Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU@Cal-Poly

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
    I think Cal Poly maybe a little better than most Jack fans are giving them credit for. Ellerson is gone, but there is still a lot of talent on Cal Poly's roster.
    I think Slostang is on to something here. We need to play the game to really appreciate the results.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      Well this has to be a game the Jacks circled before the year.

I unfortunately remember too well getting our @$$ handed to us on our home field last year. It seemed that this was the most outplayed the team got last year, even more than Iowa St., IMO.

Almost 300 yards rushing, 10 sacks and a major setback in playoff hopes.

The d-line and linebackers had better bring their track shoes because Poly has always had a mobile QB and fast, fast backs. Barden usually never killed the Jacks, it's been the offensive backfield.

This game scares the crap out of me and if the defense shows up to play this week for four quarters...I will definately believe.

Like somebody said before, preseason's over folks, October is huge. 5-0 and a top 5 rating is coming to town. 4-1, book your playoff tickets. 3-2, hold your breath. 2-3 or worse, bring on TOB for next year.
      Correct, Barden may have been a distraction but he didn't put up any eye-popping numbers against us. They beat us in every other aspect of the game. You can bet that the Mustang players are not one bit intimated about the Jackrabbits coming to SLO. Again, I think we'll win this game but its going to take a supreme effort on our part. Things have gone about the way I expected to this point and it's going to be "a whale of a game" on Saturday. I'm darn glad I am crazy enough to go.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Correct, Barden may have been a distraction but he didn't put up any eye-popping numbers against us. They beat us in every other aspect of the game. You can bet that the Mustang players are not one bit intimated about the Jackrabbits coming to SLO. Again, I think we'll win this game but its going to take a supreme effort on our part. Things have gone about the way I expected to this point and it's going to be "a whale of a game" on Saturday. I'm darn glad I am crazy enough to go.
        I have talked with a lot of Cal Poly O and D linemen over the last four or five years and they say that South Dakota State is always the most physical game they play each year. Cal Poly has huge respect for the Jacks. I could see this game going either way. The Jacks have to be favored, but I think Cal Poly will give them a good game. I am just glad that the game is in SLO and not Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

MD...You are going to love SLO win or lose. I've been to every state west of the Mississippi and the Central California Coast area is my favorite!!

If you get out of there with out buying a 2nd home...consider yourself lucky!! If I had it my way...which of course I don't...we'd play Poly every year...Home and Home!

To all going down...be sure to go down to Morro Bay for dinner right on the beach some night. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's got a huge Great White Shark over the entrance...maybe SLOStang can help me out. AMAZING!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            This is a dangerous game and a considrable upgrade in competition from the first three weeks, but like others I feel if the Jack's can follow a similiar formula that has proven sucessful they can go out there and get a win. How exciting would it be take care of business the next 2 weeks and go into the NDSU game at 5-0.
            This is a dangerous game for a couple of reasons. Cal Poly is pretty good and its at their house. But, here is the difference from last year when they put a hurt on our Jacks.

Last year they were a serious threat to throw the ball for big yards. This year they are 11 for 36 in the last two games for a total of 147 yards. Poly can still run the ball and they play great defense but the passing offense has taken a big step backwards. In fact against OHIO U they completed just 1 of 11 passes for a grand total of 12 yards. Play the great defense, take care of the ball and enjoy the flight home at 4-0.

Jacks 27-13

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              This is a dangerous game for a couple of reasons. Cal Poly is pretty good and its at their house. But, here is the difference from last year when they put a hurt on our Jacks.

Last year they were a serious threat to throw the ball for big yards. This year they are 11 for 36 in the last two games for a total of 147 yards. Poly can still run the ball and they play great defense but the passing offense has taken a big step backwards. In fact against OHIO U they completed just 1 of 11 passes for a grand total of 12 yards. Play the great defense, take care of the ball and enjoy the flight home at 4-0.

Jacks 27-13

GBGBGJ
              I bet if the coaches could have just one player back from last year they would actually take QB Jonathan Dally. Ramses was the best athlete, but he could not have done it without Dally getting him the ball. Dally could also make a team pay with his feet.

Tony Smith did have a good game at home against Sac State. He was 12 of 19 for 218 and three TDs. He also ran for 95 and another TD. I am hoping for at least 50% against the Jacks. Any thing less and it could be a long night for the Mustangs.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                MD...You are going to love SLO win or lose. I've been to every state west of the Mississippi and the Central California Coast area is my favorite!!

If you get out of there with out buying a 2nd home...consider yourself lucky!! If I had it my way...which of course I don't...we'd play Poly every year...Home and Home!

To all going down...be sure to go down to Morro Bay for dinner right on the beach some night. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's got a huge Great White Shark over the entrance...maybe SLOStang can help me out. AMAZING!!
                The way the state of California is going there could be extra fees involved like the entering and exit California tax. The breathing California air tax. the Having a good time in California tax. The California Flushing the toilet tax.the beating a California team tax. Sorry to get political but its always nice to be prepared, so get out there and spend spend spend Cali will appreciate it.*

*Former California resident of 17 years here

Comment

I think this game says a lot about our team as everyone has suggested. I'm waiting for these guys to get punched the mouth a couple times and see how we react. We haven't had to deal with much adversity late in the game. I suspect the game will be close late and I'm anxious to see how we respond. That will tell us a lot about the rest of the season. We're playing big-boy football teams the rest of the way for the most part. That said, it would be nice to have another game like the first 3.

Comment

With the change in coaches, was there a change in schemes on both sides of the ball for CP? If so what are they now?

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                      With the change in coaches, was there a change in schemes on both sides of the ball for CP? If so what are they now?
                      Still triple option with a few new twist. They switched the defense from the 3-4 double eagle flex to a more traditional 4-3.

Comment

Definitely will tune into the game saturday while we are at our son's Autism Walk.... GO JACKS...

And yes everyone is right -- this will be a good indicator for the rest of the year...
                        - Walk Now For Autism Speaks - Sioux Falls - June 9, 2012: My Personal Page

Comment

Both the offense and defense were unusual to prepare for in the past- but if defense is more traditional that is good for us. Dally was a stud and a great fit for the offense! If the current QB is not effective throwing the ball it makes it easier to stop the option by committing more people to the run- witness Georgia Tech's troubles against Miami (and at times in the Clemson game) when their QB was like 1-11 passing. Strange that Ellerson goes to Army and CP finds his replacement from Army. I expect a great game.

Comment

I think with Batten and Steffen on the outside and our linebacker corps that we have the speed to handle most any running attack we'll run up against. I'm much more worried about a power running game (UNI?) than I am against an option/speed attack like Cal Poly, especially if they don't have a passing game to keep us honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              I think with Batten and Steffen on the outside and our linebacker corps that we have the speed to handle most any running attack we'll run up against. I'm much more worried about a power running game (UNI?) than I am against an option/speed attack like Cal Poly, especially if they don't have a passing game to keep us honest.
                              How good Cal Poly's passing game is or is not seems to be determined on how good the defense they are facing. It was great against Sac State (218 yards and three TDs), marginal against San Jose State (135 yards no TDs) and down right bad against Ohio (12 yards and 2 picks).

As far as a power running game, our FB Jordan Yocum ran for 130 straight up the middle on Ohio. Cal Poly is a good running team. They are a very good offense when the passing game is on. Not so good when it is not.

Comment

Highlights from Cal Poly vs Sac State game: http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=videos&id=78811

Comment

Working...
                                X