Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Football Recruiting List

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I know what you are saying and sadly it's true, but he should have been offered by an FBS school based on physical traits alone. He is 6'5", 220 lbs, and can throw with the best of them. That is a lot of raw talent you can't teach right there, and I don't care what state you are from, that is hard to find.
    You are correct. You can't teach size or speed. To touch on a later post I believe he was laid up with some sort of shoulder surgery last summer so he missed out on a lot of camps that may have exposed him to bigger programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I know what you are saying and sadly it's true, but he should have been offered by an FBS school based on physical traits alone. He is 6'5", 220 lbs, and can throw with the best of them. That is a lot of raw talent you can't teach right there, and I don't care what state you are from, that is hard to find.
      FBS schools aren't the gods of QB judging. Some of the best NFL quarterbacks of the last few years were shunned by FBS schools (Flacco, Delaware; Delhomme, Louisiana-Lafayette; Romo, Eastern Illinois; and, of course, Warner, UNI). Some of the biggest busts have been from BCS schools (Quinn, Notre Dame; Leinart, USC; Jamarcus Russell, LSU).

Comment

Flacco went to Pittsburgh then transfered to Delaware. But understand your point.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
          To touch on a later post I believe he was laid up with some sort of shoulder surgery last summer so he missed out on a lot of camps that may have exposed him to bigger programs.
          Not sure if he actually had surgery, but did have an injury that prevented him from throwing during most of the camps.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Also, FBS schools see it as a risk to take a kid out of South Dakota. How many South Dakota kids, besides Josh Heupel, have gone on to be D1 quarterback.
            Schools like Minnesota, Wisconson, Iowa, & Iowa St would rather find a QB who plays in conferences that they know the level of competition is strong. Major conference schools usually grab QB's from major conference high school programs.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              Also, FBS schools see it as a risk to take a kid out of South Dakota. How many South Dakota kids, besides Josh Heupel, have gone on to be D1 quarterback.
              Schools like Minnesota, Wisconson, Iowa, & Iowa St would rather find a QB who plays in conferences that they know the level of competition is strong. Major conference schools usually grab QB's from major conference high school programs.
              They also tend to avoid our girls basketball players. They'll learn.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                They also used to avoid our girls basketball players. They'll learrn.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Argus story about Sumner:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...33/1002/sports

Quote: "I'm not just going there to play football, I'm going there to grow up, get a degree and be a better man."
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    They also used to avoid our girls basketball players. They'll learrn.
                    Actually, we sent far more girls to D1 programs than boys for the last 30 years, including many who were all conference in the Big 8 and Big 10. The great thing about AJ is he has convinced those girls to stay home and play now that SDSU is D1.

This is great for Austin and SDSU, and South Dakota football fans! Congratulations on a great choice!

Comment

Robbie Jelsma of Bon Homme will be attending. Coach Stig was in Springfield last week. Good solid player.

Comment

As in he has officially verballed to play football at SDSU?

Comment

At 6'3 215 Jelsma got the perfect build for an FCS Linebacker. Trevor Gebhart has to be wondering what it would be like catching balls thrown from 3 guys with a cannon for an arm in O'Brien, Lotzer and now Sumner.

Comment

Jelsma did have his official visit this past weekend, but has not gave a verbal before he left campus. I have heard he had a great visit and is a major lean for SDSU right now.

Comment

Trevor Gebhart would be a very nice addition for the Jacks, should he change his mind about heading up north to Super Cold Land. Jelsma sounds like a great prospect, too.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                At 6'3 215 Jelsma got the perfect build for an FCS Linebacker. Trevor Gebhart has to be wondering what it would be like catching balls thrown from 3 guys with a cannon for an arm in O'Brien, Lotzer and now Sumner.
                                How many receptions did Gebhart have at Washington last fall? If I recall it wasn't very many.. He may not have seen the field at SDSU

Comment

Working...
                                X