Cal Poly Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly Game Thread

From Zimmer's bloggo...looks like he attended the game at CAS on Saturday night.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Seriously...not taking plastic at the ticket office???there is NOTHING more annoying IMO. And don't give me the "VISA charges us to us per transaction"...bump the ticket prices and dollar and you're covered...God that's annoying!!
    Personally, it's my dying wish that will someday I will never need to carry another dollar bill in my pocket ever again...but that's just me!

Thanks for coming up to CAS Zimmer...hopefully next year you can make Hobo Day...it's a sight!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
      Couple of comments on the crowd: Pheasant season will never be changed and scheduling games will never center around pheasant season. Just the way it is in South Dakota. Almost takes a family tragedy to pull people away from the pheasant opener.

Student section was whining about, bells, flags, towels etc. What student section? What few students did attend the game were long gone before anything was decided. Nearly 12,000 students and a very low percentage attend games other than Hobo Day.
      Thanksgiving seems to be a pretty big family holiday, but that doesn't keep the NFL from having 1:00 sell out games on Thanksgiving day... Christmas is a pretty big family holiday, but that doesn't stop the NBA from having sold out games on Christmas day...

But pheasant season opener (WHICH IS A 2 DAY EVENT) is just a holy grail that can't and shouldn't be touched by 1 lowly football game? (Not to mention that pheasant season lasts several months!)

The students were probably out hunting, and those that did make it probably left early to get ready to hunt on Sunday.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        I take slight offense to you calling my post crap when you were not here to participate in the game thread and understand the feeling we all had here on the board.
        My apologies KULJ...for not being more specific in my post. The "crap" I was referring to was your comment that high school teams could tackle better than SDSU's players. I still believe that is a crap comment that cheapens the rest of your post. But I probably overreacted to your post, just as you did to our tackling against CP. I understand how easy it is to get carried away...I do it a lot and have to do my best to avoid it.

One final comment on this thread: I think a lot of posters have forgotten that we graduated an outstanding "O" line last year and if you go back and review early posts in the football section you will see numerous concerns posted over how we would do on the offensive line this year. I think we were pretty decent through much of the earlier games (although we gave up 20 sacks in our first six games as well). First Scott Gillen went down, then Casey Bender and Casey Knips, and then Nate Koskovich. So while everybody was worrying about the return of injuries on the defensive side, I'm not sure everybody was understanding the difficulties on the O side. Granted and amen, 10 sacks is still absolutely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by packer_tattoo View Post
          FRIENDS??? Again, I say, ARE YOU KIDDING???? I don't know what you 'd call what goes on here FRIENDLY...but it ain't. Give it up. This is the virtual world and in this virtual world, friendship has nothing to do with it...
          Emotions are running a little high around here.

This board is a friendly board and I hope it stays that way. On May 21, 2006, filbert, the board's owner (in Iraq, he'd be the "mother of all Moderators -- hmmm....what the heck does that mean?!) posted some basic rules which are quoted below. Note his introductory sentence and his closing comment both refer to this baord remaining a friendly place for all SDSU fans.

I'm all for a spirited debate, letting off steam etc. but people have to make sure they don't step over the line. Where's the line? Perhaps there is no bright line and the "line" will form in the context of the subject matter and the discussion. But, read filbert's comments below. I think some of the posts in this thread have approached the line and have a foot, or at least a couple toes, over it.

Here's what filbert wrote ( in this thread )

As this Forum grows, it is clear that some kind of framework for moderation going forward is required, in order to keep this an interesting, informative, and friendly place for all SDSU fans.

Should a moderator become aware of postings which either a) violate the User Agreement and/or b) violate the fairly simple "be nice" rule, this disciplinary framework is available to the moderator:

1) In-Thread Suggestion. All Forum users should pay very close attention when a moderator suggests a modification of behavior, attitude, or tone of conversation in a thread.

2) Public warning. Should the moderator's general suggestion to modify behavior be insufficient, a public in-thread warning may, at the moderator's discretion, be issued.

3) Final public warning. Should the undesirable behavior continue, a moderator may, at his/her sole discretion, issue a final public in-thread warning to modify the behavior.

4) Restriction of posting/viewing rights. This may be a suspension of posting rights or banning of a user from this forum. The restriction may be temporary (a "time-out&quot or it may be permanent. Disciplinary action is at the moderator's sole discretion, and there is no appeal of a disciplinary decision.

Please note that this is a framework, not a hard-and-fast procedure. Certain behaviors will result in immediate suspension or banning, at the moderator's sole discretion. Suggestions and warnings are a COURTESY extended by the moderators to the user--the moderators are not required to issue suggestions and warnings. Moderators are free to use their discretion as they see fit to keep this Forum an open, informative, friendly, and welcoming place for all users.
          Last edited by JackJD; 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            Very funny you posted grades. I was going to do the same thing. I would give the QB play a D/D- and the offensive line an F/F/F (because there's nothing lower). A couple of other things:

1 - Either quit scheduling teams that play this offensive scheme or get some athletic guys who can handle it. We're a smash mouth kind of defense, and this is a bad match week after week.

2 - That being said, we are NEVER prepared for it. That's poor coaching. It's like we're surprised at what they do.

3 - The defense, while it has some great players, gives up a ton of yards game after game. I'm not accustomed to it and don't want to become so.

4 - Ryan had (another) rough game. However, the O line was just horrible...beat up or not. Ryan, though, continues to make crucial turnovers and either isn't allowed to or can't/won't change plays when the defense dictates he should. Also, he seems to lack a feel in the pocket of when pressure is closing in on him. On the rare occasions he has time, that leads to his holding the ball too long.

4B - Horrible, horrible play-calling. When the rush is coming like that to not even have the option of a hot read or short route...to continue to send all of the receivers deep almost exclusively is just stupid. No other word.

5 - I know the TE needs to stay in to help block, but we never even look at him as a threat.
            I agree 100 % with your assessment. Short 5-7 yard pass routes would cut down on almost every sack. Look for more than one receiver. QB roll out and don't stand stationary. Use two TE and two WR. Forget that 3 reciever set. The D just loads up and blitz's and gets the sack. The O line isn't that bad.
            It's THE PLAY CALLING AND THE FORMATIONS WE USE. Send a TE or both TE'S on short 5-7 yard routes. SenD out one TE AND both WR on short patterns. The QB would not get sacked. This would open up the whole offense. Now this is just some suggestions. GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              AMEN!

Some of the same posters that are knocking Ryan this week were strangely silent last week when Jimmy dropped 2 game winning Int's in overtime? I wonder if our friends to the North would take our QB right now (their's not only gets sacked a lot, but he throws a lot more picks)? Has anyone thought that if he tries to throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing, we probably would have given up at least a few fumbles?

The loss wasn't Ryan's fault, it wasn't the O line's fault, it wasn't the Defense's fault, it wasn't special teams fault, it wasn't the coaches fault the whole team has areas where it could improve if we want to be a top 5 team. To try to pin it on one guy or one unit is ridiculous.

One last thing, anyone who thinks the coaching staff has done anything less than outstanding through the transition and this season needs to have their head checked. Financially, facilities, and attendance are not anywhere near NDSU, Cal Poly, McNeese, or UNI, and we are competing with these programs. Do you suppose that is because we are such great fans or because the admin, coaching staff, and players truly give everything they have every day they come to work?

I think it is sad that many fans who ACTUALLY SHOW UP for our home games choose to jeer their own team louder than they cheer for it. Many people sitting around me were extremely vocal after botched plays, but sat on their hands when our defense was trying to stop them on 3rd down????? Similar behavior to what I have witnessed at Men's bball games for the last 5 years.
              BINGO! Points awarded!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Thanksgiving seems to be a pretty big family holiday, but that doesn't keep the NFL from having 1:00 sell out games on Thanksgiving day... Christmas is a pretty big family holiday, but that doesn't stop the NBA from having sold out games on Christmas day...

But pheasant season opener (WHICH IS A 2 DAY EVENT) is just a holy grail that can't and shouldn't be touched by 1 lowly football game? (Not to mention that pheasant season lasts several months!)

The students were probably out hunting, and those that did make it probably left early to get ready to hunt on Sunday.
                The pheasant opener is a tough one to negotiate. The problem is that the football schedules are made long before the pheasant opener is decided. Not sure if the Summitt League will work with SDSU to try and schedule road games on that date. There are others that have that info on here. It is good that they make the game a night game so that some can come after the hunt.

Unless the Ringneck Pheasant goes away neither will this issue. Let's come back and have a strong attendance at the next home game.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 10-20-2008, 02:56 PM.
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The Indiana St game could not come at a better time. The team has the look and feel of a team trying to drop an anchor in a rushing current. I just think our Offense lacks an identity and direction a lot of the time. Are we a running team or are we a passing team? I think that changes every game and not always because of what the situation dictates. For instance, the Cal Poly game we absolutely abandoned the run for the middle two quarters of the game. When we finally return to the running game, we start b-bopping and scatting all the way down the field for a solid "we're back in this puppy" TD. But, when Rogers picks off a pass resulting in us getting the ball at the Poly 45 (if memory serves me) we attempt 3 straight passes resulting in 2 sacks, followed up by a blocked punt.

If there was ever a time to break their will and solidfy momentum with a punishing "we're running this ball all the way to the endzone" drive, that's the time to do it. Instead, momentum swings back in their favor and we're back down 3 scores.

To emphasize the point even further, we take the ball right back and employ another great mix of pass and run, blowing open some big runs of 5-10 yards all the way down for another score. What do we do when we get the onside kick down 2 scores with plenty of time on the board? We are sacked 3 straight times.

Again, the team is not exactly running out the starting 22 we envisioned at the beginning of the season and the side effects of that were very apparent in the last 2 games. Our D looks like they are completely out of synch. That's what happens when there are new guys running out for every game. You need a fluid unit on D when you play a gap control style of D. We haven't had that since the first half of the WIU game and the D has not been the same since.

Same can be said for our O. The O-line has been very eratic. They look amazing on one series only to look completely overmatched the next. I think Berry has played very well considering most of the past 3 games it was an almost sure bet he was going to be passing most of the time. We need to get back to establishing the run, building off that and controlling the tempo of the game instead of reacting to it. Man do I sound cliche.

...and how about passing to the TE once in a while (couldn't help myself - even Zimmer said something in his blog and he's been to 1 game)
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    The problem is that the football schedules are made long before the pheasant opener is decided.
                    The Pheasant Opener is always the third Sat. of October. Has been for as long as I have been hunting and I don't think there is any reason to change that. I thought maybe the coach got a bye week the week before the opener since that is open for residents on public ground so the players could do some hunting. Probably has nothing to do with it.

Comment

I can assure you that the SDSU athletic department knows better than to schedule a home game on opening pheasant weekend. This year it couldn't be helped though because its our first year in the MVFC. We had an agreement to play Cal Poly in Brookings and this was the only weekend we could find after the conference schedule was set.

In my opinion I feel we should schedule Hobo Day or the NDSU game on the opening pheasant season weekend and then see what happens. Wait a second, we are doing that next year! The NDSU game is Oct. 17th next year, followed by Hobo Day on Oct. 24th.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        I can assure you that the SDSU athletic department knows better than to schedule a home game on opening pheasant weekend. This year it couldn't be helped though because its our first year in the MVFC. We had an agreement to play Cal Poly in Brookings and this was the only weekend we could find after the conference schedule was set.

In my opinion I feel we should schedule Hobo Day or the NDSU game on the opening pheasant season weekend and then see what happens. Wait a second, we are doing that next year! The NDSU game is Oct. 17th next year, followed by Hobo Day on Oct. 24th.

Pheasant opener just might work... How much are licenses for out-of-staters???

Comment

Two Linkys For Stories From Monday's Brookings Register:
                          http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3247&page=77

http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3243&page=77

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                            Meh - if you have enough fans, you'll have more than enough different points of view. My response to this post...

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14155
                            So what's your take on the newest in the Fargo Forum? Pulling a redshirt with 4 games left on a season where the playoffs are pretty much out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                              Pheasant opener just might work... How much are licenses for out-of-staters???
                              I was going to say $100 but I had to look it up. It is $110 for non-resident. I was right with my thought you get 2 five day hunting periods. You have to pick the dates when you apply.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                                So what's your take on the newest in the Fargo Forum? Pulling a redshirt with 4 games left on a season where the playoffs are pretty much out of the question.

That's a tough call and I don't admire the decisionmaker's position. I don't buy into the idea that this season is wasted / over and it's time to just suck it up and prepare for the future. If Mohler is the #2 QB and his services are needed in order to win out, then so be it.

Four games is still almost half a season - that makes for plenty of playing time. I'd be ashamed of a program that would 'throw away' four games in order to be in some sort of theoretical 'better position' next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X