Attendance for SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance for SIU

Being aware that there's a game, and wanting to go to it are two separate things.

Marketing should be addressing both ends of it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Being aware that there's a game, and wanting to go to it are two separate things.

Marketing should be addressing both ends of it.
      That's my point I think most are aware but fewer motivated to go for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Just finished preparing wild SD duck breast rumake style and Nebraska quail breast on a skewer for the tailgate site. Should have I promoted this? Would that get more people to the game? Stop by the tailgate site if interested.

Last year at the Ill. St. game we did roast pork loin, it was this same weekend and not many stopped by the site. We had the tent up with a Mr. Heater, coveralls, and about 20 people packed in there. Snow, sleet, and 25 mph winds with damn near sub-zero wind chill. Good times for sure. Wasn't more than 2000 people there to start the game and less than 500 by the time she was over. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Berry threw 7 TD passes that day. Crazy I tell ya.

Same weekend this year, 60 degrees and 10,000 fans. Gotta love SD.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I'm sorry but this is plain BS. If students don't know there is a football game this weekend than they are simply not interested anyway. Could the administration do some more "simplistic marketing" sure, but I just have a hard time believing that students don't know there is a pretty important game this weekend. I just think there is still a relative small contingent of avid fans that follow the team closely and make the game a top priorioty for their weekend plans. Now if there is a special event and it's the place to be seen than they will make an appearence at the tailgate and show up for a portion of the game. No amount of marketing will change the priorities of the students, alumni or fans.
          Wrong. Most students don't know, plain and simple. And when they find out, most are interested in going cause the games are a blast. I think JJ and I would have a little better idea of the student veiwpoint.

Not many students are "hardcore" message board types, but that doesn't mean they don't care or want to go to games. A lot of students might know there is a game, but not know the magnitude of this particular game.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Any attendance in five figures will be a milestone for SDSU, IMHO . . . it seems like the athletic department is pushing all the buttons it can to get people to come to a late-season home game (that doesn't involve NDSU).

You can say it "should" be 15-16k, and maybe it should, but culture doesn't change overnight.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Wrong. Most students don't know, plain and simple. And when they find out, most are interested in going cause the games are a blast. I think JJ and I would have a little better idea of the student veiwpoint.

Not many students are "hardcore" message board types, but that doesn't mean they don't care or want to go to games. A lot of students might know there is a game, but not know the magnitude of this particular game.
              Your right student's just don't have a clue there is a game this weekend plain and simple. Let's put large Daktronics Boards all over campus so everyone gets the message. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Penn State has rallies that Jo Pa attends. It can be done.
                Justin Sell & Stig actually went to the dorms this week to spread the word

Penn State has this: http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/paternoville/about.html

----

Seriously, I don't think attendance is going to be a problem tomorrow.

And I think fretting over it just encourages all the "SDSU is not a premier program, this year is just a fluke" types that root for the Bison, Panthers, etc.

More than a few Bison & Panther fans are comforting themselves by saying, "SDSU will be back to normal next year, content to be seven and four." Having absolutely no confidence in the fan base just plays into that whole "SDSU isn't really that good, they're just having a good year" mentality.

As a fan, do your job (go to the game) and trust others to do their jobs too.

Comment

JJ does a good job of promoting the football games before each of his classes. I know from experience.

Comment

I don't know if it has been stated already or not, but 10 years ago, this game, no matter how nice the weather, would have drawn no more than 6K. Even if we would have been playing for the NCC championship. Of course we were never playing for a NCC championship back then, so we have no way to compare.

Time for bed. I'll be tailgating at 9.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Your right student's just don't have a clue there is a game this weekend plain and simple. Let's put large Daktronics Boards all over campus so everyone gets the message. LOL
                      I've talked to my friends that don't know about the game and when I tell them, they then express interest. Maybe a couple fliers in dorm lobbies and some stuff around the Union would help. It would take very little effort to increase student awareness. But I'm only a student living on campus, what would I know???

LULZ!!1!
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I've talked to my friends that don't know about the game and when I tell them, they then express interest. Maybe a couple fliers in dorm lobbies and some stuff around the Union would help. It would take very little effort to increase student awareness. But I'm only a student living on campus, what would I know???

LULZ!!1!
                        This.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I'll be heading for Brookings in about an hour, sooner if possible.

GO BIG! GO BLUE! GO JACKS!
                          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Me and my 2 sons will hit the road in 30 minutes. See you at the top of Sec T.
                            If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

Comment

Leaving in a couple of minutes as well. Didn't sleep well thinking about the big game today.

Comment

We have a social marketing class in our department that I teach with another professor. I think maybe we should work with athletics next fall to create a campaign to work on these issues, perhaps selecting a couple of publics (first-year students on campus and maybe young adults who are not SDSU grads in the community) and working through social media and traditional means to get them more connected to SDSU athletics.

As for today, I'm just going to hope for the best.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X