Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT Youngstown Penguins

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Anybody notice that everyone says the same things after we beat them?
    Nope, haven't noticed that at all! I'm starting to get accustomed to it. In a way, it makes some of the victories a little sweeter (why, some UNI fans were insulted!).

Comment

Nothing I said was meant to come off degrading. Personally, I felt like we had the better athletes which could be expected since we are in the hotbed for HS football here in Northeast Ohio, but you have far superior coaching, far superior execution, and had far fewer mistakes.

Our radio guy said the same thing. He went onto say that teams that succeed due to good coaching, good execution, and few mistakes are VERY tough to beat and I agree with him there. They think if you guys host at home, you will be unbeatable.

It is NOT an easy task to win in Youngstown, as you guys witnessed tonight, but GOOD teams find ways to win in tough places to play, and you guys are a VERY GOOD team.

However, even though I believe Southern Illinois may have the better athletes and perhaps a better team, I think South Dakota State will beat them for the same reasons they beat YSU tonight.... Fabulous coaching... Fabulous execution... Few mistakes.... Heart.

I have nothing but respect for the Rabbits and I truly believe you can win a National Championship. I believe a team with the coaching, execution, and heart like the Rabits have, could beat anyone at this level... And yes, that means I'd take SDSU over any team in the MVFC, CAA, or even the SoCon.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. 1-0 next week.

Comment

Guinzone! We're not allowed to talk about anything other than the game in front of us. We're like the guys in the baseball dugout who won't talk to, won't acknowledge, the pitcher who is throwing the no-hitter. Nobody wants to upset the karma or whatever the heck is going on with this 7-1 season, a season that could have easily been 8-0 but for some devasting hits administered in San Luis Obispo which sidelined our quarterback and a fabulous offensive lineman (both of whom have exceeded the docs' expectations and have returned to the battle).

So, thanks for the vote of confidence over how we'd match up with the winners in other conferences etc. But, now we're thinking the season starts with Southern Illiniois. A week ago, we were thinking the season started with the tough trip to Youngstown. Our team will go into the So. Ill game as it entered the game with YSU and before that, UNI, NDSU etc. etc.: they're not scared but they're damn serious and ready to play their hearts out. They know in this conference, any team can win, any team can lose. So. Ill. brings in our old friend Dale Lennon formerly from NCC opponent U of North Dakota. Why, I remember watching Dale and the other Lennon sisters on the old Lawrence Welk show, but, I digress....

1-0.

Comment

And here's the story as told on GoJacks.com:

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The South Dakota State University football team methodically moved one step closer to a possible Missouri Valley Football Conference championship, posting a 17-3 road victory at Youngstown State behind stout defense and two rushing touchdowns from Kyle Minett.

The ninth-ranked Jackrabbits matched their best start since 1963, improving to 7-1 overall and 6-0 in the MVFC in holding an opponent without a touchdown for the third time this season. SDSU came into the game ranked fifth in the Football Championship Subdivision by allowing an average of 12.6 points per contest.

SDSU's victory also sets up a showdown with Southern Illinois for sole possession of first place in the league standings next Saturday (Nov. 7) at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. SIU also improved to 6-0 in league play with a 33-0 victory over Indiana State in action earlier Saturday.

For the entire story, go HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
              Nothing I said was meant to come off degrading. Personally, I felt like we had the better athletes which could be expected since we are in the hotbed for HS football here in Northeast Ohio, but you have far superior coaching, far superior execution, and had far fewer mistakes.

Our radio guy said the same thing. He went onto say that teams that succeed due to good coaching, good execution, and few mistakes are VERY tough to beat and I agree with him there. They think if you guys host at home, you will be unbeatable.

It is NOT an easy task to win in Youngstown, as you guys witnessed tonight, but GOOD teams find ways to win in tough places to play, and you guys are a VERY GOOD team.

However, even though I believe Southern Illinois may have the better athletes and perhaps a better team, I think South Dakota State will beat them for the same reasons they beat YSU tonight.... Fabulous coaching... Fabulous execution... Few mistakes.... Heart.

I have nothing but respect for the Rabbits and I truly believe you can win a National Championship. I believe a team with the coaching, execution, and heart like the Rabits have, could beat anyone at this level... And yes, that means I'd take SDSU over any team in the MVFC, CAA, or even the SoCon.
              No, no, Guinzone, I wasn't upset with what you said at all. I was just noting that we hear the same kinds of things every week. YSU is a great program and has some great fans (I was at the 2007 game and really enjoyed it). It's kind of a compliment, really, that everybody has the same reaction to our team.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                It's fine if we're not flashy. It's fine if we're not the fastest. It's fine if we don't wow people when they watch us. It's fine that our uniforms aren't the slickest. It's fine if our stadium is old and has -- GOD FORBID -- a grass surface. It's fine if we don't blow opponents out every week. It's fine if they downplay us in press conferences. We're 7-1, and the only game we lost was one where we had to swtich quarterbacks midstream. We're a top 10 team. Are there things to improve? Yes. Are we sometimes inconsistent? Yes. But as long as we keep winning, everybody else can just keep talking about how lackluster we are. We're undefeated so far in a damn good conference, and we're probably headed for the playoffs. So keep your fancy domes and near-misses against teams like Iowa and national championships from years past and decades of tradition, and we'll take the victories on Saturdays. W're South Dakota State, and we're a tough, tough team.

Well said, and your correct.

Plus all fans of other teams need to take notice and think about it.
                We are 7-1 (6-0) and we still have a few areas to improve on and have some key injuries. <scary>
                We have:
                - a redshirt QB and a senior QB who leads the FCS in efficiency,
                - a top FCS defense,
                - 3 deep in great running backs (which are under used).

Could we be better ? Heck yes !
                <scary>
                and that should be scary to the other teams in the league. The next 3 years look real bright for State so let the other fans say they should have beaten us and blah blah blah. Because it is what it is.
                MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                http://gojacks.com

Comment

http://paneech.com/2009/11/9-south-d...th-a-17-3-win/

Review from a Youngstown Sports Blog...

Comment

Rep points to guinzone for that great link. Nice blogsite with good pictures and good analysis of the game. The blog referred to the Jackrabbits' methodical play, the same word used in the lead to the story on GoJacks.com. Methodical does not mean boring or even mechanical. It means organized and planned. Pretty accurate adjective for these Jackrabbits

Gettin' the job done!

Comment

Ho, hum. That's about it.

This lackadasical b.s. in the first half has got to end NOW.

The Jacks have to get the killer instinct in their eye on offense and blast these inferior opponents into the ground early. All it takes is one missed tackle on the defense today and...bang, it's a 10-10 tie the 4th. Unacceptable.

Unfortunately the next two opponents are not inferior. So the Jacks are going to have to score TD's if they want to win. I heard Stig at halftime and I'm glad he is as upset as I am with this. Let's hope it can continue like it did in the second half.

Comment

Football, unlike gymnastics and diving, is a scored sport not a judged sport. The team that scores the most points is the better team, that is it. There are no style points or reputation points in this game.

The Jacks score more points than the other team because they play better, consistent and mistake free ball. That makes the Jacks the better team. Look at the scoreboard, 'nuff said
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

SIU's backup QB had 8 rushes for 57 yards today. The Jacks are going to have to contain him better than they did against YSU's backup today. They knew that guy wasn't going to throw and did not do a great job against it.

On the other hand, they did do a very nice job against the running backs. Karim "the Dream" from SIU is very good, very, very good.

The YSU guys said SIU was better and no doubt beat the Jacks. Maybe somebody didn't tell them the Jacks haven't lost a MVFC game at home and don't plan on it.

Comment

1-0 next Saturday
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Did I hear cowbells over the radio today or was I hearing things?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                                Did I hear cowbells over the radio today or was I hearing things?
                                I heard them over the TV

Comment

Working...
                                X