolish not to have that OPTION. Some would say we'd be even more foolish to even consider that move up, different discussion.

Comment

A Jacks win Saturday. Finishing the season 10-1/9-2, hosting and winning a game or two in the playoffs will go a long way towards changing the culture around here in regards to late season football games. Consistent highly successful seasons will bring more people to games. As for the here and now, I think we will be lucky to see 9,000 at the game. I hope I am very wrong on that guess.

Comment

8,000 actual seats on both sides of the stadium. Allow for the current overflow along the east side and south endzones. That would probably suffice.

Comment

There was no promotion for students other than The Collegian. I said it last year about basketball games, but the Athletic Department or whoever needs to do a better job promoting games.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X