Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI Game Day Thread

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
    I did have a nice talk with an alum from Udot today. He was full of comliments for us and said if we played them this year, it would be like the UNI game. He said they are not ready for this level of FB yet. He even has a son playing for them. I thanked him for his honesty and related the stories of what we went through.

As soon as I get home tonight, I am drafting my e-mail to the Yankton P & D for their lousy coverage of the SDSU/UNI game. A 2" fine print AP teaser on the last page of the sports is all it got. Got some info from Alumni office and hope to cool down before sending that off tonight.

lol don't get me started and I work there... The smack I was putting up with from the stringers (read primarily USD students) before Saturday was terrible... BUT, today was fun and tomorrow will be more so as everyone will be in covering playoffs... I am headed to Tripp and Avon for photos but trust me they will be eating their words...

As for our coverage... SDSU is not our "coverage" area.. usd is, plain and simple... Ace (James C.) is one of, if not the best sports editors in the state and he is stretched thin doing everything he does do... rather than burn him start sending requests... it will go a lot further and get better results, if he knows you want the coverage he will work to get it in...

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
      lol don't get me started and I work there... The smack I was putting up with from the stringers (read primarily USD students) before Saturday was terrible... BUT, today was fun and tomorrow will be more so as everyone will be in covering playoffs... I am headed to Tripp and Avon for photos but trust me they will be eating their words...

As for our coverage... SDSU is not our "coverage" area.. usd is, plain and simple... Ace (James C.) is one of, if not the best sports editors in the state and he is stretched thin doing everything he does do... rather than burn him start sending requests... it will go a lot further and get better results, if he knows you want the coverage he will work to get it in...
      We were talking about this at the Brookings Register the other day, doesn't James cover like 40 schools?

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post

leeshajo, I wouldn't expect him to send a reporter or photographer to cover the game, but a little more than what was in the paper would certainly be appropriate. Isn't there a wire story or something that could be used instead of the fine print area digest article? I know Ace does a good job and is overworked, but there are over 2000 alumni and friends of SDSU in the coverage area. I wouldn't think you would have to send a request to provide a little coverage of a game involving two nationally ranked schools, especially since SDSU has Tyrell Kool on the team and is seeing playing time. I hope you can see where I am coming from on this.

Comment

The Yankton paper is one of the best small dailies in the state and does a whole lot with not much. I think it's fair to ask them to include more wire coverage of the Jackrabbits. But be polite and understand that they're doing the best they possibly can. Times are pretty tough for daily newspapers right now.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have always liked the Yankton paper and maybe its been interesting reading when they have covered USD, which is only 26 miles away from the newpaper office. I am sure Leeshjo is stating the truth about being understaffed. Seems like The Brookings Register is having the same problem.

I do see Jack4Life's point though too. If you are in the area and this your local paper, I do think you always have a right to let the newspaper know what they are doing wrong or not covering what you feel it is news.

One of the good things I seen from the birth and growth of this board is the SDSU Alumni Association growing in the Yankton Area. Certainly an orchrestrated letter to editor campaign might be more effective since numbers seem to drive just about any type of business. If your consumers or customers do not like what your doing and they hear about then they either got to shrug it off or change.

I do think Yank P&D will be missing some news about a local as Ty Kool looks to be a very good running back and is from Yankton.

But I suppose the same arguement could be made about The Brookings Register not covering Brookings kids who have attended USD and participate in athletics. I know there have been a few who played football. I suspect if you dug out the microfilm of the Register from 1958, I doubt there would be much press about USD winning the NC in basketball. One of the major contributors of the USD team was Roger Nelson a very much Brookings kid and now an active senior citizen.

Comment

The carrot is much more effective than the stick in the long run.

Yankton area Jacks fans should take note of the local advertisers in the paper and when frequenting those businesses, mention that you saw the ad in the paper, and slip into the conversation your interest in SDSU athletics. It's a bit of a soft sell, but it will be effective if it's done consistently enough, by enough people.

Additionally, polite letters letting the paper's editor know that you'd like to see more SDSU coverage--especially if you also relate that you've had some of the above conversations with the advertisers. Editors like to know that people are actually paying attention to the ads--advertisers do, too.

As in everything else, it's all about the benjamins.

What we're all essentially working to break down is the perception in SD that SDSU is "Brookings' college." It's the State's Land-Grant university, and its mission is statewide. It isn't that SDSU "isn't in the P&D's coverage area" but that the P&D is in SDSU's coverage area. That's the mindset change we need to work on.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                We were talking about this at the Brookings Register the other day, doesn't James cover like 40 schools?
                Our coverage area stretches from the other side of Wagner, south to about 20 miles from Norfolk, Neb., East to the Iowa Border, as far north as Beresford, going back west to Parkston, but will cover the Menno's, Bridgewaters, Emery's, and even the McCook Central games as well at times...

so yeah we have a ton of teams we cover.

http://www.yankton.net/forms/submit_news/ is the link to submit requests.. I will give you a hint: they all come to me. I can promise they will get passed on.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  The Yankton paper is one of the best small dailies in the state and does a whole lot with not much. I think it's fair to ask them to include more wire coverage of the Jackrabbits. But be polite and understand that they're doing the best they possibly can. Times are pretty tough for daily newspapers right now.
                  I suppose 'sharing' TV's thoughts the day after games with the Argus would be completely out of the question.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Saw a young woman in Target in Cedar Rapids Sunday wearing an SDSU sweatshirt. She had an infant in her cart and was talking on a cell phone. I just pointed to my sweatshirt and gave her a thumbs up. She stopped talking on the phone and said, "Yes, first place!"

Comment

I think coverage of SDSU in the Aberdeen American News has picked up. John Papendick's column often has newsy items about SDSU athletics.

There are a lot of SDSU grads in the traditional coverage area for the American News. At the same time, Northern State is the obvious news story in Aberdeen.

Comment

Currently preparing to go to the Cedar Falls Old Chicago to meet some co-workers. Wearing my Jackrabbit Nation t-shirt. Wondering what kind of reaction that will draw. Not going to change though.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                          Currently preparing to go to the Cedar Falls Old Chicago to meet some co-workers. Wearing my Jackrabbit Nation t-shirt. Wondering what kind of reaction that will draw. Not going to change though.
                          You'll have to tell us how well it soaks up blood!

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                            You'll have to tell us how well it soaks up blood!
                            Luckily no blood spilled. They knew not to mess with me!!

Comment

Anyone catch on TV's blog Mark Farley didn't show for the MVFC weekly teleconference this week?

Must have been busy preparing for Bye. They've got a nasty "D" and they play on grass. Watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                                Anyone catch on TV's blog Mark Farley didn't show for the MVFC weekly teleconference this week?

Must have been busy preparing for Bye. They've got a nasty "D" and they play on grass. Watch out.
                                I guess I am being a Farley defender, but if you do have an open date, then there is not much you can say about the upcoming opponent. He could have came and praised the Jacks but choose not to. Or he could have blasted his players for losing the game. I am sure they had diffent expectations at this point in the season. So no show might be best for his team and himself at this point. No big deal, Stig showed up and that counts for me, but what Farley does is not something I am worried or concerned about.

Comment

Working...
                                X