Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    I may be wrong, but you can plan on paying $60 at the Gophers game next year.
    That's a TOTALLY different ballgame in a TOTALLY different stadium, you can't even compare the two.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The million dollar game, I am sorry to say couldn't work for many reasons that have already been said.
      I think the bigger question is why should SDSU give USD the satisfaction of giving them a game? We gain absolutely nothing by playing them now. Our average attendence is up without USD. I think our fans like playing teams like Cal-Poly, UNI, McNeese, etc. To me it is more fun to beat a team from other parts of the country, who supposedly have better athletes than we do. It isn't much fun beating a team we should beat, that did us no favors when we went d1.
      I have a good friend who played at NDSU, and they are going through the same issue with UND. He says there is a push by some fans to play UND, but most of their fans LOVE the friendly rivalry that has grown between SDSU and NDSU.
      I say keep growing the NDSU rivalry, forget USD. We are only doing them a favor by renewing the series at this point and time. I say we schedule them when it benefits us as much as it benefits them.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
        The million dollar game, I am sorry to say couldn't work for many reasons that have already been said.
        I think the bigger question is why should SDSU give USD the satisfaction of giving them a game? We gain absolutely nothing by playing them now. Our average attendence is up without USD. I think our fans like playing teams like Cal-Poly, UNI, McNeese, etc. To me it is more fun to beat a team from other parts of the country, who supposedly have better athletes than we do. It isn't much fun beating a team we should beat, that did us no favors when we went d1.
        I have a good friend who played at NDSU, and they are going through the same issue with UND. He says there is a push by some fans to play UND, but most of their fans LOVE the friendly rivalry that has grown between SDSU and NDSU.
        I say keep growing the NDSU rivalry, forget USD. We are only doing them a favor by renewing the series at this point and time. I say we schedule them when it benefits us as much as it benefits them.
        I like your style!

Comment

rep points for you

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think the bigger question is why should SDSU give USD the satisfaction of giving them a game? We gain absolutely nothing by playing them now. Our average attendence is up without USD.
            Not after Hobo Day it's not. Obviously we can't play them until 2013 at least. But the fact is our post-Hobo Day attendance is dismal.

8,311 for Cal Poly a team we fans allegedly love (they're a favorite of mine, but clearly are not a draw here)
            6,117 for MVFC foe Missouri State on an absolutely perfect day
            3,276 for MVFC foe Illinois State on a nasty day

I'm sure we'd draw more for USD post Hobo Day no matter the weather. So it's not quite true to say we gain nothing. Obviously, though, nothing is going to happen until at least 2013.

The other thing we'd gain is a game that would be a slight breather from the MVFC gauntlet. Sure we want to play top competition, but it makes no sense to get beat up in conference play and then have two top-5 non-conference foes (at the time we played them.) NDSU played Central Connecticut and Austin Peay in non-conference. There's no law that says we HAVE to play two top-ten non-conference teams every year.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

IMO, the opportunity for a renewal of the instate rivalry game went the way of the Betamax when they dismissed the idea of SDSU going D1.

As far as the scheduling of a "rest" game, I would rather watch the Jacks play a tough schedule and get an opportunity to see top tier teams from across the country. Even playing those top teams, the Jacks still had a chance for a playoff appearace. Unlike the upper divison there are no polls to be worried about.

The only way that the Jacks should have the u on our schedule is if they are in the same conference. Until then, lets use the open dates to schedule teams that will make us better...
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                IMO, the opportunity for a renewal of the instate rivalry game went the way of the Betamax when they dismissed the idea of SDSU going D1.

As far as the scheduling of a "rest" game, I would rather watch the Jacks play a tough schedule and get an opportunity to see top tier teams from across the country. Even playing those top teams, the Jacks still had a chance for a playoff appearace. Unlike the upper divison there are no polls to be worried about.

The only way that the Jacks should have the u on our schedule is if they are in the same conference. Until then, lets use the open dates to schedule teams that will make us better...
                The two non-conference losses clearly kept us out of the playoffs this year. Take a look at how the other MVFC teams schedule their non-conference (non-FBS) games:

UNI: South Dakota, Southern Utah
                SIU: Hampton, North Dakota
                WIU: Quincy, Stephen F. Austin
                NDSU: Central Connecticut, Austin Peay
                Missouri State: Washburn, Southeast Missouri State
                Illinois State: Murray State, Eastern Illinois
                Indiana State: Eastern Illinois, Southeast Missouri State

SDSU: Cal Poly, McNeese State, SFA

I count exactly two games against top FCS programs in the entire MVFC non-conference schedule. And we played them both.

How does that help us get into the playoffs again?
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  The two non-conference losses clearly kept us out of the playoffs this year. Take a look at how the other MVFC teams schedule their non-conference (non-FBS) games:

UNI: South Dakota, Southern Utah
                  SIU: Hampton, North Dakota
                  WIU: Quincy, Stephen F. Austin
                  NDSU: Central Connecticut, Austin Peay
                  Missouri State: Washburn, Southeast Missouri State
                  Illinois State: Murray State, Eastern Illinois
                  Indiana State: Eastern Illinois, Southeast Missouri State

SDSU: Cal Poly, McNeese State, SFA

I count exactly two games against top FCS programs in the entire MVFC non-conference schedule. And we played them both.

How does that help us get into the playoffs again?
                  I see your reasoning, but I also like the saying "In order to be the best, you beat the best" and I think that is our mentality right now.

Comment

No one is trying to take away any of the fond memories we have of the numerous victories over Udot. The atmosphere for most fans was great. Speak to the players and coaches who had to travel to Vermillion and you won't hear the same. I have many friends who played football and basketball in the late 80's and early 90's and none of them enjoyed playing in Vermillion. For them it was another game on the schedule in a crummy facility with no security and no respect for visiting teams. For the Udot it was "the game of the year". Its as simple as the move to DI itself was for us to make. I move that we don't even discuss it here anymore. I don't care how Udot fans, coaches or athletes interpret that. They are relevant when it comes to discussing future schedules. If they become relevant then we put them on the schedule, play the games, and beat them like we always have.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      We could play them on the pheasant opener every year.... AT CAS..... Dude the legislature isn't going to get involved.... the BOR isn't going to get involved, as long as SDSU is bringing in good teams to CAS they won't... now if we start scheduling like Udot and seeing how many NAIA schools we can get into CAS I could maybe see them doing something.... but there is no way somebody is going to come in and say you have to play at the dome.... all what SDSU has to do is say well you know we do average about 10,000 a game.... thats more then the inflated total Udot reports every game....

Does Sept. 2nd, 2006 ring a bell? Wisconsin-LaCrosse at CAS

At least USD wins when they schedule a lower division team.

LaCrosse????????????/ hahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Not after Hobo Day it's not. Obviously we can't play them until 2013 at least. But the fact is our post-Hobo Day attendance is dismal.

8,311 for Cal Poly a team we fans allegedly love (they're a favorite of mine, but clearly are not a draw here)
                        6,117 for MVFC foe Missouri State on an absolutely perfect day
                        3,276 for MVFC foe Illinois State on a nasty day

I'm sure we'd draw more for USD post Hobo Day no matter the weather. So it's not quite true to say we gain nothing. Obviously, though, nothing is going to happen until at least 2013.

The other thing we'd gain is a game that would be a slight breather from the MVFC gauntlet. Sure we want to play top competition, but it makes no sense to get beat up in conference play and then have two top-5 non-conference foes (at the time we played them.) NDSU played Central Connecticut and Austin Peay in non-conference. There's no law that says we HAVE to play two top-ten non-conference teams every year.
                        Sorry, we don't need USD for football. If we win, the fans will show up regardless who we play. NDSU last year we had 16345 fans. If we played USD that same weekend how many more fans would have showed up? I don't think that many. I know there is a lot of nostalgia about playing USD. To me USD is like a psycho ex-girlfriend. She went nuts when you dumped her, says nothing but bad things about you, keeps track of every move you make, won't shut up about you to her friends, but would give anything to get you back in her life. All the while we have moved on to the hotter and smarter woman. Why go backwards?

As far as playing top ten non-conference teams, in my opinion, if you want to be the best, you play the best. That is a good recruiting tool right now, here at SDSU you have a chance to play some of the best competition week in and week out. We don't have the facilities right now, so we have to use stuff like that to get quality kids in here.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          Does Sept. 2nd, 2006 ring a bell? Wisconsin-LaCrosse at CAS

At least USD wins when they schedule a lower division team.

LaCrosse????????????/ hahahahahaha
                          Not a smack thread.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            Dude the legislature isn't going to get involved.... the BOR isn't going to get involved, as long as SDSU is bringing in good teams to CAS they won't...
                            When reading this I thought I was in some sort of time warp on a Iowa Hawkeyes forum 10 years ago...

Recent and not so recent history tells me that it would be quite difficult to predict how the BOR much the legislature would act in regards to the state's two largest universities and DI athletics...
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Sorry, we don't need USD for football. If we win, the fans will show up regardless who we play. NDSU last year we had 16345 fans. If we played USD that same weekend how many more fans would have showed up? I don't think that many. I know there is a lot of nostalgia about playing USD. To me USD is like a psycho ex-girlfriend. She went nuts when you dumped her, says nothing but bad things about you, keeps track of every move you make, won't shut up about you to her friends, but would give anything to get you back in her life. All the while we have moved on to the hotter and smarter woman. Why go backwards?

As far as playing top ten non-conference teams, in my opinion, if you want to be the best, you play the best. That is a good recruiting tool right now, here at SDSU you have a chance to play some of the best competition week in and week out. We don't have the facilities right now, so we have to use stuff like that to get quality kids in here.
                              I don't think we need USD either, and frankly I'm not excited about playing them again in Football.

However, with that being said there is a pretty good chance (I would just about bet my house on it) this series will continue again at some point in the next 10 years. Does anyone really disagree with that?

I see 2 possible outcomes:

SDSU leverages the leadership they showed in moving to DI to establish a football-palooza in SF every 2 years and makes a bunch of money by "sleeping with their ex girlfriend."

SDSU loses all leverage and goes back to home/home games with USD, losing a home game payday every other year while subjecting our student-athletes and fans to one of the worst atmospheres around.

Which would you rather have?
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

That "if you want to be the best, play the best" line is a nice sentiment. But if you want to be the best, you have to make the playoffs first. The proof of the truth of that lies in the schedules of ALL the other MVFC teams. The conference is too tough. Play in the best conference and play two top-five non-conference games, and you will likely not make the playoffs. We proved that... a few weeks ago.

And citing the NDSU game as evidence of how we can draw after Hobo Day is just false logic. That was our biggest rival in a trophy game. It's the exception that proves the rule. The proof that we can't draw after Hobo Day with the current strategy is in the numbers I already posted.

SF_Rabbit_Fan is right. We're going to play USD again eventually. It's just going to happen. These discussions always get fouled up with personal feelings about USD. I grew up here. I lived that stuff for literally 25 years then moved away for 15. I'm over it. And we're going to have to get over it at some point. My argument is that playing USD isn't such a bad thing, given the situation we find ourselves in vis-a-vis late season attendance and non-conference scheduling. It could be a great benefit to us. It would be fun to beat them, wouldn't it?
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X