Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am not going to comment blow by blow of what you have posted, but I did notice when USD was admitted to the Summit, the big story was playing SDSU again, and it was secondary that you found a conference for most of your sports, and that the suffering of being an independant was over. I was also amazed that President Abbott was nailed to wall about going D1 when there was a press conference about budget cuts at USD. To me I see some weakness in committment up and down in the Coyote community. Soon you will need all of these people to donate regularly in order to meet your scholarship budgets. Gimmicks such as Wisconsin games will work for so long. A game with Wisconsin can not be counted on yearly to balance the budget. You need revenue from other sources, and I will be totally surprised if your Coyote Club ever surpasses the Jackrabbit club in donations. If it does, then somebody has really worked their tails off.
    That's a good post. Can you answer me a question? How much money does your athletic department raise from boosters specifically for athletics, and if you do know, how does that compare to USD? I think I know the answer about USD, but I'll do some research in the meantime to validate what I think.

As far as your comment about playing a Wisconsin, does that differ than you playing Iowa State or Minnesota? Just asking. If it's valid for your program to do it, then I suspect it's valid for USD. And I will almost bet both schools will do it almost annually as a way to generate the funds.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      That's a good post. Can you answer me a question? How much money does your athletic department raise from boosters specifically for athletics, and if you do know, how does that compare to USD? I think I know the answer about USD, but I'll do some research in the meantime to validate what I think.

As far as your comment about playing a Wisconsin, does that differ than you playing Iowa State or Minnesota? Just asking. If it's valid for your program to do it, then I suspect it's valid for USD. And I will almost bet both schools will do it almost annually as a way to generate the funds.
      I don't have the exact numbers for athletics but we could have someone track them down. We aren't nearly on par with UNI or NDSU and we need to improve for sure. I'm not sure how we would compare to USD. I suspect we'll have more boosters and more money raised, not sure by how much.

Ideally, Stig would like a regional FBS team (Big X or Big XII) on the schedule every year.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I don't have the exact numbers for athletics but we could have someone track them down. We aren't nearly on par with UNI or NDSU and we need to improve for sure. I'm not sure how we would compare to USD. I suspect we'll have more boosters and more money raised, not sure by how much.

Ideally, Stig would like a regional FBS team (Big X or Big XII) on the schedule every year.
        I think Stig is right. I was actually at the Iowa State game last fall, and honestly thought going into the game you had a chance to beat them. I alsoi saw your basketball team beat Iowa State as well.

Stig understands two things. First of all, it is a significant cash flow to the program. Secondly, your coach understands by making that comment that his players at least once a year want a shot at a "big boy", because it is going to happen sooner or later....the Jacks or the Yotes will get one on the road. NDSU got Minnesota, and we'll do the same.

Comment

Will you stop it? Good Lord, you all think that the only thing we care about is playing SDSU.
          http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8330

One small example...you have 150+ posts on an SDSU message board but yet you had no clue who the best player was (Ramses Barden, by a mile) in your football conference this past season. In fact, until he was drafted this past weekend and mentioned on this board you didn't even know he played your Coyotes. There was great football played against very good FCS opponents this last season by USD, but did a lot of fans notice?

I don't think that all USD fans are only looking at division 1 as a precursor to playing SDSU again, but it definately is a big part. One of the nice things about USD's transition the next few years is that a lot of their fanbase is going to realize how much better athletics are at this level - at least I hope they notice. I know I have appreciated the difference at SDSU.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8330

One small example...you have 150+ posts on an SDSU message board but yet you had no clue who the best player was (Ramses Barden, by a mile) in your football conference this past season. In fact, until he was drafted this past weekend and mentioned on this board you didn't even know he played your Coyotes. There was great football played against very good FCS opponents this last season by USD, but did a lot of fans notice?

I don't think that all USD fans are only looking at division 1 as a precursor to playing SDSU again, but it definately is a big part. One of the nice things about USD's transition the next few years is that a lot of their fanbase is going to realize how much better athletics are at this level - at least I hope they notice. I know I have appreciated the difference at SDSU.
            I have a helluva time remembering my anniversary. So what's your point? I apologize from the bottom of my heart I didn't know Ramses Barden by name. I can't remember most of our past players, so that has nothing to do with USD fans not appreciating or respecting the level of talent. I know for a fact the level of play is going up, I just won't ever win any trivia games because of my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Hub City. Anyone know that one? Probably 20 people at most.

ive been to hub city!!!!!!

Comment

Spink or Burbank anyone?
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Spink or Burbank anyone?

beautiful downtown burbank, of course. is whimps still there?

and for the record, i want the usd/sdsu game to happen. sorry if im bennidict arnold.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post

and for the record, i want the usd/sdsu game to happen. sorry if im bennidict arnold.
                    My address is Burbank, but I've never been there before. Its quite weird.

Hub City is a beautiful "town"
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

• Re: SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Isn't Aberdeen the "Hub City"
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        I believe Whimps is still there, but it's been well over a year since I've been there. Spink also has a restaurant and could soon have an oil refinery [drops political bombshell]
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Yes I do know and I only have to go to the BOR report from June 06, 2008. It shows SDSU exceed USD in donations by $120,000. SDSU ticket revenue exceed USD by 300k, and so on and so forth. The total budget of SDSU was 8 million while that of USD was 4 million. SDSU has nearly twice the number of sports and manages to balance the budget. So I could go on and on. Terry Vandervec sited this report in his June 2008 blog. Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

So much for criticism of Dr Oien's personal life. Looks to me he did one hell of job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Spink or Burbank anyone?
                            Now your are getting into my stompin' grounds. As a matter of fact, I was in all three of these fine communities this past week. Spink does have a cafe/bar that is open again. Ate at Whimps a few weeks ago and the tips are still excellent. Hub City-nothin there but a church and a historical marker. Don't forget Mayfield. Still a cafe/bar there, too. One little town you must visit is in Nebraska. The little town of Martinsburg, just south of Ponca. Home of Bob's Bar. Never seen anything like...see link-
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5100

Home of the $2 long neck and Bob's Big Burger. Six us of ate and drank there one night for $40 for the entire bill. Worth the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                              Hub City-nothin there but a church and a historical marker.
                              Don't forget a crappy, but awesome, baseball field.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                Don't forget a crappy, but awesome, baseball field.
                                With the plywood scoreboard sponsored by Meckling Fertilizer...Meckling, home of Toby's Bar and Grill. Order whatever you want as long as it is chicken.

Comment

Working...
                                X