Game Thread: University of Northern Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game Thread: University of Northern Iowa

This is definitely a tough conference. And with eight conference games, depth becomes key. We're only two years into being fully-funded, which means we're not quite there depth-wise. In a way, our weird three weeks on, three weeks off conference schedule might be a blessing for us. Not that those non-conference games won't be tough (McNeese and Cal Poly are both top-ten teams). But we do get a week off before Cal Poly, and they're not the most physical team in the world (very, very, very talented, but not as physical as, say, UNI or WIU). So maybe we'll heal up a bit going into the "second" conference season which starts with Indiana State more than a month from now. Just a theory.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

SDSU is still in reasonable shape. Jacks did learn again that they can lose. UNI is a top team in the MVFC, and they proved it home. So did the Jacks. We picked up wins vs two teams that were picked above Jacks. We may have lucked out playing the Penguins so early, and in Brookings.

If UNI loses a couple of games in MoValley, that would make the loss today more palatable.

Injury losses will be the challenge for all the teams. Basically, the Bison loss was injury related, and YSU hometown advantage.

SIU is going to be a big game, and it will be interesting if NDSU can knock the Dawgs off in Fargo.

Still in line for an 8-4, or 9-3 year, and with our schedule, either should get us in. No non-counter games.

Comment

I was at the game and in some ways it was worse than the score indicated and in others ways it wasn't as bad. A couple passes that bounced off receivers, balls that weren't caught and the last fumble. And how the defense lost track of Corey Lewis there at the end was hard to figure. But it's too bad UNI had two weeks to prepare for the game and heal up.

Something I'd like to hear from anyone who knows...if there's a rule about this. I noticed it two years ago at the UNI-Dome too. They play loud sound effects over the PA system when the opposing team is in the huddle on 3rd down plays. To me, it's OK for the band to make noise and the fans...but over the PA is at best poor sportsmanship. To be honest, the crowd itself isn't that loud. A couple times the band was actually beating drums and playing when the Jacks were calling signals at the line of scrimmage. I know at Iowa State, the band ALWAYS stops playing when the team gets to the line.

I've only been to the Fargo Dome once...and that was for a Nichols State game...when my son was at NDSU for his freshman year. But the UNI-Dome is definitely an annoying place with the "artifical" noise over the PA.

Disappointing day...but there's always next week.

Comment

Originally posted by crjack View Post
          But the UNI-Dome is definitely an annoying place with the "artifical" noise over the PA.

Disappointing day...but there's always next week.
          I know it sounds like sour grapes and maybe at least in part it is, but I wasn't that disappointed that I couldn't make the trip this year. Sitting the UNIdome listening to the annoying roars and crappy piped-in noise while a football game should be going on outside during a beautiful day just doesn't have that much appeal for me. I was there 2 years ago and just hearing that crappy noise over the radio made me shudder. Now, without a doubt, the butt-kicking provided by UNI was much more the reason for my shuddering. The UNIdome is annoying, great way to describe it.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The UNI-Dome in all actual reality is nothing more than is a slightly larger version of the the Dakota Dome. The Dome itself is not very impressive. The Facilities attached and surrounding it are nice. The Fargo dome is far more impressive simply because seating surrounds all of the field, but then again I am not a big fan as far as domes go anyway. The atmosphere always seems faked. I have talked to many of die hard Bison and Coyote fans that can not disagree, that watching a game at CAS is better than watching one in a dome total atmosphere wise. A very good point was made earlier in that why is it okay for the infamous key rattiling is okay before kickoffs, but cowbells are not allowed.

I suspect that as we all gain more direct experience (as fans) in the MVFC that we will see games like ours against UNI and games like that of NDSU. We dominate YSU, but they beat NDSU at home. NDSU is facing some injury issues much like we are experiencing. If they get healthy and more experienced at some key positions, QB for one, they will still be a dangerous team. Much like ourselves, we need to get healthy across the board and we also will be a dangerous team on the road or at home. Going undefeated in the MVFC is an abnormality. The possibilities of our 2-0 start in the conference might have gotten a little out of hand. I expect a return to normalacy and a continuation of going 1-0 each week. The MVFC is a war, you can lose a battle here and there, but in the end winning the war is the only important goal. Much like George Washington, he didn't win many battles and in most he got his but kicked, but he won some important ones and had a little help along the way.

Comment

It's funny, because I turned to my dad at halftime and asked him "explain to me how it's ok for them to blare music over the loudspeaker right up to the point where we snap the ball, but we can't use cowbells in between plays?" In the 4th quarter thay had music BLARING. The "fighter of injustice" in me was pissed.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                It's funny, because I turned to my dad at halftime and asked him "explain to me how it's ok for them to blare music over the loudspeaker right up to the point where we snap the ball, but we can't use cowbells in between plays?" In the 4th quarter thay had music BLARING. The "fighter of injustice" in me was pissed.
                I think the lesson here is: bring your cowbells, and ring 'em loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                  I think the lesson here is: bring your cowbells, and ring 'em loud.
                  Unfortunately, they would be confiscated at the door. The administration has to get this thing figured out so that our home can be as much as an advantage as UNI's
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    Unfortunately, they would be confiscated at the door. The administration has to get this thing figured out so that our home can be as much as an advantage as UNI's
                    I sure as heck don't want us blaring crappy and annoying music across the speakers like they do at UNI. This issue should be discussed at the next league press conference or meeting. Its ridiculous that the UNIdome staff can blare music and we can't ring a few thousand cowbells.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I sure as heck don't want us blaring crappy and annoying music across the speakers like they do at UNI. This issue should be discussed at the next league press conference or meeting. Its ridiculous that the UNIdome staff can blare music and we can't ring a few thousand cowbells.
                      That's my point. I hate that crap my self, the Fargodome is another place that uses the announcer also to keep the crowd into it and I have always hated that. But the administration needs to find out how much they can allow without overstepping the bounds. The problem with cowbells is you can't control the fans during plays. But the band could learn some new music and play during down times while the other team is on offense. Even drum cadences would keep the atmosphere going and maybe even pump some extra life into the crowd.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I could hear the noise on the WNAX broadcast.

Time to write a polite letter of inquiry to the league office about the rules and whether UNI is gaming the rules. I'll mail that letter tomorrow and post the response.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I could hear the noise on the WNAX broadcast.

Time to write a polite letter of inquiry to the league office about the rules and whether UNI is gaming the rules. I'll mail that letter tomorrow and post the response.
                          You are the man, keep it short, sweet and polite as you stated.

Comment

Just a few things from what I saw at the game... I was really suprised how bad we were beat up front on both sides of the ball. On offense it was obviously with the pathetic run game and pressure on Ryan all game. I thought Ryan played really well especially with all the pressure. On top of that, the recievers could have helped him out on 3 or 4 passes that were dropped. I know that they have a really good front seven but the rushing game was a huge factor in the game.

That brings me to the defense. We couldn't get pressure on the quarterback for the most part. The few times we did, they couldn't rap Grace up and it led to huge plays. The biggest plays of the game were broken plays for the most part. The secondary played decent, especially with our safety situation. Of course there were a few plays that the secondary should have made, especially cole's missed pick and a few other times where I thought a play could have been made on the ball. I also didn't like the call to go for it on fourth down in the first quarter. Why not punt the ball down close and play the field position. The biggest play of the game to me was when they pinned us deep at the end of the 2nd quarter. We couldn't move the ball and they ended up getting the TD with like 20 seconds left or whatever it was. Another huge problem was the difference in our team having to settle for 3 points when we got in the red zone and our defense not being able to hold UNI to field goals. You can't trade field goals for touchdowns.

My blood pressure is still through the roof today! This makes me feel a little better. I think I might be bad luck...I have been at the Ia. St game and this one and we have looked terrible. Maybe I should just listen or watch the games on the internet. On to next week though... still plenty of season left. We need to get healthy and get ready for the rest of the conference games. It's going to be a dog fight every week.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              It's not real tough to sneak them in. Just stuff it in your sweatshirt or your lady's purse.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                but I wasn't that disappointed that I couldn't make the trip this year. Sitting the UNIdome listening to the annoying roars and crappy piped-in noise while a football game should be going on outside during a beautiful day just doesn't have that much appeal for me.
                                Ditto.

Felt the same way after the NDSU game 2 years ago. Only live 2hrs from Cedar Falls, but the dome kept me home. It's obvious they create a home field adavantage above outdoor stadiums and grass (another disc.)

I believe the UMN game next year will be in the new stadium, if not may skip that one also.

Comment

Working...
                                X