Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
    anybody have an updated commitment list? Feb. 4th is coming quick.
    Try the 1st page of this thread. B-Town has been gracious of keeping it up-to-date.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

TV's latest Blog entry. Very good quotes from Jake Weiss!

Who's going to run the daily countdown until Georgia Southern at CAS next September??

Okay, Okay, maybe it is a BIT early.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

TV's latest Blog entry. Very good quotes from Jake Weiss!

Who's going to run the daily countdown until Georgia Southern at CAS next September??

Okay, Okay, maybe it is a BIT early.

Go Jacks!!
        Great stuff right there! Definitely worth your time to read.

Comment

Looks like Stig is getting some quality athletes even though our scholarship numbers for this year are limited. Glad to hear Weiss has committed and hopefully this will help with the SF recruiting. Also, hope the coaches spend the night before letter day with Eric Koehlmoss from Pierce so our red a-hole buddies from the south of us don't pull another last minute deal like they did with Matt Holt last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
            Looks like Stig is getting some quality athletes even though our scholarship numbers for this year are limited. Glad to hear Weiss has committed and hopefully this will help with the SF recruiting. Also, hope the coaches spend the night before letter day with Eric Koehlmoss from Pierce so our red a-hole buddies from the south of us don't pull another last minute deal like they did with Matt Holt last year.
            You mean helping him fulfill a dream???? It's good you have the best interest of the student-athlete in mind. I would have loved to have Matt as a Jackrabbit, but you can't blame him for the decision he made or the Huskers for pursuing him. I would hope all of our recruits visit every school they may want to and then do what is best for them. If we keep playing the way we have the last 4 or 5 years, we wil be on the receiving end in those situatons!!
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              You mean helping him fulfill a dream???? It's good you have the best interest of the student-athlete in mind. I would have loved to have Matt as a Jackrabbit, but you can't blame him for the decision he made or the Huskers for pursuing him. I would hope all of our recruits visit every school they may want to and then do what is best for them. If we keep playing the way we have the last 4 or 5 years, we wil be on the receiving end in those situatons!!
              any D-I FCS gets mad when a large FBS school calls the night before signing day and offers a preferred walk-on spot, too one of your top recruits..... Its bs but at the same point I understand why they do it and why the athletes accept them.... The only way to stop this is to allow for an early signing period, but there isn't one....

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                I will fully defend J4L on this one. He isn't talking about the student athlete, he is talking about Bo Pelini and the UNL program. I for one agree and really hope we can avoid being burned in the future. It is never about the student athlete making his decision, but about the midnight phone call and sweeping in to get the recruit that is frustrating. But the red a-holes to our south (and for me to my north) are not our buddies that is for sure. We as fans from another regional school can blame them as much as we want and I for one will always take every chance I get to criticize the UNL Cornshuckers. There is not a team in sports that I despise more. Here is hoping to another thrashing of UNL at the hands of KU in Lawrence next year.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Nebraska lost a fan here over the way they perused Matt Holt at the 12th hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Nebraska lost a fan here over the way they perused Matt Holt at the 12th hour.
                    I agree. Didn't Holt play some last year? If so, good for him. That still makes him the exception in that ridiculous zillion player walk-on program. For Holt, it meant fulfilling a dream. For most of those kids, it means their dream to play D1 football dies. Almost none of them will ever set foot on the field on gameday. And they might have had nice careers (not to mention scholarships) somewhere else.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's my take. An SDSU coach, whose future employment is staked on the decisions of 18 year olds, spends an incredible amount "making friends" with a prospective athlete. Calls, letters and driving hundreds of miles, sometimes through awful conditions, to get that youngster to consider coming this way. During the course of the courtship, the young person leads the coach to believe they will be a Jackrabbit. All the hard work is paying off. There is joy. Then, at the last minute a white knight shows up and everything changes overnight.

Everyone applauds the youngster for living out his dream. In the meantime, the pursuing coach is devastated. Alumni and bloggers complain for letting a gifted athlete get away. Not able to respond, the coach endures restless nights suffering in silence.

And the band plays on.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I agree. Didn't Holt play some last year? If so, good for him. That still makes him the exception in that ridiculous zillion player walk-on program. For Holt, it meant fulfilling a dream. For most of those kids, it means their dream to play D1 football dies. Almost none of them will ever set foot on the field on gameday. And they might have had nice careers (not to mention scholarships) somewhere else.
                        I am not a fan of the walk-on program as UNL does it. It is one thing to invite a student-athlete to walk-on and do this early in the recruiting process due to limited scholcarships and everyone knows what is going on. But when the 11th hour stuff goes on, I think that sucks. We have lost a few good players, Ebke and Holt, but it really effects the smaller NE schools like UNO, Kearny State, Chadron etc and even Udot to some extent. They think they have a blue-chipper and here comes Dr. Tom's staff with a walk-on invite at the last minute and they are gone. I don't know how many walk-ons a school can have, but I would like to know how many stay with the program or ever see the field on gameday. If that is fullfilling their dream that is fine. I am not talking about the student-athletes here, just the method that UNL uses for their walk-ons.

Comment

Walk-on program is fine but stealing kids that have given a verbal literally the night before they sign the piece of paper is a little ridiculous, it would of been one thing if it was a month or 2 before, or 1 thing if they had been in contact over the situation, but when you do it the night before its getting into that gentle mens agreement between coaches not to actively recruit other coaches verbals...... Its one thing if these players have talked to the university since giving there verbal and actively trying to receive a walk on but when you call a kid the night before and say hey we want you to walk on here you've gone 2 far in my eyes....

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I agree. Didn't Holt play some last year? If so, good for him.
                            He didn't only play, he was the Big 12 defensive player of the week one week. Pretty amazing for a freshman linebacker.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I understand you guys are upset about what happened last year, but can we not turn a thread about something good for SDSU into yet another thread b*tching about something else. Don't tell me if I don't like it not to read it either, because this is about the only thread I read anymore cause all the other threads seem to have turned into sour grapes threads also.

Maybe the mods can create another area labeled "B*tches about other threads"

Comment

Video of Weiss http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...1435?done=true

Comment

Working...
                                X