X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
    Oh really, why not?
    Because of the reasons I said.... FBS games are a win win situation.... you win your golden, you loose, well you were suppose too, 2 they get you money, 3 they make your team relative (remember all of those people who said they won't play the Nebraska's or the Iowas if they go D-I) and 4 it helps with recruitment....

Why give up your money game to play USD? A team that won't give you any cred if you beat them, but its the end of the world if you loose to them.... Now maybe get rid of the SFA's and try to work in USD in, but you don't give up your FCS game....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Because of the reasons I said.... FBS games are a win win situation.... you win your golden, you loose, well you were suppose too, 2 they get you money, 3 they make your team relative (remember all of those people who said they won't play the Nebraska's or the Iowas if they go D-I) and 4 it helps with recruitment....

Why give up your money game to play USD? A team that won't give you any cred if you beat them, but its the end of the world if you loose to them.... Now maybe get rid of the SFA's and try to work in USD in, but you don't give up your FCS game....
      You are really bad at this sarcasm thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
        Once the "newness" of playing wears off the history suggests that it is likely not a "Million Dollar Game". That was my point.

Go State!
        I have never claimed it would be a million dollar game. That's somebody else's dream.

All I have said is we have a post-Hobo Day attendance problem (fact) and given the new context of the brutal MVFC, we need to consider whether it makes sense to continue scheduling dominant FCS programs in our non-conference schedule.

Those two situations make a game with USD a more viable option, starting in 2013.

I guess that's crazy. I should instead assume nobody would come to such a game and I should hold on tight to every negative thing that anyone from USD has ever done. Meanwhile, we should continue to schedule a wildly difficult non-conference slate that is out of step with our MVFC colleagues and that unnecessarily endangers our playoff hopes every year.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

You experts...got to give you credit, you have beat this to death and still find more to talk about. This is better than "The Insider".

Comment

I'm in the "dead horse" category on this one...we aren't scheduling USD until 2013 or later, so bring it back up if you like in 2011. Give it a break for awhile!

However, I can tell JJ and others, that we are NOT going to give up on the BCS teams...they are MONEY in the bank. This year's game against Iowa State paid for almost half of the 63 football scholarships. On the other hand scheduling weaker non-conference teams in the other home games available makes some sense to me (which means we could go ahead and schedule Udot at Coughlin...LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              I'm in the "dead horse" category on this one...we aren't scheduling USD until 2013 or later, so bring it back up if you like in 2011. Give it a break for awhile!

However, I can tell JJ and others, that we are NOT going to give up on the BCS teams...they are MONEY in the bank. This year's game against Iowa State paid for almost half of the 63 football scholarships. On the other hand scheduling weaker non-conference teams in the other home games available makes some sense to me (which means we could go ahead and schedule Udot at Coughlin...LOL).
              For the record, I don't advocate dropping the FBS games. I've never said that. I don't know where anybody got that idea and I'm more than a little annoyed that anybody would suggest I've said it.

Losses in those FBS games don't impact your playoff hopes anyway. So why would it be part of my argument that our scheduling is impacting our playoff hopes?

My understanding is we're always working on scheduling. So bringing it up in 2011 will probably mean we're talking about 2016 at the earliest.
              Last edited by JimmyJack; 12-13-2008, 12:16 PM.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have been scanning through this thread, not actually reading it all. One question keeps popping into my mind; does anybody eat pie and drink beer at the same time?
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Lemon Pie with a Blue Moon is very tastey

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                    Lemon Pie with a Blue Moon is very tastey
                    and, by name, a great color combination!
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

• Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                      I have been scanning through this thread, not actually reading it all. One question keeps popping into my mind; does anybody eat pie and drink beer at the same time?
                      I'd think Guinness would be a good match for most pies. Just a hint of bitter to go with the sweet of the pie.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't think anyone wants to get rid of the FBS games for USD. That would be insane, nobody is that crazy. The comment I made earlier was extremely sarcastic.

I agree with the kicking a dead horse thing. My reasoning for playing the U was stated. We've all got our opinions on this, some agree, some don't. I say shut this thread down. Bring it up again in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I'd think Guinness would be a good match for most pies. Just a hint of bitter to go with the sweet of the pie.
                          Why not just a Guinness pie?
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                            I don't think anyone wants to get rid of the FBS games for USD. That would be insane, nobody is that crazy. The comment I made earlier was extremely sarcastic.

I agree with the kicking a dead horse thing. My reasoning for playing the U was stated. We've all got our opinions on this, some agree, some don't. I say shut this thread down. Bring it up again in a year or two.
                            And in a year or two, our schedule will be full until 2014. Two years after that, it will be full until full until 2016. Under that scenario, we run the risk of p!ssing off enough citizens that the 2012 State Legislature or BOR mandates the game, and now not only do we have to play USD, but we probably have to buyout of another game that's scheduled. Foresight and leadership could save us money (see Wall Street). And like I said earlier, try to predict the behavior of a state legislature or BOR.

As for the SDSU administration digging in their heels and refusing to even discuss the possibility: LEADERS RARELY DIG IN THEIR HEELS. If they do, someone from behind will start leading. Usually leaders look ahead and start putting one foot in front of the other.

As for all the pie business, obviously there are quite a few members who want to discuss this topic, so if you want to talk about pie, start a thread on it and see how many want to discuss it. From what I can read here, many of the most intelligent and enjoyable posters on SDSU fans would rather ignore the future of SDSU football and discuss pie and beer.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              And in a year or two, our schedule will be full until 2014. Two years after that, it will be full until full until 2016. Under that scenario, we run the risk of p!ssing off enough citizens that the 2012 State Legislature or BOR mandates the game, and now not only do we have to play USD, but we probably have to buyout of another game that's scheduled. Foresight and leadership could save us money (see Wall Street). And like I said earlier, try to predict the behavior of a state legislature or BOR.

As for the SDSU administration digging in their heels and refusing to even discuss the possibility: LEADERS RARELY DIG IN THEIR HEELS. If they do, someone from behind will start leading. Usually leaders look ahead and start putting one foot in front of the other.

As for all the pie business, obviously there are quite a few members who want to discuss this topic, so if you want to talk about pie, start a thread on it and see how many want to discuss it. From what I can read here, many of the most intelligent and enjoyable posters on SDSU fans would rather ignore the future of SDSU football and discuss pie and beer.
                              They aren't ignoring the future of SDSU football, the schedule is full until 2012 so why even bring up this topic? Most people on this board, myself included, don't want the game with USD to happen. The scenario you suggested isn't going to happen, it's unrealistic, a million will not be made of this game because fans won't buy $50 tickets, hell they barely buy ones that are less than half that. I won't pay $300 to have a tailgating spot, most people won't not with BWWs and other places in the vicinity.

The thing is, most SDSU fans don't want to play USD in Sioux Falls and share the profit with them, we want the game to be at CAS, not on a neutral field. In a few years when they get themselves established, then maybe we can discuss moving the game to Sioux Falls, until then, if they want to play us so badly then can come to Brookings and our field.

I'm sick of people saying legislature is going to step in on this, the legislature has no business in this matter, they should focus on what they were elected for, government, not a sports event between two schools, so what if they are state funded, they still shouldn't force the two schools to play each other. I recently saw that a Texas senator proposed a playoff system for the BCS, this coming in a huge recession where there is a (I believe) 800 billion bailout on the table. Focus on that and getting this country back to what it was, not a stupid playoff that you have no control over. If legislatures want to control who plays who in football or basketball, get out of the government business and into the AD business.

As for the pie thing, I found it humorous. Most posters realized this thread was dead and only you were carrying on this hope that won't happen. I vote to kill this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                From what I can read here, many of the most intelligent and enjoyable posters on SDSU fans would rather ignore the future of SDSU football and discuss pie and beer.
                                "I like pie" is a discussion board euphemism that means the discussion has run its course.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...I%20like%20pie
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X