• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana State Game Thread.

Good job rabbits! One game at a time.

Comment

Feeling alot of relief right now. There were some things we did very well and a few things we didn't.

I note that Catch 'em All and badrabbit have made a point about using the tight ends and Cochart's play supports that point.

Comment

Post game, Oster noted UNI's game hasn't started yet. BUT, ESPN reports UNI up 7-0 against Youngstown with 14:42 to go in the 2nd quarter.

Cheer for Youngstown!

Comment

Good game Jacks. Not a perfect game, but our confidence seems to be rattled a bit, but we can still regroup and end with a great season.

Comment

I had an opportunity to attend today's game. First off, shockingly low attendance and enthusiasm for a Homecoming game. Given the team's losing streak it seems that the students were more concerned about making it to all of the bars on the way to the stadium than the stadium itself. I had an opportunity to check out the Alumni Tent before the game and got to speak with President Chicoine and his wife before the game. Today's game was my first as an Alumn so entering the sacred tent was a big event for me!
            Speaking of Alumn, it was nice to see Adam Vinatieri standing on the SDSU sideline.

What I saw:

O-line recovered nicely after last week and allowed Berry to go down the progressions and check the 2nd and 3rd receivers.

Harris had a hard time getting open, which allowed Fox to get open and be productive. Fox's 39 yd TD catch was simply a result of him beating the coverage and getting open deep.

Defense did a good job of getting pressure on the QB early and brought him down many times early on. It says that the Sycamores have used four QBs this year, it showed on more than a few plays.

RB Minett was again impressive and fun to watch.

The D gave up a couple of second and third down conversions on short passes to the middle that turned into more than they should have by the Sycamore players' ability to beat our guys to the corner.

It was a fun game to be at. Everyone got in on the action. I'm glad the Jacks traveled so close so that I had an opportunity to catch them in action and did not have to read the threads or TV's live game blog...

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
              Cochart is the most athletic tight end that we have had in a long time in my opinion. Not sure how far he has come along run blocking wise but as far as athletic ability and hands, no doubt about it
              Ever heard of Chris Wagner? Or Steve Heiden? Oh hell, even Jakes Hines?(Just kidding Jake) How soon we forget.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                Ever heard of Chris Wagner? Or Steve Heiden? Oh hell, even Jakes Hines?(Just kidding Jake) How soon we forget.
                You have to remember...it's been 14 years since I suited up and 10 years since Heiden was on the field for SDSU...so not everyone has seen how great we were Granted, if I had been half as athletic as Heiden I may have been able to parlay that into a career like he has.

Great win for the Jacks though. Hopefully this will help build some confidence heading into the home stretch of the season. Games like this are always tough...you know you should win, and win big, but you also want to make sure everyone comes out healthy. And as far as building confidence, if they hadn't won big it might have been a little bit of a hit on the ego. Good thing is they put up some points like they should have.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Coverage from Terre Haute paper:

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local...yword=topstory
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Yeah my long time and your long time may be a little different but I played with both Wags and Cochart and personally think that Colin is more athletic, much faster, and has better hands. I think by the time he is a senior, if he becomes a good blocker, he will be a better overall tight end.

Comment

Just got back from the game in the Haute. The family enjoyed it especially staying in the same hotel with the team and boosters. My four year old daughter really was thrilled when one of the Jacks talked to her. Indiana State was a nice place with some friendly fans. We were invited into all the tailgate area tents despite our having SDSU gear on. They seemed resigned to the fact their team loses and some seem proud of the fact they have the longest losing streak in the nation. Some of the older alums question why they have football at all and want the money to go to the basketball teams. All in all I'd go back in 2010 (if their stadium is still standing). It was built in 1924 and like TV said the scoreboard looks likes its from the 40's. Daktronics should make a call.

Comment

Good to see you made it home safely SJ...in the bus after the game Nash Simets father said he sold that board to them twenty years ago...technology has changed so much in so little time.

Kinda funny how the ISU fans reacted to their team (i.e. "want a ISU treat (cup cake), even though we are going to kill you today?...Just kidding, we know your going to kick our rearends, your favored by 40. he, he, he).

People were fantastic, but was not a fan of Terre Haute though...city is definetly looking for a new identity.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                          Some of the older alums question why they have football at all and want the money to go to the basketball teams.
                          How would the extra money be used for basketball other than to build a new facility or hire a higher profile coach? I took a look at their website and they seem to have a nice facility for basketball that was built about the same time as Frost, but is much bigger and configured better by the facility photo at the offical website. I could not find an average attendence for home games but they seem to draw only about 3500 per home game. Some games such as the Conference tourney game with Drake drew about 7500. So attendence is not great either considering they produced a superstar in Larry Bird, but that was long ago.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArti...1097434#Hulman

I dont know if dropping football is a good idea. If there is a weak link in the MVC football, it appears to be Indiana State. I would hope Mr. Miles gets his football program going in the right direction. The costs/benefits of keeping the program might outweigh the savings in dropping the sport. You would need a plan here before proceeding.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-27-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

A write-up from Terry on the game. Make sure to hit the recommend button, even if you don't want to read the article.

Jackrabbits not satisfied after 49-9 win
                            Terry Vandrovec • October 26, 2008

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - Largest margin of victory in a road game in 30 years or not, South Dakota State wasn't satisfied with the way things played out in a 49-9 decision over Indiana State on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

But a win is a win, and in winning for the first time in nearly a month, the Jackrabbits snapped a two-game skid to improve to 3-1 in the Missouri Valley Football Conference with consecutive home games forthcoming.

"There's things that we can improve on, there's things we can get better at," junior linebacker Jimmy Rogers said. "Right now it's a win and we'll watch film and get better."

(read more)

Comment

Working...
                            X