Cal Poly Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly Game Thread

Ryan seems to pass better into the wind. With the wind he overthrows a fair amount. And both of last night's picks were loft jobs with the wind. People are rough on him, it's true. I've already posted my O line grade of F/F/F last night, but that being said...I hoped from more from him as a returning starter and senior. It doesn't help we play against much more ahtletic quarterbacks week in and week out. So we have a matter of recruiting, too. Ryan hasn't been helped by the play-calling this year...or by too many dropped balls. He is inconsistant, though. And he has a propencity to throw picks/fumble at the worst possible times. And lastly...as is always the case...the QB always gets the most heat...and the most credit.

On an unrelated note, Poly's fullback dive got way, WAY too many yards each time it was run last night.
    Last edited by JackFan96; 10-19-2008, 01:08 PM.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I think if we crunched the number of yards the D has allowed per game this year...it would be pretty bad. First half...Poly scored on four of five possessions. That's not good.

EDIT: OK...just checked the D stats...giving up 34.7 points per game (pretty bad) and 390.6 yards per game (not good, although within a yard of what we get on O). For what it's worth, I guess.

Originally posted by ivandrago View Post
      Forgive me, BHM, but I must disagree on both accounts.

Granted Berry threw two picks and struggled at times, but he also looked very good at times. He was 19-for-33 with three or four drops thrown in. So he should've completed 70 percent of his passes while getting sacked 10 times. He certainly wasn't perfect, but I don't think we can really blame Berry.

As for the defense, it really wasn't that bad. Yes, they allowed 419 yards, including the one big play. But twice they held Poly to field goals inside the 20. Four times Poly started in SDSU territory and scored three touchdowns.

We lost the turnover battle and special teams killed us. Those two things decided the game.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I am shocked at what i am reading on this message board and i really question the football intelligence of the people that post. Ryan Berry is taking alot of heat on this board and is basically being called out as the person to blame, not only for the cal poly game but for everything that has gone wrong with the team. Last night the kid threw for 260 yards and 3 touchdowns while being sacked 10 times. YES 10 TIMES. you want to say he holds on to the ball too long. have you ever thought that maybe the receivers are not open. he is trying to make something happen. do you want him to throw it away everytime there is pressure. can you recall how many times he threw to a receiver that was WIDE open. every throw had to be perfect last night. and this was all happening with heavy pressure.
        Ryan is statistically the best passer in the league and a top 5 guy in the country.
        he has the most completions, best completion percentage, most yards, tied for the most touchdowns (12), and averages 282 yards per game.
        He has done all of this while being sacked 30 times in 7 games. WOW!! T jacks have only sacked their oppenent 13 times.
        The jacks have no rushing game to speak of so it makes his job that much tougher. You people are witnessing one of the best passers in Jacks history and all you can do is blame him for throwing a couple of picks. Oh by the way, he has thrown 12 TD"s and 6 picks his last 6 games. Not too bad.
        i understand that the QB position takes more heat and gets more credit then they deserve, but come on people, either learn the game or stay off the board.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
          I am shocked at what i am reading on this message board and i really question the football intelligence of the people that post. Ryan Berry is taking alot of heat on this board and is basically being called out as the person to blame, not only for the cal poly game but for everything that has gone wrong with the team. Last night the kid threw for 260 yards and 3 touchdowns while being sacked 10 times. YES 10 TIMES. you want to say he holds on to the ball too long. have you ever thought that maybe the receivers are not open. he is trying to make something happen. do you want him to throw it away everytime there is pressure. can you recall how many times he threw to a receiver that was WIDE open. every throw had to be perfect last night. and this was all happening with heavy pressure.
          Ryan is statistically the best passer in the league and a top 5 guy in the country.
          he has the most completions, best completion percentage, most yards, tied for the most touchdowns (12), and averages 282 yards per game.
          He has done all of this while being sacked 30 times in 7 games. WOW!! T jacks have only sacked their oppenent 13 times.
          The jacks have no rushing game to speak of so it makes his job that much tougher. You people are witnessing one of the best passers in Jacks history and all you can do is blame him for throwing a couple of picks. Oh by the way, he has thrown 12 TD"s and 6 picks his last 6 games. Not too bad.
          i understand that the QB position takes more heat and gets more credit then they deserve, but come on people, either learn the game or stay off the board.
          Pwned. Great first post, welcome to the board.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

AMEN!

Some of the same posters that are knocking Ryan this week were strangely silent last week when Jimmy dropped 2 game winning Int's in overtime? I wonder if our friends to the North would take our QB right now (their's not only gets sacked a lot, but he throws a lot more picks)? Has anyone thought that if he tries to throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing, we probably would have given up at least a few fumbles?

The loss wasn't Ryan's fault, it wasn't the O line's fault, it wasn't the Defense's fault, it wasn't special teams fault, it wasn't the coaches fault the whole team has areas where it could improve if we want to be a top 5 team. To try to pin it on one guy or one unit is ridiculous.

One last thing, anyone who thinks the coaching staff has done anything less than outstanding through the transition and this season needs to have their head checked. Financially, facilities, and attendance are not anywhere near NDSU, Cal Poly, McNeese, or UNI, and we are competing with these programs. Do you suppose that is because we are such great fans or because the admin, coaching staff, and players truly give everything they have every day they come to work?

I think it is sad that many fans who ACTUALLY SHOW UP for our home games choose to jeer their own team louder than they cheer for it. Many people sitting around me were extremely vocal after botched plays, but sat on their hands when our defense was trying to stop them on 3rd down????? Similar behavior to what I have witnessed at Men's bball games for the last 5 years.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I will only agree with about half of your post. I have not vocally swore at Berry (at least out loud) all year including the Iowa State game and I am one of the most vocal people in my section. Our kicker on the other hand....But I disagree if you are saying Berry is a top five QB in the FCS because they would not be 3-4 with a top five QB even if the defense is blah.

The comment that they have no rushing game to speak of is wrong. Their coaches outthinking the game is why they have not rushed the ball. 300 plus yards last year against Poly on the ground and decide to throw, throw, throw is just dumb. And last night was not the only game. Look at Minnet's stats the first half of the year compared to the last 3 games.

The line protection was not good last night, but he has to realize when time's up, time's up and he's gotta throw the ball out of bounds.

I'm satisfied with Berry at QB this year and don't think anyone behind him would be better. I would just expect a little bit more above the shoulders from a QB with as much starting experience as he has.

Comment

From a statistical stand point he is a top 5 passer in the country and the top passer in the Valley Conference. What do you not understand about the sacks. So would you rather he throw it away 10 times to avoid the sacks or would you rather see him try to make somthing happen. Such as, scramble out of the pocket to avoid the sack and then throw a touch down. Like he did in the first quarter last night.
                I would rather see a better running game too but it isnt happening. right now we are asking too much out of the qb position.
                Not sure if you watched the game last night but our running back ran into a wall just about every time. would you like to see us keep running into the backs of our o line?

Comment

Yeah I agree, you won't hear me blaming anything on Ryan. He has kept us in the game and been a big part of our success the past few years. Sure he has made his share of mistakes but who hasn't? Until we get a line that can protect and a respectable running game, interceptions will continue to happen. How about the number of sacks, 3 and outs, the special teams performace, our inablilities to get stops on defense? I can't even believe we are discussing the quarterback position right now, we have bigger fish to fry!

Comment

From a statistical stand point he is a top 5 passer in the country and the top passer in the Valley Conference. What do you not understand about the sacks. So would you rather he throw it away 10 times to avoid the sacks or would you rather see him try to make somthing happen. Such as, scramble out of the pocket to avoid the sack and then throw a touch down. Like he did in the first quarter last night.
                    I would rather see a better running game too but it isnt happening. right now we are asking too much out of the qb position.
                    Not sure if you watched the game last night but our running back ran into a wall just about every time. would you like to see us keep running into the backs of our o line?
                    No I don't think he should throw the ball away 10 times, but announcers like to talk about the "clock in the qb's head". Gotta know when time's up, then you get rid of it. There were definately instances last night when there wasn't time for either.

13 carries for Minnet last night is pretty much in my mind not even trying. BTW he had 76 yards (over 5 yds per carry). He may have run into the back of linemen, but the guy can't get 8 yards every carry.

Make it be known I fully support the Jacks and Ryan Berry and I definately expect them to rebound like they typically do this time of year and make a big push for the MVC title and a playoff berth.

Comment

• Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                      Yeah I agree, you won't hear me blaming anything on Ryan. He has kept us in the game and been a big part of our success the past few years. Sure he has made his share of mistakes but who hasn't? Until we get a line that can protect and a respectable running game, interceptions will continue to happen. How about the number of sacks, 3 and outs, the special teams performace, our inablilities to get stops on defense? I can't even believe we are discussing the quarterback position right now, we have bigger fish to fry!
                      Wow! Not much love on this board today. Sometimes you need to accept that we were beat'n by a better team last night. I promise you that Coach Stig was or will tell his team it was a team lose. We dropped passes, big time penalties, missed field goals, missed tackles, gave up 10 sacks and YES threw INT's! We are getting everything out of Ryan Berry that he can give us. He is not the mobile QB that Dally or Grace from UNI are. However, Ryan does need to throw the ball away more often to avoid giving up the yardage in sacks that we did last night. O'line is letting us down a little. My football IQ is weak but I would have thought that with all the pressure Ryan was getting we would have seen more screens, draws and shorter pass patterns? If trades were possible in the NCAA I would bet that most teams in our conference would LOVE to trade for Ryan! He can play on my team anytime. I anticipate the Jacks will run off three consecutive wins which will make this fan board much more pleasant.

Couple of comments on the crowd: Pheasant season will never be changed and scheduling games will never center around pheasant season. Just the way it is in South Dakota. Almost takes a family tragedy to pull people away from the pheasant opener.

Student section was whining about, bells, flags, towels etc. What student section? What few students did attend the game were long gone before anything was decided. Nearly 12,000 students and a very low percentage attend games other than Hobo Day.

Its good that so many fans have so many opinions. It makes life interesting and this board lively.

Good luck next week Jacks

Go big, go blue, go Jacks

Comment

I got a headache reading through most of this...so forgive me if someone else pointed this out...but we may have had a better chance if we'd thrown to the TE more.

I was able to catch bits and piece of the game. First time I'd seen Cal Poly's offense. It's damn effective...so much so the high school I coach for runs a very similar offense...Veer and Midline. Get an athletic, intilligent QB surrounded by some good backs and let them do their damage. Doesn't hurt to have quality WR's as well.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          I got a headache reading through most of this...so forgive me if someone else pointed this out...but we may have had a better chance if we'd thrown to the TE more.

I was able to catch bits and piece of the game. First time I'd seen Cal Poly's offense. It's damn effective...so much so the high school I coach for runs a very similar offense...Veer and Midline. Get an athletic, intilligent QB surrounded by some good backs and let them do their damage. Doesn't hurt to have quality WR's as well.
                          TE can't catch a pass when he's pass blocking the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            AMEN!

Some of the same posters that are knocking Ryan this week were strangely silent last week when Jimmy dropped 2 game winning Int's in overtime? I wonder if our friends to the North would take our QB right now (their's not only gets sacked a lot, but he throws a lot more picks)? Has anyone thought that if he tries to throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing, we probably would have given up at least a few fumbles?

The loss wasn't Ryan's fault, it wasn't the O line's fault, it wasn't the Defense's fault, it wasn't special teams fault, it wasn't the coaches fault the whole team has areas where it could improve if we want to be a top 5 team. To try to pin it on one guy or one unit is ridiculous.

One last thing, anyone who thinks the coaching staff has done anything less than outstanding through the transition and this season needs to have their head checked. Financially, facilities, and attendance are not anywhere near NDSU, Cal Poly, McNeese, or UNI, and we are competing with these programs. Do you suppose that is because we are such great fans or because the admin, coaching staff, and players truly give everything they have every day they come to work?

I think it is sad that many fans who ACTUALLY SHOW UP for our home games choose to jeer their own team louder than they cheer for it. Many people sitting around me were extremely vocal after botched plays, but sat on their hands when our defense was trying to stop them on 3rd down????? Similar behavior to what I have witnessed at Men's bball games for the last 5 years.
                            Rep pts

Comment

I don't know know whether to blame injuries to SDSU's O-line, or the overall speed of Cal Poly's defense, but the Jacks' O-line looked overmatched all night. The last few plays of the game, when the Jacks had to try to pass and everyone in the stadium knew what was coming, Berry was a sitting duck. He had no chance of getting a decent pass off. That was painful to watch. Give Cal Poly credit for teeing off with awesome pass rush.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                                Student section was whining about, bells, flags, towels etc. What student section? What few students did attend the game were long gone before anything was decided. Nearly 12,000 students and a very low percentage attend games other than Hobo Day.
                                I hate our student section, I really do. The guys that stand on the rail try to get the students into it but, like I said before, its social hour to them if they show up. They are there to be seen, not to cheer on the Jacks.

I was one of the students to leave last nights game early, with about 4 minutes to go in the fourth and was the only time I have ever left a Jacks game early and will probably be the last.

Comment

Working...
                                X