Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1-0 This Week YSU

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    From the Valley article, homecoming for YSU. That makes it even tougher. I'd say this is going to be as tough a test as SIU at home.

This Saturday, the Penguins are back at home where they will entertain South Dakota State (6-1, 5-0).

The Jackrabbits are tied with Southern Illinois for the top spot in the conference standings.

Saturday’s kickoff is set for 4 p.m. The game will be the Penguins’ annual homecoming game and will feature the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
    I will agree with you on that point. Although the fans have come to the realization this season is all but over, the players still know deep down if they finish 4-0, with two top 12 wins, they are likely going to make the playoffs.

I expect a battle decided in the 4th quarter... Those are always fun at Stambaugh.

-MSU beat us in one this year.
    -Liberty beat us on a last second FG last year.
    -NDSU lost to us in the 4th quarter last year.
    -ILSU beat us in the 4th quarter in 2007.
    -JMU blew a big lead against us on ESPN2 in 2006!

Go Guins, but best of luck to the Bunnies! BTW, our YSU columnist called you guys the Thunderbirds on Monday.

Comment

If we finished 7-4 with a loss to Western Illinois to end the season there is no way we make the playoffs. 8 is the magic number we need to get to.

At a minimum we need to win one of the next three and then beat WIU to end the season. But I don't see any reason why can't win 3 of the next 4, or possibly even all 4, and end being a top 4 seed and host to some end of November playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        If we finished 7-4 with a loss to Western Illinois to end the season there is no way we make the playoffs. 8 is the magic number we need to get to.

At a minimum we need to win one of the next three and then beat WIU to end the season. But I don't see any reason why can't win 3 of the next 4, or possibly even all 4, and end being a top 4 seed and host to some end of November playoff games.
        Agree wholeheartedly. There is every reason to be excited about this team right now and I think every reason to expect an undefeated season in conference. I think we are better than the 3 remaining MVC teams and I expect us to continue to defend our home field.

That said, the only game that matters is the one on Saturday, I'm buying into the 1-0 this week thing 100%.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As usual, my counsel is wary respect for a conference opponent--especially at their place--especially with the recent tradition that Youngstown State has.

I don't know about an undefeated conference season. Nice that we still have that opportunity, of course, but I'll settle for an undefeated week this week, too.

The Valley is a scary league. Fitting as Halloween approaches, isn't it?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Always give the team that is in the more desparate situation due respect. The Penguins season is absolutely on the line, we can still win conference and make playoffs if we lose. Don't kid yourself, the players know this, and that is why this is game that really scares me. And then Filbert reminds me about Halloween!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well I hope our players are more focused on this game than we on this board are.

More chatter about the SIU and Goph's game and a game next year than this week's game.

Truly a trap game. I would be suprised if there were not some players this week who have looked at the injury to Dieker from SIU and Decker from UofM and got a little more bounce in their step. 1-0 men, focus on Youngstown. Heck the coaches even have me focused on 1-0.

It's going to be highly disappointing if they come out flat this week. Youngstown is a beatable team and the Jacks are the favorites in this game. But, they are no pushover. A flat performance really puts the heat on for the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                As usual, my counsel is wary respect for a conference opponent--especially at their place--especially with the recent tradition that Youngstown State has.

I don't know about an undefeated conference season. Nice that we still have that opportunity, of course, but I'll settle for an undefeated week this week, too.

The Valley is a scary league. Fitting as Halloween approaches, isn't it?
                I'll admit, I'm with Filbert. I'm wary and pessimistic nearly every week. This week is no different. This game scares the crap out of me and it's not just because it's on Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  Well I hope our players are more focused on this game than we on this board are.

More chatter about the SIU and Goph's game and a game next year than this week's game.

Truly a trap game. I would be suprised if there were not some players this week who have looked at the injury to Dieker from SIU and Decker from UofM and got a little more bounce in their step. 1-0 men, focus on Youngstown. Heck the coaches even have me focused on 1-0.

It's going to be highly disappointing if they come out flat this week. Youngstown is a beatable team and the Jacks are the favorites in this game. But, they are no pushover. A flat performance really puts the heat on for the rest of the year.
                  I sure hope that we don't judge the team based on what we read on the forums!

I think that, as fans, we are always attracted to the more "marquee" games. That is why we are fans. The players probably don't have a ton of free time to worry about if the Nebraska game is bought out or if UofMers thing SD has any type of inferiority complex.

The one thing that I have taken from this season so far is this team's ability to win even when not playing at their best. I think of the Missiouri St game, and the first half of UNI, and some of the NDSU game. Past years a slow start or a mid-game slump would have put this team in a hole they couldn't crawl out. IMO, this is just another step in what is quickly becoming an impressive program.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I'll say it again, I think this is an equal if not tougher test than the SIU game. I think our coaches feel the same way and I think they are approaching it that way. This team, this week, 1-0.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I watched Coach Heacock's comments at his last press conference. YSU seems to have problems finishing their drives. Players and coaches both believe they are not playing up to their potential. This not the time for us to go to sleep. There are a lot of good teams that lay more eggs than they intend too, so maybe at this point we got more to play for than they do.

I trust our guys will be ready to play and will rise to the occasion. We should be able to win this one.

Got a kick out of their message board. Trick and Treating is supposely goin to keep the attendance down. How is that different than pheasant hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I watched Coach Heacock's comments at his last press conference. YSU seems to have problems finishing their drives. Players and coaches both believe they are not playing up to their potential. This not the time for us to go to sleep. There are a lot of good teams that lay more eggs than they intend too, so maybe at this point we got more to play for than they do.
                        Yes in my extended browsing yesterday I noticed their TD percentage in the red zone is not very good. And their field goal kicker is less than 50%.

The Jacks defense has only allowed the opponent in the red zone 10 times all year. They have scored 7 times. Bad stat...all 7 scores are TD's.

Comment

I just don't think YSU has enough offense to beat us as they are currently sixth in the league in total offense and have given up 11 INT's this year.

Special teams could also play a factor as YSU is only 4-9 on FG this year and are last in the league in kickoff returns and punting. They also average 22 yards a game more in penalty yardage than SDSU.

YSU is pretty solid defensively but haven't played much of a schedule so far and seem to be a little more susceptible to the run. Hopefulyl Minnett can have another big day.

Forecast for Saturday in Youngstown has showers likely with a high of 61, which could have an effect on their homecoming crowd. If we play our game and don't mistakes we should be able to control the game.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

Oh, c'mon, this is what Fan Boards are all about - second guessing and looking ahead and occasionally silly stuff and maybe some important stuff.
                            Coaches and players have to do the game prep, we get to indulge. Call it the Total Fan Experience. ...

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Oh, c'mon, this is what Fan Boards are all about - second guessing and looking ahead and occasionally silly stuff and maybe some important stuff.
                              Coaches and players have to do the game prep, we get to indulge. Call it the Total Fan Experience. ...
                              I agree. Its very painless to later eat crow if our looking ahead is abortive in terms of outcome.

I hope our coaches are keeping everyone focused. The YSU coach is certainly not as upbeat at this point in time as Coach Stig was Saturday. Statistically we are looking good, but we can not afford to have a reverse movement in that trend by laying an egg this Saturday.

Comment

We did shut down Mr. Deji Karim of SIU, who I heard all week would run for 200 on us. I think he had 70 total.

Our offensive numbers are a bit hindered. We had more yards than MSU and lost. We had more yards than SIU and lost by 19!

If we could finish drives off, we'd be 5-2 right now, but instead we are 4-3.

We aren't a bad team, we are just way too inconsistent...

Comment

Working...
                                X