Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I don't think we need USD either, and frankly I'm not excited about playing them again in Football.

However, with that being said there is a pretty good chance (I would just about bet my house on it) this series will continue again at some point in the next 10 years. Does anyone really disagree with that?

I see 2 possible outcomes:

SDSU leverages the leadership they showed in moving to DI to establish a football-palooza in SF every 2 years and makes a bunch of money by "sleeping with their ex girlfriend."

SDSU loses all leverage and goes back to home/home games with USD, losing a home game payday every other year while subjecting our student-athletes and fans to one of the worst atmospheres around.

Which would you rather have?
    Neither! I would rather have pie!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I don't think we need USD either, and frankly I'm not excited about playing them again in Football.

However, with that being said there is a pretty good chance (I would just about bet my house on it) this series will continue again at some point in the next 10 years. Does anyone really disagree with that?

I see 2 possible outcomes:

SDSU leverages the leadership they showed in moving to DI to establish a football-palooza in SF every 2 years and makes a bunch of money by "sleeping with their ex girlfriend."

SDSU loses all leverage and goes back to home/home games with USD, losing a home game payday every other year while subjecting our student-athletes and fans to one of the worst atmospheres around.

Which would you rather have?
      I agree that they will renew the series, and we should renew it. I just don't think we need to go out of our way to accomocate them now. By 2012-2013 I think it will be time to get it back.
      If we hold the leverage, I think we could negotiate a home/away with USD where their "home" would be Howard Wood, and our home would be CAS. The Dump just doesn't hold enough fans for the size of that game.
      I don't think it would be that big of a money maker in SF if Howard Wood seats less that CAS does, and if we are splitting revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        That "if you want to be the best, play the best" line is a nice sentiment. But if you want to be the best, you have to make the playoffs first. The proof of the truth of that lies in the schedules of ALL the other MVFC teams. The conference is too tough. Play in the best conference and play two top-five non-conference games, and you will likely not make the playoffs. We proved that... a few weeks ago.

And citing the NDSU game as evidence of how we can draw after Hobo Day is just false logic. That was our biggest rival in a trophy game. It's the exception that proves the rule. The proof that we can't draw after Hobo Day with the current strategy is in the numbers I already posted.

SF_Rabbit_Fan is right. We're going to play USD again eventually. It's just going to happen. These discussions always get fouled up with personal feelings about USD. I grew up here. I lived that stuff for literally 25 years then moved away for 15. I'm over it. And we're going to have to get over it at some point. My argument is that playing USD isn't such a bad thing, given the situation we find ourselves in vis-a-vis late season attendance and non-conference scheduling. It could be a great benefit to us. It would be fun to beat them, wouldn't it?
        We'll need to shift around the MVFC conference schedule a bit. But yes, Yotes in for a NOV game with no additional marketing (Cereal, Beef, Hobo Day) could create a 10K + crowd. I'd be for a 2 fer 1 tho on going down to Vermin town, or just buy the games.

Comment

That "if you want to be the best, play the best" line is a nice sentiment. But if you want to be the best, you have to make the playoffs first. The proof of the truth of that lies in the schedules of ALL the other MVFC teams. The conference is too tough. Play in the best conference and play two top-five non-conference games, and you will likely not make the playoffs. We proved that... a few weeks ago.

And citing the NDSU game as evidence of how we can draw after Hobo Day is just false logic. That was our biggest rival in a trophy game. It's the exception that proves the rule. The proof that we can't draw after Hobo Day with the current strategy is in the numbers I already posted.

SF_Rabbit_Fan is right. We're going to play USD again eventually. It's just going to happen. These discussions always get fouled up with personal feelings about USD. I grew up here. I lived that stuff for literally 25 years then moved away for 15. I'm over it. And we're going to have to get over it at some point. My argument is that playing USD isn't such a bad thing, given the situation we find ourselves in vis-a-vis late season attendance and non-conference scheduling.
          Obviously we agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion, and I see what you are saying. But I think the "be the best/play the best" mentality has gotten SDSU to where we are now. We can play with anyone in the country, and we fear nobody. The first year of playoff eligibility we were one game away from the playoffs. 3 losses came to playoff teams, and another came to Iowa State. That gets recruits in the door, and when we make the playoffs, we know that we can beat anyone because we will play the best teams.
          Our Yote fan even brought it up, a loss to UW LaCrosse still stings.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
            Obviously we agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion, and I see what you are saying. But I think the "be the best/play the best" mentality has gotten SDSU to where we are now. We can play with anyone in the country, and we fear nobody. The first year of playoff eligibility we were one game away from the playoffs. 3 losses came to playoff teams, and another came to Iowa State. That gets recruits in the door, and when we make the playoffs, we know that we can beat anyone because we will play the best teams.
            Our Yote fan even brought it up, a loss to UW LaCrosse still stings.
            I'm thinking that getting into the playoffs would bring more recruits in the door than a slogan that explains why you didn't make the playoffs. Nobody's saying we should play LaCrosse (or Quincy as WIU did).

Believe me, I'm not the only one who questions the wisdom, now that we're in the MVFC, of playing such a brutal non-conference schedule. I've heard the same thing from coaches and players. We play a lot of great teams in the MVFC. Then you add an FBS game.

And maybe one Cal Poly-type opponent. Even with one lesser FCS opponent, we'd be playing a tougher schedule than anyone else in the MVFC.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here are some FACTS about the crowds that the SDSU vs. USD game drew in the recent past:

SDSU vs. USD

2003 at Vermillion - 8,681 (our largest home crowd in '03 -- NW Missouri State 8,697 - St. Cloud 8,464 - Hobo Day)

2002 at Brookings - 5,023 (our largest home crowds in '02 -- Chadron State - 6,196, UNO - 7,581, UND - 11,581 - Hobo Day)

2001 at Vermillion - 7,284 (our largest home crowds in '01 -- St. Cloud 9,323 - Augie -12,418 - Hobo Day)

2000 at Brookings - 6,112 (our largest home crowds in '00 -- Northern Colorado 7,623 - Minnesota State 10,145 - Hobo Day)

1999 at Vermillion - 6,412 (our largest home corwds in '99 -- Augie 10,114 - North Dakota 10,193 - Hobo Day)

One of my degrees is in History.

Go State!

Comment

SF_Rabbit_Fan is right. We're going to play USD again eventually. It's just going to happen. My argument is that it isn't such a bad thing, given the situation we find ourselves in vis-a-vis late season attendance and non-conference scheduling.
                Let's see if we can continue to breath some life into this dead horse.

JimmyJack, you have access to the numbers. I agree with what you say that our attendance goes down after Hobo Day but what are the numbers going through transition. We certainly drew more this year than in the past. Now, you may have to throw the last game out due to the awful weather. Overall, its a decent trend.

Winning and being in the hunt for the conference is the key. Over time, more and more Jacks fans will come around.

Now take that, ummmppphhhhh. The horse is dead again.

SUPERBUNNY

Aren't we going the right direction in attendance? There is a buzz like never before in my lifetime.
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Does Sept. 2nd, 2006 ring a bell? Wisconsin-LaCrosse at CAS

At least USD wins when they schedule a lower division team.

LaCrosse????????????/ hahahahahaha
                  Does 2003 ring a bell for you yoteforever? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The Yotes lost to Lacrosse in 2003 then almost lost again the following year winning by one. Get a life dude, with short memory.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjack View Post
                    how does that help us get into the playoffs again?
                    by beating them

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                      Here are some FACTS about the crowds that the SDSU vs. USD game drew in the recent past:

SDSU vs. USD

2003 at Vermillion - 8,681 (our largest home crowd in '03 -- NW Missouri State 8,697 - St. Cloud 8,464 - Hobo Day)

2002 at Brookings - 5,023 (our largest home crowds in '02 -- Chadron State - 6,196, UNO - 7,581, UND - 11,581 - Hobo Day)

2001 at Vermillion - 7,284 (our largest home crowds in '01 -- St. Cloud 9,323 - Augie -12,418 - Hobo Day)

2000 at Brookings - 6,112 (our largest home crowds in '00 -- Northern Colorado 7,623 - Minnesota State 10,145 - Hobo Day)

1999 at Vermillion - 6,412 (our largest home corwds in '99 -- Augie 10,114 - North Dakota 10,193 - Hobo Day)

One of my degrees is in History.

Go State!
                      Nice numbers research, but its not an apples to apples comparison. DI SDSU attendance is not the same as DII SDSU attendance. I think we can all agree on that.

Not saying I want to go play USD next year, I'm just saying if you think we are only gonna have 5000 at Coughlin the next time we play them your crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                        Nice numbers research, but its not an apples to apples comparison. DI SDSU attendance is not the same as DII SDSU attendance. I think we can all agree on that.

Not saying I want to go play USD next year, I'm just saying if you think we are only gonna have 5000 at Coughlin the next time we play them your crazy.

I think the numbers suggest that in the past this game was just another game in our schedule and not the "super game" every year that some "remember". Although some of the games over a 100 + year history were indeed super, many more were not (from an attendance stand point). If you look you will see that in the last five years that the SDSU vs. USD game was played it was not the largest crowd of the year for us in any of those years. Heck, in most cases it didn't even finish #2.

Once the "newness" of playing wears off the history suggests that it is likely not a "Million Dollar Game". That was my point.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                          I think the numbers suggest that in the past this game was just another game in our schedule and not the "super game" every year that some "remember". Although some of the games over a 100 + year history were indeed super, many more were not.

Once the "newness" of playing wears off the history suggests that it is likely not a "Million Dollar Game". That was my point.

Go State!
                          You damn logical people always try to ruin arguments with facts. Knock it off and let the emotions run wild. People always make the most rational and best decisions when they let their emotions decide things for them. We need Udot on our schedule so we can kick their butts!! That and only that will prove to the whole world that we are the best university in the state of SD.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            You damn logical people always try to ruin arguments with facts. Knock it off and let the emotions run wild. People always make the most rational and best decisions when they let their emotions decide things for them. We need Udot on our schedule so we can kick their butts!! That and only that will prove to the whole world that we are the best university in the state of SD.
                            Hatred and emotions I can somewhat ignore. My stance of playing the U comes down to 2 things:
                            -Money
                            -Saving money on travel, nice little bus ride down I29 rather than a 1000 mile flight.
                            -More opponent fans at games. Remember the last home NDSU game? Its nice to have opposing fans at the game so we can take their money. Not saying the Yote fans travel like the Bison fans, but there will be more than a few hundred like when we play UCA or SFA.
                            -Playoffs
                            -We have too tough of a conference schedule plus an FBS to not have an easier opponent compared against consistent top 15 competition like this season. The he-man play the best in the country every week approach will do nothing but wear us down and probably cost us the playoffs.
                            -Playoffs being said, the U will need to be at least a counter for us. And we don't have any room on the schedule for 5 years anyway. So I figure adding them around 2013 would be about right.

Comment

OK.... SDSU should not play usd over a FBS game.... FBS offer money (more then a USD game) plus exposure, and its a win win thing.... If they win they are a story, if they loose well they were suppose to soo no big deal.... playing USD would be like a FBS game for the U... they win its a story, they loose well they were suppose to..... Now in 4-5 years I wouldn't be against scheduling USD for a home game here or there as the schedule fits.... But don't play the game in Sioux Falls, and until USD is a credited, full pledged school that has came to CAS a couple times, don't even discuss going to the Dump....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                OK.... SDSU should not play usd over a FBS game....

Oh really, why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X