Cal Poly Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly Game Thread

Yep, need to rebound now and get a road win in Springfield, MO.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      I thought this was going to be the year we finish better than 7-4 and make the playoffs but that game made it look like we might be on the outside looking in again.
      It's too early to be a Debby Downer. Quit it. What matters is the conference record, we'll get it done.

Believe 1-0 every week, live it, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
        Didn't like the play calling or adjustments (lack of) in the 2nd half. Really disappointed in our O-line's ability to run block. Teams have been running on Cal Poly. We looked anemic. Defense played well; bent, didn't break. How smart does their coach look by punting instead of going for it 4th?
        Agreed, the O-line hasn't been creating very many holes for Minett this year and we really struggled to get the run going.

The offensive play calling was pretty vanilla all game and than with 1:30 left we drop back to pass on our own endzone, on first down? Tough call, tough break. I really think with Crawford in we would have won this game. The offense really stalled in the second half without him.

Comment

You're right filbert. Didn't expect to use Sacramento State as our measuring stick. I obviously thought we were better than we showed. We will face tougher defenses this year. Maybe this game serves as an impetus to work even harder in practice. We still control our own playoff destiny at this point.

Comment

I just took some sleep aids and am going to bed. These kind of games can keep you up all night.

We got some things to work on and TOB did as good as expected. Turnover points wins the game. Not the kind of thing you can count on game after game, but it worked for Cal Poly. I hope our D guys can return the favor to some other worthy opponent in this manner before the snow flies.

Comment

Stig interview:

Starts with the usual compliments of the opponent.
              Re: going for it on 4th then deciding to punt -- he looks like a genius now; we look forward to seeing the replay of how/where T O'Brien gets hit etc.

Calls Crawford;s injury: Pretty serious injury. But, he'll find a way to contribute if not playing (note: I didn't like the wording selected by Stig)

Comment

Tough loss tonight, but just some unfortunate turn of events for Jacks tonight. Losing Crawford really changed the way the offense was ran tonight and it showed why Crawford was picked to start out the season, but lets not get down on O'Brien: He is a RS Freshman who came into a tough game with a game plan designed around having Crawford as QB, not him. You could tell the offense wasn't in sink, as the offensive strategy completely changed once O'Brien came in (from mostly under center to shotgun/wildcat), and that is tough to do on the fly against a good defense like Cal Poly's. I think, if Crawford is going to be out for next week (hopefully not, but being on crutches on the sideline is never a good sign), we'll see a much better game from O'Brien, for having an entire week to work with the first team offense will mentally prepare the young QB better than we saw tonight.

I think this team is above moral victories at this point, but the fact is our defense played pretty darn good against an offensive scheme they only see once a year and tonight's game was a non conference, road loss. Record is 3-1 heading back into conference play, which is a very enviable position to be in for most programs.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Stig:
                  Game moved a little fast for Tommy O'Brien at times but he'll get better the more he plays.

This hurts a lot but the guys will find a way to rebound.

Other injuries: No, I think we're okay

Comment

Well, Stig certainly didn't paint a pretty picture about Crawfords injury.

"pretty serious injury"

"TOB now KNOWS he's the guy for awhile"
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Sounds like Crawford's done. That's just terrible. He showed so much character to get himself back after that wrist injury last year. And he played great until his injury.

Regarding TOB: I'll say it again, and I'll probably keep saying it, we have to be patient with him. I've already heard some pretty tough assessments of TOB. Reminds me of how tough we were on another QB who turned out to be pretty good, Ryan Berry. TOB is our QB now, and I'm guessing he's going to get a lot better very quickly. But there'll be some rough patches.

Crawford's injury raises another issue. Do we keep Lee Mondol as our backup, or do we pull the redshirt on Whittier? It'll be interesting to see what the coaches decide on that.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

IMO no need to talk about any kind of moral victory. We lost. We have some work to do but I'm confident the team will get that work done. If O'Brien is the guy now due to Crawford injury, then, as noted by others, O'B has a good week of practice with lots of teachers including Crawford.

Comment

Its ironic that the piled up a lot of rushing yards, but we kept their offense out of the end zone after the first quarter. And then 2 defensive scoring plays would decide the game. Tough.

I agree though that our young QB did some good things, and with time to prepare as the starter he will do OK. The rest of the guys will need to step up though - some dropped passes and such tonight.
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

On a side note, something in my basement stinks....wtf is that?

I better investigate. Check back later.

Thanks for the updates guys!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Sounds like Crawford's done. That's just terrible. He showed so much character to get himself back after that wrist injury last year. And he played great until his injury.

Regarding TOB: I'll say it again, and I'll probably keep saying it, we have to be patient with him. I've already heard some pretty tough assessments of TOB. Reminds me of how tough we were on another QB who turned out to be pretty good, Ryan Berry. He's our QB now, and I'm guessing he's going to get a lot better very quickly. But there'll be some rough patches.
                              Rep points. I remember just a few short weeks ago people talking about how Crawford was the wrong choice because when he came in @ NDSU the offense didn't throw down the field, he couldn't make the throws, etc. etc. etc. I don't know if TOB's first start will be as successful as Crawford's, but I can't say that he played badly.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                IMO no need to talk about any kind of moral victory. We lost. We have some work to do but I'm confident the team will get that work done. If O'Brien is the guy now due to Crawford injury, then, as noted by others, O'B has a good week of practice with lots of teachers including Crawford.
                                No disgrace in losing to a good team. Like Stig said, we had our chances, and this game could easily have come out the other way if our guys had made one or two more plays, even after Crawford went down.

The goal is to learn and improve every week. Onward!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X