1-0 This Week YSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-0 This Week YSU

Ok, I'm going to try this again and hopefully this thread doesn't get too out of whack and discussion on how to eat a penguin. Which is kind of funny, but we need to talk about this game.

Ok, four games left. One against an FBS school who hates their coach for the most part, but it's still going to take a heck of a game to beat them. Another game against the #3 team in the country, albeit at home, but still a very loseable game. So it comes down to Western Illinois and this game to get to the 8 wins, everything after that is a bonus and could lead to a seed in the playoffs.

The Jacks must win this game. Focus. 1-0. This is a good defensive team that appears to like to shoot themselves in the foot (where have we heard this before?) on offense. The defense needs to be opportunistic again and give the offense a short field to work on. And then score TD's on offense. There have been too many missed opportunities to punch it in for 6 the last couple of weeks.

Re: 1-0 This Week YSU

Don't know if I would call beating SIU a bonus, just because SDSU is still in the playoffs at 8-3.
    Our expectations as fans should be that we win the MVFC every year, because that gives us the auto-bid and quite possibily a seed, which means a home playoff game. In turn, the easiest road to a National Championship.

Bottom line...win the MVFC and all the other stuff will fall into place. Beating the Gophers...that would be a bonus! But if it comes down to a bunch of guys getting hurt and a win against the Gophers...or a loss, no injuries and a fat check...at this point I lean towards the later.

Go Jacks!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Ok, point taken, bonus was probably not the right word for the SIU game.

However, if the stars don't align right and the refs screw the Jacks and they lose to SIU, then this Saturday is a must, must win.

Don't let up, pedal to the metal, go out and show the FCS this is a team to be reckoned with week in and week out!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        However, if the stars don't align right and the refs screw the Jacks and they lose to SIU, then this Saturday is a must, must win.
        Have you been taking fan classes online from NDSU?
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Have you been taking fan classes online from NDSU?
          *snort!* I about choked on my mt. dew when I read that!

As for the game, yes...gotta win them conference road games.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/oct/2...eak/?newswatch

Comment

The opposition keys on Minnet, when everyone is looking at you on defense, then it comes down to execution & blocking on our part to give him a decent chance at busting out for some yards.

Comment

I've got too much time on my hands today...sick kid.

The 'Guins defense looks pretty salty. They held a guy that SIU fans like to call "Karim the Dream" to 67 yards rushing last week, nearly 100 yards below his average. SIU's backup QB killed them in the rushing department, though. As long as Crawford's knee is near 100%, this appears to bode well for the more mobile Crawford. Statistically their pass defense is better than their run defense, #1 in the conference. Kirby from MSU had a nice game against their pass defense, he also had a pretty good game against the Jacks D also.

It appears their QB has a tendancy to turn the ball over, he has 11 int's. BTW, that's 3 more than "Nick the Pick". They do have two receivers who are near the top of the conference in receptions. They are middle of the pack in the conference in offense, run and pass.

One behind the scene stat I noticed is their net yards on their punts is 28 yards, that's terrible. They may have some blocks in there, but I believe if it's blocked behind the line of scrimmage, it doesn't go against the punter's stats. So get them to punt from their territory and it should lead to some good field position.

Crawford's going to have to knock the rust off early against a good defense and get some points on the board. This can lead to them throwing the ball more than they want to and then hopefully the Jacks can bring the heat from the front 4 to force some bad decisions by their QB.

Comment

31-13 Jacks.

Comment

From the Valley article, homecoming for YSU. That makes it even tougher. I'd say this is going to be as tough a test as SIU at home.

This Saturday, the Penguins are back at home where they will entertain South Dakota State (6-1, 5-0).

The Jackrabbits are tied with Southern Illinois for the top spot in the conference standings.

Saturday’s kickoff is set for 4 p.m. The game will be the Penguins’ annual homecoming game and will feature the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                      I've got too much time on my hands today...sick kid.

The 'Guins defense looks pretty salty. They held a guy that SIU fans like to call "Karim the Dream" to 67 yards rushing last week, nearly 100 yards below his average. SIU's backup QB killed them in the rushing department, though. As long as Crawford's knee is near 100%, this appears to bode well for the more mobile Crawford. Statistically their pass defense is better than their run defense, #1 in the conference. Kirby from MSU had a nice game against their pass defense, he also had a pretty good game against the Jacks D also.

It appears their QB has a tendancy to turn the ball over, he has 11 int's. BTW, that's 3 more than "Nick the Pick". They do have two receivers who are near the top of the conference in receptions. They are middle of the pack in the conference in offense, run and pass.

One behind the scene stat I noticed is their net yards on their punts is 28 yards, that's terrible. They may have some blocks in there, but I believe if it's blocked behind the line of scrimmage, it doesn't go against the punter's stats. So get them to punt from their territory and it should lead to some good field position.

Crawford's going to have to knock the rust off early against a good defense and get some points on the board. This can lead to them throwing the ball more than they want to and then hopefully the Jacks can bring the heat from the front 4 to force some bad decisions by their QB.
                      Their ability to defend is one reason that I like the thought of Crawford in the game. I think that the key will be the short passing game. His decision making and knowledge of the offense is huge for the team.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This is a dangerous game.They are still convinced the season isn't over yet & they can still make the play offs if they win out the rest of the season.I hope we don't have a let down after the big win over UNI & keep focused on winning this game before we think of SIU.

Comment

So, if I understand correctly a team needs a minimum of 7 D1 wins to make the playoffs. So, if SDSU wins this week they reach the seven win plateau and ALSO are gauranteed a second place finish in the Valley (if I am seeing things correct).

My question is if they win this week and happen to lose their remaining games do they still make the playoffs?

I would guess they would with a second place finish in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            S
                            If I remember correctly TV had some reference to MVC teams and the playoff history last year. I can't recall the exact details but it seems like there is strong precedent for playoff selection of teams with 7 DI wins and a top 3 finish in the conference. Again, I'm not sure but I think precedents would be in our favor.

However, and this is a big caveat, the east coast bias carries with it a lot of potential to undermine our chances if we finish the season 1-3. I think we need at least 2 wins to convince the east coasters and to get into the playoffs. Let's take care of one of those this weekend.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              So, if I understand correctly a team needs a minimum of 7 D1 wins to make the playoffs. So, if SDSU wins this week they reach the seven win plateau and ALSO are gauranteed a second place finish in the Valley (if I am seeing things correct).

My question is if they win this week and happen to lose their remaining games do they still make the playoffs?

Eight wins is a must, very few seven win teams have ever gotten in. I'd be leary about making the playoffs being in a second place tie with UNI. The selection committee would probably take UNI over us, especially if we lost some games down the stretch that we shouldn't of. I look at Youngstown and WIU as being games we should win and need to win to feel comfortable about making the play-offs no matter what happens versus SIU. In my opinion, play-off talk is to far down the road to worry about and talking about risks jinxing it. Take care of business every week for here on out. The rest will take care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X